Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-02-2011, 09:14 PM

RE: Explain Yourself

Username: I've butted heads with a few theists who argue that evolution tells us humans evolved from apes (I've been face to face with the "I don't come from no damn monkey!" argument more than once) and a self-deprecating description of myself as an artist.
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2011, 12:43 PM

USERNAME: Bethany is my brithname and Ruthie is a fake name that I used when I was younger for the internet. (People warned us of the dangers of putting real information on the internet, I know, it was stupid to use a fake name and everything.)

AVATAR: I was too lazy to google search an image, so I used a butterfly image that was provided.

SIGNATURE: I'm a big fan of Marilyn Monroe and this is one of my favorite quotes by her!
17-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Username: Maqeurious was the name of someone I knew at school. I liked it and have used it online for over 10 years now. I shortened it to Maqi since some people couldn't spell it right. It's weird, but I like it.

Avatar: Meh, just my custom character from Mass Effect 2. Will probably change it at some stage.

Title: What can I say, I love lamp Tongue

Signature: Can't remember who said it, but I like it. Appropriate at the time.
17-02-2011, 09:20 PM
(17-02-2011 07:13 PM)Maqeurious Wrote:  Avatar: Meh, just my custom character from Mass Effect 2. Will probably change it at some stage.

Why change it? It looks nice.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2011, 02:13 AM

(17-02-2011 09:20 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(17-02-2011 07:13 PM)Maqeurious Wrote:  Avatar: Meh, just my custom character from Mass Effect 2. Will probably change it at some stage.

Why change it? It looks nice.

Daww.. thanks Big Grin I must admit, I am rather fond of my little Maqi Shepard Cool
20-02-2011, 03:34 AM

USERNAME: Named after the fictional mutants from the anime Elfen Lied

AVATAR: The main character from that anime, Lucy.

TITLE: Taken from the Rob Zombie song, although most people should already be able to guess that.

SIGNATURE: One of my favorite quotes from my favorite poet of all time, T.S. Eliot. It also includes a link to the full poem the quote comes from in case you want to read it (but be warned, it's long).
28-03-2011, 12:09 AM
User name: This may come as a shock to you, but my name is Michael.

Avatar: This is the logo of the Laughing Man, as seen in the animated series Ghost in the Shell S. A. C.

Signature: This is a quote of a quote. The original statement can be found in "Catcher in the Rye", but was also quoted by the Laughing Man.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
29-03-2011, 10:51 PM

USERNAME: Zombies are people that lack the capacity to think for themselves (which is why you often see them trying to steal other people's brains). Because zombies can't think for themselves, they are very easily programmed; sadly this means that anyone can program them, including people that take advantage of others. Unfortunately it is very hard to unprogram zombies or to even slightly alter their code. Sometimes they're programmed to eat brains, sometimes they're programmed to spew propaganda, sometimes they are programmed to regurgitate pre-made arguments, arguments which they most often don't understand and cannot defend when challenged. Fortunately no one in the real world is 100% zombie, although it certainly may seem like I at times. Zombies are everywhere. There are Republicans zombies, Democrat, nice, mean, anarchist, communist, theist, and atheist. The more like-minded zombies there are in one place, the more zombie-like they become. I do not want there to be any zombies, I am AgainstZombies.

TITLE: What I am. I was going to put Atheist. Humanist. Skeptic. Mathematician. Magician. but I ran out of room, the A means atheist and can also be read as the English indefinite article "a".

SIGNATURE: A couple of my favorite quotes.
31-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Why did you choose your avatar? Your username? Your custom title? Your signature? Inquiring minds want to know!

Avatar: Robert Ingersoll. I've read his works, as much poetry as clear thinking. Intending to visit his birthplace museum in Dresden, NY some day.

Username: Nells. I grew up listening to the Neil Rogers (AM Radio) Show in south Florida. He passed away recently and his show brought me great joy and entertainment for years.

Custom Title: to be determined.. something to do with freethought I'm sure..

Signature: It was hard to pick just one quote, and keep it short enough to fit. It will be some time before that's finalized I'm sure. Heretics And Herecies has a good deal of history to it in addition to the usual prose and heart behind Ingersoll's other works.

"Heresy is the eternal dawn, the morning star, the glittering herald of the day. Heresy is the last and best thought. It is the perpetual New World, the unknown sea, toward which the brave all sail. It is the eternal horizon of progress."
-Robert Ingersoll, Heretics And Herecies (1874)
01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
update

Nickname: I always liked an observing position on the world.
Avatar: My daughter when she was 2 weeks
Forum title: I'm on this site to find out how to raise a freethinking child, but... I am also on this world so she could get born
Signature: A clash between the everyday world and events and outrageous theistic claims.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post