Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
RE: Explain Yourself
Here are my reasons, such as they are:

USERNAME: For sometime I've used some variation of my given name and dancing, as that is one of my passions. This one came from YouTube, where it seems there was already a "Dancingstan" and I was too tired to come up with something different at the time. I used it here because I just subscribed to The Thinking Atheist's channel on YouTube.

AVATAR: Well that's simple, it's a picture of me on my way to a formal waltz ball, with my companion's picture cropped out to preserve her annonminity. As a point of some pride I might add that the bow tie was tied by myself.

TITLE: I just thought it sounded better than "junior member" or whatever generic title I was assigned.

SIGNATURE: Probably my all time favorite quote, and I'm not really sure if I can explain why. Surprisingly, not by one of my all time favorite comedians, though one I've been happily entertained by on occasion.

Anythig else you want to know about me please feel free to ask. Of course I'll answer or not at my pleasure and discretion.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Is that ballroom dancing? I spent over ten years doing that.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
It's a variation of some ballroom steps, but mostly we consider ourselves "social" dancers, no ribbons, awards and few "do's" and "don'ts". just some folks enjoying the music, each other, and having fun. I do some swing, foxtrot, nightclub two-step, as much waltzing as I can find, country two step, and an awful lot of Cajun and Zydeco. I love to Polka, but can't find much of that here in Seattle. Hope you're still dancing. I'm so beat after a day at the library that I don't get out nearly as often as I'd like, but I'm trying to make force myself to get out at least once a week or so. I used to go out 5 nights a week, but just can't manage that now. And the nice thing is that it is all VERY secular, so religion rarely comes up.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
05-04-2011, 01:01 AM
I haven't been dancing for about twelve years. My ladyfriend who I have been with is in a wheelchair and can't dance. I don't feel like going dancing and leaving her at home, or taking her to watch me dance with other women. She is the love I want to stay with.

I enjoyed dancing when I did it, but I am happy with my lady and I just don't feel like dancing anymore.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
05-04-2011, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 01:29 AM by Dancingstan1.)
I can fully understand that, and didn't mean for my "hope you're still dancing" statement to be in any way thoughtless. There are a lot of reasons to take up and put down activities and interests, and yours is truly a compassionate and loving one, and goes to show that we truly don't need god to be good. Your response warmed my heart and I thank you for sharing it.
Hi again, just wanted to say that I really enjoy and appreciate your signature quote.

05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
My user name is Norseman, because I'm a Norseman.
My avatar is a Norseman, --------||-----------
My title is a really cool smiley. Smile
My signature is my own wording of a phrase from "The selfish gene", a truly remarkable book.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
05-04-2011, 11:03 PM
(05-04-2011 01:25 AM)Dancingstan1 Wrote:  I can fully understand that, and didn't mean for my "hope you're still dancing" statement to be in any way thoughtless.

Not thoughtless at all. Just normal, friendly conversation.
(05-04-2011 01:25 AM)Dancingstan1 Wrote:  Hi again, just wanted to say that I really enjoy and appreciate your signature quote.

I rewrote a line from a Beatles song.

06-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I knew that sounded familiar, but it was late. Thanks for the responses.

07-04-2011, 03:18 AM
My nickname comes from my last name, and I will not tell you what that is.

My avatar is something I like, and I use it on all other forums for years now, so I like ti stick to recognizable things.

Signature is reference to Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy. That book explains the making of the universe and religions better than anything else I've seen. You just need to read between the lines.

Haven't figured out my title yet...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
(07-04-2011 03:18 AM)Filox Wrote:  Haven't figured out my title yet...

How about "the question"? Wink

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you