Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-07-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Explain Yourself
Username: The song Dream Weaver, by Gary Wright. I like the sound of it.

Avatar: see that one falling cupcake? That's me. Smile

Signature: I just think that quote is so ironically hilarious. That quote was said before the atomic bomb was created, I'm sure.

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DreamWeaver's post
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Username: My name it Tom and back in my late teens early twenties my best friends name alo started with a T. We were both AC/DC fans and people startede refering to us as TNT. And, I am a Philly sports nut.
Avatar: I didn't really like that movie.
08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Explain Yourself
(27-06-2012 10:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 10:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Cause zero has interesting origins...

[Image: zeroofgod.jpg]

The original zero. Thumbsup

I always thought that was a booger.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-08-2012, 05:06 PM
A little more about me...

The well known adage "Do you want to be right, or do you what to be happy" is a tricky dichotomy. The first thought that flashes thru my mind is the being right makes me happy. So why choose?

First, to avoid confusion, let me lay down what I mean by being "right."

What it doesn't mean is that I know better.
What is means is that I keep my mind open to arguments, evidence, logic, and knowledge from different sources, in the quest for accurate knowledge. In other words, "Truth" that stands scrutiny and examination and stays unharmed because of firm logic, evidence, and so forth.
Even after the most solid and successful arguments, one must still keep in mind that new evidence can change the game. Hence, the need to keep a reasonably open mind. There is such a thing as a paradigm shift.

So the quest for Truth, and more importantly the honest search to understand the questions, are paramount for progress. The questions are just as important as the answers. In fact, I would argue they are more important, as answers may change with new understanding.

So all this seeking, while finding nuggets of truth in the process, makes me incredibly happy.
This is why I don't feel the adage above needs to be a choice. We can have both.

I must be careful though, because I will admit getting frustrated with people who defend what they know so little about. Ignorant but opinionated. It boils my blood… but let's face it; it is my choice to be annoyed. Nobody else should be accused of annoying me. I'm the only one to blame for that. Still, I have to breath deeply when people defend an opinion that for the most part, they plucked off their TV or the net. There is no denying that the masses are not seekers, but choose to believe the "ready-to-wear" garbage from their favorite network.

In view of this, my biggest fear is my, our, natural tendency for confirmation bias. And my biggest frustration is that so many don't even acknowledge they have it -- not mentioning those who don't even know what it is. Did I say frustrating?

But why do I care? After all, even if one wants to believe in fairies and chocolate covered mountains, who the hell am I to deny them their "truth?" Who cares what quest I have, how dare I intrude and shove my perspective of reality in their face?

This is something I battle with. I should persuade myself to cease believing that my life's search is worth sharing. It shouldn't matter to me what others believe -- especially if they find bliss in the process. I should just be happy for them.

Please bear with me, as I now will try to justify myself about how I feel about this. I will grant the reader that my view may be too much. Just know that I'm not that sure of myself as I write. I'm trying to express my feelings, that's all…

Even if some believe ignorance is bliss, everything points to the fact that knowledge is power and an advantage for progress -- leading to bliss also. It's just more work. Drugs are also bliss! To me for example, religion is a drug, albeit a placebo. That's my opinion. The reason I have concluded to that, is because just like drug addicts crave drugs to color an otherwise darker reality -- the religious need Paradise and God to mask the simple mortality we face as humans. I would say it's an easy way out if I wasn't religious for the most part of my life - because being religious is accepting some major shackles. Not as blissful as it may seem, hindsight.

Anyway, I felt like writing this piece. I'm aware of my shortcomings. Still, everything I have painstakingly searched for, is giving me happiness. I sacrificed so much; to be open about it and be consistent with myself, cost me my family. And if anyone knows anything about me, is that I'm a family man. So it took a lot to be where I am today; an atheist.

I would just like to explain what it means to me to be an atheist:

First, it would be ridiculous to claim as a fact that God doesn't exist. I would never say that.

However - there is strong evidence that the Abrahamic God of the three main religions, does not exist. Why? Because of the written scriptures from where his existence originates. Accurate scientific and archeological knowledge has chipped away to the so-called truths of the Bible. It's validity on the very origins of life, the flood*, the miracles that conveniently have never happened in our recorded times, the absurd and cruel morality of the Mosaic Law that condones genocide, slavery, and the stoning of almost anyone, even a rebellious teen (ack!), etc...
Bottom line, the Bible is a great book - but not trustworthy as Truth.

