Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-09-2010, 10:30 PM

RE: Explain Yourself
I first declared an unbelief in god when I was about 5 yrs old, however I went back and forth on the question for many years after out of a fear of being roasted for eternity in the fiery pits of hell (what a lovely christian thought...). My family is not particularly religious but my mothers side are very prone to irrational superstition - ghosts, spirits, karma etc.
When I was young, my main issue with religion derived from the fact that I was an animal lover. The whole 'man is placed on earth to have dominion...' thing made me feel uneasy and I couldn't think of a more 'evil' proposition.
As an adult, I genuinely feel that morality is my main opposition to religion. Being an unbeliever, I am free to question the authority of anyone I want to. Religious people do not seem to give themselves that freedom. Specifically, they never question god. They never (in my experience) pray to the almighty to NOT destroy the world. To NOT roast people in hell. To NOT destroy all living things at the end of time. For me, this makes their entire morality suspect.
I'm a big fan of the four horseman and they have quantified and given a name to many of the issues that I wrestled with for most of my life. Hitchens in particular, cuts through the BS and unapologetically states the things that I have felt but been unable to articulate adequately. I HAVE always felt that god is a dictator. I HAVE always wanted the option to remove myself from god's hideous floorshow. I don't want a life beyond this one - not that this one has been in any way bad for me. Believing that this life is just an illusion before the main event cheapens and demeans us. This is not a video game, where the cosmic reset button will employed at the end of time so that we can 'Play Again'.
Discovering the Thinking Atheist has also been a revelation (no pun intended). It's wonderful to hear from people who are were once religious but have since seen the light. The videos are brilliant because they address some pretty tough issues, whilst not coming across as being too confrontational. The one which really affected me was the called 'Set Yourself Free' - comparing religious belief to battered woman syndrome. Superb.

BTW my avatar is pretty self explanatory. I'm a pretty cool homind!
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2010, 02:26 AM
(25-09-2010 10:30 PM)derrick Wrote:  They never (in my experience) pray to the almighty to NOT destroy the world. To NOT roast people in hell. To NOT destroy all living things at the end of time. For me, this makes their entire morality suspect.

Good observation, Derrick. I have never heard anyone say that before. They all seem to want the end of time, armageddon and everyone they don't agree with to go to hell. I am sure that the threat of hell is the biggest obstacle for people who would otherwise leave their religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2010, 01:55 PM

The avatar is Evolutionary steps, but WITH A TWIST! Lol, I also have a friend who is a karate instructor and it reminded me of him.
The user name should be relatively easy to guess on, I enjoy and relish in atheism. I also encourage people to break free from some of the unrealistic doctrines or ideals that most religions support.
My title is my "religious" belief (may the FSM reach out and touch you with his noodley appendage. RAmen).
And my signature kind of sums up on of the main reasons I am not agnostic, but atheist.
01-10-2010, 04:40 AM
My username is just my first two initials, followed by my last name. My signature rapidly changes, but I'll usually put an interesting quote in there. I don't have an avatar and I don't really plan on getting one.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
28-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, since alot of peoples info has changed.

Avatar > An Argentine Boa. (She's my biggest girl at 16 feet, so I like to show her off)
Title > Everybody's always looking for a "better mousetrap". Well, evolution has created the ultimate mousetrap for us. (See avatar)
Sig > just a little snippet I plucked out of Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth.

Just visiting.

-SR
28-10-2010, 12:04 PM
AVATAR: The Schocktruppen from Take On You Games' epic war game Operation: TANNHÄUSER.

TITLE: Self-explanatory.

SIGNATURE: One of my favorite Terry Pratchett quotes.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2010, 05:35 PM

I woke up one morning, after having found this site and browsed the forums for awhile the night before, deciding I would join and while laying there wondering what screen name I would choose, my kitten hopped up onto the bed, onto my chest, turned around with her tail raised and as she was about to curl her butt into a lay down, poofed right in my face.

Gassy Kitten. Wink
28-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Avatar: Hero Prinny of Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? dood! Tongue

Title: I was easily amused at the fact that the field of study that interested me most has a "LOL" right in the middle of it. Tongue

Signature: It reads "Aru toki, kami-sama to hanasukoto ga dekimashita. | Demo, naraeba narauhodo kikoemasen."
Which means
"There was a time when I could speak with God. However the more I learn, the less audible he is."

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
29-10-2010, 01:19 AM
You speak Japanese, Levi?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
29-10-2010, 01:22 AM
(29-10-2010 01:19 AM)Juppers Wrote:  You speak Japanese, Levi?

Not perfectly, but conversationally yeah. Tongue I'm living in Japan, so at least enough to let me survive. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.