Explain Yourself

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
17-03-2010, 10:54 AM
RE: Explain Yourself
User name: Stark is a modification of my last name, and "Stark Raving Reptiles and Rodents" is my business.

Avatar: Sort of a double edged sword. First off, I love snakes, and have many. Also, the snake is my favorite character in the bible. He's the only one with the balls to defy god and to question his rules.

Title: Alludes to the snake in the garden of eden.

Signature: It just makes sense dammit!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 08:55 PM

USERNAME: my friends and i started a philosophy club at school. and in the club we have an inside joke that we live in the bible belt because our area of Missouri is mostly devout catholics.
I am new and dont realy know how to set an avatar or any of that other stuff. could some on message me and explain?
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 09:12 PM
(17-03-2010 08:55 PM)Atheist in the bible belt Wrote:  I am new and dont realy know how to set an avatar or any of that other stuff. could some on message me and explain?

I'd be happy to help, but it seems you already got an avatar. And welcome.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-03-2010, 09:43 PM

User name: Originally from a song by Iron Maiden, started using it when i was 15 and even though i haven't listened to the band for several years i still like the name.
Avatar: I always get a solid laugh when i see the picture i'm using as an avatar so i just went with it.
Title: Refers to the fact that i live in iceland. Currently located in a 3-story high igloo with high speed internet and my pet polar bear in the yard.
Signature: Pretty self explanatory.
17-03-2010, 09:53 PM
(17-03-2010 09:43 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  Title: Refers to the fact that i live in iceland. Currently located in a 3-story high igloo with high speed internet and my pet polar bear in the yard.

Iceland sounds very icy. The farthest north I have ever been is Boulder, Colorado, US. Being a desert rat, I believe "Cold" is at 15 degrees Celsius (60 F).

I know, stupid question, but what is it like there?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-03-2010, 10:15 PM

(17-03-2010 09:53 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(17-03-2010 09:43 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  Title: Refers to the fact that i live in iceland. Currently located in a 3-story high igloo with high speed internet and my pet polar bear in the yard.

Iceland sounds very icy. The farthest north I have ever been is Boulder, Colorado, US. Being a desert rat, I believe "Cold" is at 15 degrees Celsius (60 F).

It's not really that different from any other place. But here 15 degrees Celsius is not considered to be cold, but actually a fairly warm summer day. The summers never get extremely hot, for example, the average heat in July rarely exceeds 10 degrees Celsius.

Because we are so far north the winters tend to be extremely dark (and fairly cold) and the summers really sunny, f.ex. on the darkest days of winter we have daylight for about 2-3 hours (or even less) and in the brightest days of summer the sun doesn't actually set, you can see it going halfway down and then travel from west to east on the horizon and then start to go up again.

The iclandic population is fairly small, roughly 300.000, and in the capitol city there live about 100.000. However, i'm from a small town in the country with about 600 people living there.

One thing that i find extremely disturbing is the fact that there is no separation of church and state, we have the National church, to which 80% of the nation is a part of. If you still wanna know more, just let me know Smile

You're from the U.S.A. right? what's it like living there?
17-03-2010, 10:35 PM
(17-03-2010 10:15 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  
(17-03-2010 09:53 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  

It's not really that different from any other place. But here 15 degrees Celsius is not considered to be cold, but actually a fairly warm summer day. The summers never get extremely hot, for example, the average heat in July rarely exceeds 10 degrees Celsius.

Because we are so far north the winters tend to be extremely dark (and fairly cold) and the summers really sunny, f.ex. on the darkest days of winter we have daylight for about 2-3 hours (or even less) and in the brightest days of summer the sun doesn't actually set, you can see it going halfway down and then travel from west to east on the horizon and then start to go up again.

The iclandic population is fairly small, roughly 300.000, and in the capitol city there live about 100.000. However, i'm from a small town in the country with about 600 people living there.

One thing that i find extremely disturbing is the fact that there is no separation of church and state, we have the National church, to which 80% of the nation is a part of. If you still wanna know more, just let me know Smile

You're from the U.S.A. right? what's it like living there?

That seems like something I would read in a Harry Potter book. I'm sorry if you find ignorance insulting, hopefully you just find it amusing, but I have lived an extremely sheltered life. I've heard the sun doesn't always set if you far north enough, but it seems so weird. In the capitol my just my state is over a million. The coldest recorded temperature in July there was just over 15 degrees.

I want to say life in the US is normal, but I guess it's not normal to you. Well, excluding Alaska, the sun always sets, temperatures can vary greatly, daylight varies from about 9 hours to 15 hours. We have a separation of church and state, and for the most part it works well, but when most politicians are religious, it's impossible to keep full separation.

I'm sorry, I just can't get over your sun. If the sun didn't set where I live, I would start freaking out. But enough thread jacking.

18-03-2010, 03:25 AM
(17-03-2010 09:43 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  User name: Originally from a song by Iron Maiden, started using it when i was 15 and even though i haven't listened to the band for several years i still like the name.

I used to be a big Maiden fan a few years ago. I still like them though not quite as much. I was actually wondering if your username had anything to do with that song.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Hello

I am an international teacher, in several countries

From the 40 000 "religions" that we have NOW in 2010, I have studied around 400 at "PhD level".

I have built some hundreds of trainings in several languages, to help "clever humans" to fly away from "religions".

Some religious priests/pastors/imams abandoned their religion at the end of the trainings. And after some "excomunication issues" from relatives, they are much better now.

Some of them are visible here http://www.vertika.org (soon in english)

I am building now the "tools" to help to "destroy" some of the most stupid/criminal religions.

If this interests you, contact me
fleurisseur@gmail.com

19-03-2010, 06:15 AM

(17-03-2010 10:54 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Signature: It just makes sense dammit!

Not sure if you mistyped it or just know it differently but I've always heard if from Carl Sagan as "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" (emphasis added).

He originally uses it in relating to the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence but I've also seen an interview where he says that theists could and should use it as well when defending their belief in a deity.

Not being confrontational or critical, just potentially informative Big Grin
USERNAME: Like Ashley, I use it wherever I can to save brainspace.

AVATAR: Saturn. I love astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology in general.

TITLE: A play on words. Couldn't think of anything else.

SIGNATURE: Quotes I have on my FB. Was going to put this one from Dawkins but I assumed it would already be taken on a site like this: "We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Someone else can use it if they feel inclined and can't think of anything. I personally haven't come across it on this forum yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hi, I'll explain my story. bigcatlover2000 21 1,343 15-12-2011 03:49 PM
Last Post: bigcatlover2000