Hence, the biblical claims that there is such a God makes his existence very improbable. In that sense, there's not a 50/50 chance that he does exist, and being agnostic about it is indeed the same thing as being agnostic of the tooth fairy.

Nobody can "choose" to believe one way or another. However, we can "choose" our sources. Consequently, what we believe can then be influenced by our sources.
I find it sad that such a huge chunk of the world's demography find it normal to trust the Bible. Ironically, NOBODY would trust scientific or medical books that are 2,000 years old. Anyone would find that preposterous.

People are weird to me (as I must be for them). Sigh...

Still, I will never say there is no god. How could I?
BUT -- personally, I have already dismissed the Abrahamic god as a possibility.

So back to the subject. I'm happy, and I don't need to be right -- but I do feel the urge to share the fruit of my hard work; the search and study of a lifetime, past and to come. A quest that almost killed me. There is nothing more violent than fighting confirmation bias, and a lifelong attachment to a belief now disproved. Family will hurt because of you. Some family will actually hurt you. It's emotionally draining… but like all that has a steep price, it is most precious. At the end, the search for Truth is the essence of real happiness. It's the path that brings bliss, not the destination.

Pardon my enthusiasm.

* About the flood and other stories, some say we shouldn't take the Bible literally, like some religions do in pure denial of hard evidence. I agree. But then why take the existence of an all-knowing, all-powerful deity literally? How does that make any more sense? Not take the stories literally, except for the main character. Where's the logic there?
[+] 2 users Like vincedeporter's post
10-08-2012, 05:14 PM
(10-08-2012 05:06 PM)vincedeporter Wrote:  A little more about me...

The well known adage "Do you want to be right, or do you what to be happy" is a tricky dichotomy. The first thought that flashes thru my mind is the being right makes me happy. So why choose?

First, to avoid confusion, let me lay down what I mean by being "right."

What it doesn't mean is that I know better.
What is means is that I keep my mind open to arguments, evidence, logic, and knowledge from different sources, in the quest for accurate knowledge. In other words, "Truth" that stands scrutiny and examination and stays unharmed because of firm logic, evidence, and so forth.
Even after the most solid and successful arguments, one must still keep in mind that new evidence can change the game. Hence, the need to keep a reasonably open mind. There is such a thing as a paradigm shift.

So the quest for Truth, and more importantly the honest search to understand the questions, are paramount for progress. The questions are just as important as the answers. In fact, I would argue they are more important, as answers may change with new understanding.

So all this seeking, while finding nuggets of truth in the process, makes me incredibly happy.
This is why I don't feel the adage above needs to be a choice. We can have both.

I must be careful though, because I will admit getting frustrated with people who defend what they know so little about. Ignorant but opinionated. It boils my blood… but let's face it; it is my choice to be annoyed. Nobody else should be accused of annoying me. I'm the only one to blame for that. Still, I have to breath deeply when people defend an opinion that for the most part, they plucked off their TV or the net. There is no denying that the masses are not seekers, but choose to believe the "ready-to-wear" garbage from their favorite network.

In view of this, my biggest fear is my, our, natural tendency for confirmation bias. And my biggest frustration is that so many don't even acknowledge they have it -- not mentioning those who don't even know what it is. Did I say frustrating?

But why do I care? After all, even if one wants to believe in fairies and chocolate covered mountains, who the hell am I to deny them their "truth?" Who cares what quest I have, how dare I intrude and shove my perspective of reality in their face?

This is something I battle with. I should persuade myself to cease believing that my life's search is worth sharing. It shouldn't matter to me what others believe -- especially if they find bliss in the process. I should just be happy for them.

Please bear with me, as I now will try to justify myself about how I feel about this. I will grant the reader that my view may be too much. Just know that I'm not that sure of myself as I write. I'm trying to express my feelings, that's all…

Even if some believe ignorance is bliss, everything points to the fact that knowledge is power and an advantage for progress -- leading to bliss also. It's just more work. Drugs are also bliss! To me for example, religion is a drug, albeit a placebo. That's my opinion. The reason I have concluded to that, is because just like drug addicts crave drugs to color an otherwise darker reality -- the religious need Paradise and God to mask the simple mortality we face as humans. I would say it's an easy way out if I wasn't religious for the most part of my life - because being religious is accepting some major shackles. Not as blissful as it may seem, hindsight.

