Explain the "furry" thing to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Explain the "furry" thing to me
Maybe it's my age, maybe it's cuz my mom was a meanie and didn't allow me to go out in public dressed as a stuffed animal, maybe I am just clueless, but I am hoping someone here can explain it to me.

My kids were on spring break this past week, we went to Atlanta. We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. On the way in we spotted a person in full costume, and a few others with tails. Inside a group was seated near us, about 10 people with tails, gloves, boots, ears.

We went across to the Westin to have dessert in the spinning restaurant at the top and found the furry convention. There were all sorts of people dressed as a variety of animals. We were talking with a group, but they were half drunk and was hard to follow their thoughts, lol. Met two other guys at dessert that talked with us about it, and frankly I was just amazed at the things he was telling me, ($4000 or more for a costume) that it didn't quite all sink in.

Later, when we were talking as a family, other questions came up, like security--not being able to know who you are talking to, ridicule and abuse from others, does it draw a certain type of person?

We had great fun with the people we met, all were super friendly and thrilled to take pics with the kids.

But still, why?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 08:09 AM
RE: Explain the "furry" thing to me
Drinking Beverage

Consider

Huh

Unsure

No

[Image: angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
23-03-2014, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 08:17 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(23-03-2014 08:06 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Maybe it's my age, maybe it's cuz my mom was a meanie and didn't allow me to go out in public dressed as a stuffed animal, maybe I am just clueless, but I am hoping someone here can explain it to me.

My kids were on spring break this past week, we went to Atlanta. We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. On the way in we spotted a person in full costume, and a few others with tails. Inside a group was seated near us, about 10 people with tails, gloves, boots, ears.

We went across to the Westin to have dessert in the spinning restaurant at the top and found the furry convention. There were all sorts of people dressed as a variety of animals. We were talking with a group, but they were half drunk and was hard to follow their thoughts, lol. Met two other guys at dessert that talked with us about it, and frankly I was just amazed at the things he was telling me, ($4000 or more for a costume) that it didn't quite all sink in.

Later, when we were talking as a family, other questions came up, like security--not being able to know who you are talking to, ridicule and abuse from others, does it draw a certain type of person?

We had great fun with the people we met, all were super friendly and thrilled to take pics with the kids.

But still, why?

Why are people attracted to one sex over another, why are some into BDSM while others prefer things plain? I don't know. But if dressing up in costumes and going out in public and later having sex with other consenting adults that are into the same fetish? Whatever, so long as they're not taking it out on actual animals I have no problem with it. It's weird, but so what? Nerds and geeks who cosplay at Star Wars and Star Trek conventions are weird too. We all have our kinks. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 1345922347005.jpg]

Just be very careful with Google image search on this one kiddies...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-03-2014, 08:14 AM
I got nuthin'.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-03-2014, 08:26 AM
(23-03-2014 08:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Drinking Beverage

Consider

Huh

Unsure

No

I'm not bashing, just confused as to what they get from it.

One asked me what animal I could be if I could choose anything, I couldn't really come up with any. And honestly, those costumes look so fucking hot that I would suffocate in five minutes flat.

23-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Here's on of the pics with my kids

[Image: 13353851793_cf1f337e68.jpg]

23-03-2014, 08:51 AM
(23-03-2014 08:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm not bashing, just confused as to what they get from it.

One asked me what animal I could be if I could choose anything, I couldn't really come up with any. And honestly, those costumes look so fucking hot that I would suffocate in five minutes flat.

I don't get it either. Cosplay is a similar phenomenon. This video may help explain the need to dress up like other people or things. I watched it in class the other day.

There is also a sexual component to it. Furry conventions are apparently like the 60s--many anonymous sex partners--but way more hairy. This video parodies the sexual side of Furries.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
23-03-2014, 08:56 AM
I got the feeling that they were leaving some explanations out because we had the kids with us and they were involved in the conversations too.

And it also got me wondering about the security aspect of it.

23-03-2014, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2014 06:38 AM by ELK12695.)
(23-03-2014 08:06 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Maybe it's my age, maybe it's cuz my mom was a meanie and didn't allow me to go out in public dressed as a stuffed animal, maybe I am just clueless, but I am hoping someone here can explain it to me.

But still, why?

They feel that they are animals rather than human, just like some men or women feel that are the other gender. Often sexuality comes with it. I am not explaining that particular part further to you, for the good of the forum's sanity.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 4 users Like ELK12695's post
23-03-2014, 09:04 AM
(23-03-2014 08:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Drinking Beverage

Consider

Huh

Unsure

No

Lol at that last emoticon.
I vote we implement it immediately and make the bbcode for it be :Chas:

I assume they get out of it the same as what other people get out of their hobbies, fun and enjoyment.
They gather up dressed as stuffed toys, socialize and have fun.
I don't see how this differs from some card club or some weekend sports team where people get together and have fun.

It might seem weird as hell to us but it's not harming anyone and they have fun doing it so who are we to judge?

This is water.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post