Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
28-07-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: Explain Yourself
There is no explanation. There is only insanity. Big Grin

But I'm so ridiculously in love with Gwyneth Paltrow, I made an anti-religion outta it. Which is my siggy. Which is a link. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello!

Username: I chose the name Omninescient, basically to throw people off and get them thinking, or to weed out those who instantly assume it means something the likes of omniscient. Using a double prefix, I call myself "all ignorant" because I occasionally discover flaws within my own knowledge or reason which lead to the need for a recalculation of everything I know.

Avatar: As a member of the religiously liberal Unitarian Universalist church, I enjoy learning about other religions, as such, I have many of their symbols on my picture.

Title: 'Spiritual Anarchist' is a term I would love to see become common. It represents the belief that religious institutions should not exist, and that the quest for spirituality should be the choice of each individual to partake in.

Signature: My favorite transcendalism quote, which encourages individuality within society, and avoiding the controlling norms of society.

“It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Omninescient's post
08-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Username: Yvette was the name of my grandmother who claimed she was one of the anointed 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses who supposedly will rule with Jehovah in heaven. She also had a child die from leukemia, a husband who died young from cancer and she suffered from dementia and died when I was young. I guess I use her name to remind myself how the Jehovah's Witnesses (and religion in general) will exploit a person's weaknesses to gain control over them.

Avatar: I am a big fan of Doctor Who. To get myself through the JW meetings whenever I follow along in a bible or quietly sing along with the hymns I replace 'God' or 'Jehovah' with 'The Doctor', and his 'Kingdom' with his 'TARDIS'. I found it is the only way to keep myself sane while I pretend to follow along. I couldn't take even fake worshipping Jehovah, so instead I pretend we are in the DW universe and instead we are a small cult where everyone is worshipping the Doctor after hearing the stories about him. Oddly I would rather pretend he is God.

Title: 'Witness to the Jehovah's Witnesses'. I think that is fairly self explanatory. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and I have seen how they operate as a cult and how they control people. Now I am ready to take the stand and bear witness... against the witnesses.
[+] 2 users Like Yvette's post
17-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Username: Right now I'm really keen on nature and I've been reading a lot of fairy tales, so the two seemed natural to combine in a username. It also fits well with the image I wanted for my avatar.

Avatar: A lovely picture (sadly uncredited) that I found while browsing Tumblr. I love the art style of it, so I wanted it for my avatar. Also goes well with my username.

Title: I enjoy thinking and learning how other people think. I also chose it because it represents my de-conversion to atheism in that I finally learned to think critically about religious "facts" I was taught as a child.

Signature: I don't have one as of yet because I haven't been able to find something sufficiently interesting.
17-08-2013, 09:41 PM
(16-03-2010 03:19 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Why did you choose your avatar? Your username? Your custom title? Your signature? Inquiring minds want to know!

As for myself:

USERNAME: Taken from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Good series. Read it if you have the time.

AVATAR: The Speech Bobblehead from Bethesda Softworks' triumph, quite possibly the greatest video game ever made: Fallout 3. Throughout the post-apocalyptic waste that is the game's setting, several Vault Boy Bobbleheads are scattered. Each of them gives a bonus to the corresponding skill or S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute. The Speech Bobblehead looks the best as an avatar.

EDIT: Current avatar is simply Vault Boy rather than the bobblehead.

TITLE: Also from Fallout 3, Vault-Tec was the company in charge of creating the Vaults, the underground shelters intended to protect selected groups of humanity from nuclear war.

SIGNATURE: Taken from Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett is my all-time favorite author. He mixes satire, absurdist comedy and incredible storytelling in a way that no other writer has ever matched.

EDIT: Current signature is the Vault-Tec motto.

Because "Bob" is the ONE TRUE DEITY! And on X-Day 8661 when those pleasure saucers arrive, the Pinks and Norms shall know vengeance! For in this day, my boss shall suckle at the base of my toenails and cosmic space whores shall bring me rivers of rum! THOU PINKS AND NORMS FOR THE RAVAGINGS OF THE RAPE BEARS HATH BEEN RESERVED FOR YEW! AMEN! That's why. Don't believe me? Prove it's not true? Can't prove a negative? CHECK MATE!

For the Love and Will of "Bob" is not found in what he can do for you, but in what he allows you to do to yourselves. You'll pay to know what you really think.

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
18-08-2013, 07:52 AM
username: Nickname
signature: Cool quote imho.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours.
23-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi, I am Alex.
I am very pleased to meet you all.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
13-09-2013, 06:06 PM
USERNAME: Years ago in my sophomore high school history class, we were talking about the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria; from which I said aloud "Man, I wanna get assassinated." and since, I am Ferdinand.

AVATAR: Mia Wallace from pulp fiction. Found the art on Society6, by an artist named Ruben Ireland.

TITLE: From the movie Cry Baby, but besides that, it's just what I am.

SIGNATURE: Also from the movie Cry Baby, though I originally chose the specific quotes because they were placed at the end of one of my favorite songs, "Pleased to meet you" by Trapped Under Ice.

Thread revived. Tongue

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
13-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Photo: big bang art,i added the humanist and atheist logo myself.

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
17-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I have come to be an atheist much like Seth. I was sort of an insider looking out. Then I became an outsider looking in because I was once on the inside. I am a young atheist. I always doubted reliogn though. My parents got divorced. I wanted to live with my dad, but I was stuck with my mom and two sisters. My mom began, out of the blue, forcing me to go to church. After a while of fighting it, she didn't force me. This is when I began doubting overall. I looked into the religon more closely. I took all of the science I knew. I had evolution fresh in my mind. I will admit that I am not too firm with the belief in evolution. I take more belief in evolution more that creation. My mom is still a heavy believer. She told me that the great flood made the oceans. I continuously roll my eyes about all the people my mom tries to show me. I want to get to know you all. Hope to see you all soon.