Anyway, I felt like writing this piece. I'm aware of my shortcomings. Still, everything I have painstakingly searched for, is giving me happiness. I sacrificed so much; to be open about it and be consistent with myself, cost me my family. And if anyone knows anything about me, is that I'm a family man. So it took a lot to be where I am today; an atheist.

I would just like to explain what it means to me to be an atheist:

First, it would be ridiculous to claim as a fact that God doesn't exist. I would never say that.

However - there is strong evidence that the Abrahamic God of the three main religions, does not exist. Why? Because of the written scriptures from where his existence originates. Accurate scientific and archeological knowledge has chipped away to the so-called truths of the Bible. It's validity on the very origins of life, the flood*, the miracles that conveniently have never happened in our recorded times, the absurd and cruel morality of the Mosaic Law that condones genocide, slavery, and the stoning of almost anyone, even a rebellious teen (ack!), etc...
Bottom line, the Bible is a great book - but not trustworthy as Truth.

Hence, the biblical claims that there is such a God makes his existence very improbable. In that sense, there's not a 50/50 chance that he does exist, and being agnostic about it is indeed the same thing as being agnostic of the tooth fairy.

Nobody can "choose" to believe one way or another. However, we can "choose" our sources. Consequently, what we believe can then be influenced by our sources.
I find it sad that such a huge chunk of the world's demography find it normal to trust the Bible. Ironically, NOBODY would trust scientific or medical books that are 2,000 years old. Anyone would find that preposterous.

People are weird to me (as I must be for them). Sigh...

Still, I will never say there is no god. How could I?
BUT -- personally, I have already dismissed the Abrahamic god as a possibility.

So back to the subject. I'm happy, and I don't need to be right -- but I do feel the urge to share the fruit of my hard work; the search and study of a lifetime, past and to come. A quest that almost killed me. There is nothing more violent than fighting confirmation bias, and a lifelong attachment to a belief now disproved. Family will hurt because of you. Some family will actually hurt you. It's emotionally draining… but like all that has a steep price, it is most precious. At the end, the search for Truth is the essence of real happiness. It's the path that brings bliss, not the destination.

Pardon my enthusiasm.

* About the flood and other stories, some say we shouldn't take the Bible literally, like some religions do in pure denial of hard evidence. I agree. But then why take the existence of an all-knowing, all-powerful deity literally? How does that make any more sense? Not take the stories literally, except for the main character. Where's the logic there?

Welcome. I think you and I are going to get along just fine.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
(10-08-2012 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome. I think you and I are going to get along just fine.Yes

So it seems! Thumbsup
10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
(10-08-2012 06:11 PM)vincedeporter Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome. I think you and I are going to get along just fine.Yes

So it seems! Thumbsup

Hey welcome, vince, and thanks for sharing. I do fear what might happen with a Chas 2.0 entering the forum, but hopefully the world won't come to an end because of it. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
USERNAME: It was the best thing I could think of at the time, I suck a naming.

AVATAR: I was looking on Google under something like "Creationist Demotivational posters" Or something like that, and found "Jesus Face palm; He gave up too so please stop this foolness" to be freakin' hilarious, way I figure, Jesus would be facepalming on his cloud while he watched down on the many Christian Sects. Anybody agree?

TITLE: I got the inspiration from the Magical Sandwich counter argument to the "You can't Disprove it, therefore it's proven!" argument.

SIGNATURE: My signature is a quote from Near, a character in the anime/manga Death Note. I feel it sums up Good and Evil for me, basically; Nobody knows what is good or evil and even if a God does exist, and I had it's teachings before me, I will decide what is good and what is evil myself.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
(11-08-2012 10:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  TITLE: I got the inspiration from the Magical Sandwich counter argument to the "You can't Disprove it, therefore it's proven!" argument.

You actually made me crave a sandwich. Off to the kitchen I go!

11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
(11-08-2012 11:28 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 10:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  TITLE: I got the inspiration from the Magical Sandwich counter argument to the "You can't Disprove it, therefore it's proven!" argument.

You actually made me crave a sandwich. Off to the kitchen I go!

More evidence for the Magical Sandwich! It makes you hungry when you read of it!

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hi, I'll explain my story. bigcatlover2000 21 1,343 15-12-2011 03:49 PM
Last Post: bigcatlover2000