Experts believe China will overtake the US as most Christian nation by 2025

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Experts believe China will overtake the US as most Christian nation by 2025
"China has a long way to go to catch up with the U.S.'s Christian population. According to Pew Research, more than 78% of the U.S.'s population of nearly 318 million identifies as Christian.

The People's Republic of China, which is officially an atheist country, has a population of nearly 1.4 billion. As of 2010, just 5% of China's population, or roughly 67 million people were Chrisitian, according to Pew Research, making it the seventh largest Christian country.

Professor Yang, who wrote 'Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule', believes the number of Christians in China will rise to 160 million by 2025 and 247 million by 2030, just as America's Christian population appears to be waning."

Who would have expected China out of all places.

More Info

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2014, 12:12 AM
RE: Experts believe China will overtake the US as most Christian nation by 2025
Missionaries. Lots and lots of missionaries.

To a major church, I bet the thought of a country that size tithing looks like a juicy steak to a starving dog.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
29-04-2014, 12:16 AM
(29-04-2014 12:12 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Missionaries. Lots and lots of missionaries.

To a major church, I bet the thought of a country that size tithing looks like a juicy steak to a starving dog.

Yeah I mean only 5% is 67 million, that's a lot of people for only 5% of the population. I can't begin to fathom the idea of most if not all of China being Christians.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-04-2014, 12:28 AM
crouching tiger. hidden evidence

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
29-04-2014, 12:35 AM
(29-04-2014 12:28 AM)sporehux Wrote:  crouching tiger. hidden evidence

Your avatar compliments so many of your posts.

29-04-2014, 06:17 AM
(28-04-2014 11:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Professor Yang, who wrote 'Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule', believes the number of Christians in China will rise to 160 million by 2025 and 247 million by 2030, just as America's Christian population appears to be waning."

Here's the problem with his assertion: he's defining "most Christian nation" as the one with the highest number of Christians as opposed to the highest proportion of Christians (which is what most people tend to think when they hear that phrase).

Now, there isn't anything entirely wrong with that metric, but bear in mind that according to his methodology, China will simultaneously be the most Christian and the most atheist country. So, his words are technically true, and misleading as hell.

When a country has a population of 1.4 billion people, it tends to be the most anything country that you want to measure in terms of raw numbers.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
29-04-2014, 06:34 AM
(29-04-2014 06:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Professor Yang, who wrote 'Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule', believes the number of Christians in China will rise to 160 million by 2025 and 247 million by 2030, just as America's Christian population appears to be waning."

Here's the problem with his assertion: he's defining "most Christian nation" as the one with the highest number of Christians as opposed to the highest proportion of Christians (which is what most people tend to think when they hear that phrase).

Now, there isn't anything entirely wrong with that metric, but bear in mind that according to his methodology, China will simultaneously be the most Christian and the most atheist country. So, his words are technically true, and misleading as hell.

When a country has a population of 1.4 billion people, it tends to be the most anything country that you want to measure in terms of raw numbers.

Well when you put it that way..

29-04-2014, 06:37 AM
(28-04-2014 11:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  "China has a long way to go to catch up with the U.S.'s Christian population. According to Pew Research, more than 78% of the U.S.'s population of nearly 318 million identifies as Christian.

The People's Republic of China, which is officially an atheist country, has a population of nearly 1.4 billion. As of 2010, just 5% of China's population, or roughly 67 million people were Chrisitian, according to Pew Research, making it the seventh largest Christian country.

Professor Yang, who wrote 'Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule', believes the number of Christians in China will rise to 160 million by 2025 and 247 million by 2030, just as America's Christian population appears to be waning."

More Info

Those damn commies have just completely forgotten what it means to be a commie; everybody's equal, and (unofficially) everybody's an atheist.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-04-2014, 06:50 AM
(29-04-2014 06:37 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  "China has a long way to go to catch up with the U.S.'s Christian population. According to Pew Research, more than 78% of the U.S.'s population of nearly 318 million identifies as Christian.

More Info

Those damn commies have just completely forgotten what it means to be a commie; everybody's equal, and (unofficially) everybody's an atheist.

No offense meant to anyone but
[Image: 8gc1c.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-04-2014, 07:14 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that many of these people were crypto-religious during the bad old days, and also keep many traditional beliefs alongside their Christianity.

My personal anecdata is that young Chinese people don't give a shit about religion. But, that sample is anything but representative.

... this is my signature!