Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-03-2010, 05:15 PM
RE: Explain Yourself
I admire your goatee... I too am a man of facial hair. Cheers.

No sarcasm, I'm serious Tongue Nice goatee!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2010, 05:17 PM

(16-03-2010 05:15 PM)Green Wrote:  I admire your goatee... I too am a man of facial hair. Cheers.

No sarcasm, I'm serious Tongue Nice goatee!

Thanks, trying for a modified Tony Stark look
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes martinb59's post
16-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Use name: The "Dr" stands for "Doctor".. cause that's my title. "Neko" is Japanese for "Cat", my friends call me "Neko" or "Black Cat" cause I am very feline both in nature and the way I move, according to my martial arts friends. I also have cat like eyes so sometimes they call me "Neko face" or any variation of that. The "DR" is where I currently live.

The Avatar is me... in my adventuring hat.

Signature: Haven't made up my mind on one.
16-03-2010, 05:30 PM
May I point you to the Terry Pratchett quote file? I'm sure that you can find one you like in there. The man is a veritable factory of memorable philosophical insights and pithy one-liners.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2010, 05:34 PM

(16-03-2010 05:26 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Use name: The "Dr" stands for "Doctor".. cause that's my title. "Neko" is Japanese for "Cat", my friends call me "Neko" or "Black Cat" cause I am very feline both in nature and the way I move, according to my martial arts friends. I also have cat like eyes so sometimes they call me "Neko face" or any variation of that. The "DR" is where I currently live.

The Avatar is me... in my adventuring hat.

Signature: Haven't made up my mind on one.

Shotokan Karate for almost 20 years, the last tens years just punching a bag, I can never make it to classes.
16-03-2010, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2010 06:05 PM by Unbeliever.)
A few choice selections from Pratchett's work:

People have believed for hundreds of years that newts in a well mean that the water's fresh and drinkable, and in all that time never asked themselves whether the newts got out to go to the lavatory.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

-- Death appeals to Azrael (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)

He wanted to go home. He wanted it so badly that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was not fighting with every trick he knew, if the price was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves... Then it was too high.
History finds a way? Well, it would have to come up with something good, because it was up against Sam Vimes now.
- Terry Pratchett, "Night Watch"

"What kind of human creates his own policeman?"
"One who fears the dark."
"As he should," said the entity, with satisfaction.
"Indeed. But you misunderstand. I'm not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in." The lantern's light cut through the darkness. "Call me... the Guarding Dark. Imagine how powerful I must be."
- Terry Pratchett, Thud!
Terry Pratchett's books each deal with a different topic - Night Watch with morality, Reaper Man and Hogfather with what it means to be human, Thud! with racism, et cetera. He wrote one on religion: Small Gods. One of the best-known quotes from it is this:

"I think," said Brutha slowly, "I think... you should do things because they're right. Not because some god tells you to. They might say something different another time."

Another one, and one of my personal favorites:

Gods like to see an atheist around. It gives them something to aim at.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
16-03-2010, 07:57 PM
My daughter is a shotokan protegee. Very cool.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
16-03-2010, 08:43 PM

USERNAME: I love Superman. I love everything about the character, his pros, his cons, the turmoil he has inside, and the heroics he has achieved in the comics, in the movies, and in the cartoons. I believe more in the comic book character of Superman than I do in Jesus!

AVATAR: Just put one in (didn't know how to do it). Superman crashing through a metal wall. Pure, unadulterated POWER! I also used to body build, so this seemed fitting for what I WISH I could eventually do! Smile

TITLE: SUperman related.

SIGNATURE: I love blues music, especially Canadian Blues artist Colin James. The song "Man's gotta be a stone" is the first track on his newest album, Rooftops and Satellites. Just seems to say so much about what a person should be like when dealing with life.
17-03-2010, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2010 04:18 AM by Juppers.)
USERNAME: I have a 'thing' about Jupiter (the planet), so I was thinking of a term of endearment for it, and 'Juppers' came to mind. I didn't realize the word had any other meanings.

AVATAR: A detail from Salvador Dali's The Metamorphosis of Narcissus. I have such a fascination for this man's work, genius doesn't even begin to describe it.

TITLE: What I am.

SIGNATURE: A conclusion I have reached while studying humankind, but as always, someone got there before me.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
17-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Username: My name. It's quite unusual, so I use it everywhere I go and there's never someone else with it.

Avatar: I've always been a huge Simpsons fan. I found this fish (blinky) years ago on the web and I've had it as an avatar ever since, everywhere I go.

Title: Haven't come up with one. I'm not that original...

Signature: A Simpsons quote that I like. I put it in Spanish because that's how I learned it and the joke is funnier because in Spanish, "cielo" means sky and heaven too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hi, I'll explain my story. bigcatlover2000 21 1,343 15-12-2011 03:49 PM
Last Post: bigcatlover2000