Explaining the 'Feels'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: Explaining the 'Feels'
Seems like pretty weak evidence for an all-powerful being...

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2015, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 01:44 PM by Tonechaser77.)
I still feel too. In fact, as an ex fundamentalist pentacostal, i can segway into glossolalia (speaking in tongues) even now and still feel goosebumps and the power of god, hallelujah!

However, religious experience is a natural product of the brain. It happens to many people in many religions. Studies have been done on people who meditate and their brain shows neural activity increasing in their frontal lobes along with a decrease of activity in their temporal lobes.

When a Christian speaks in tongues, there is a decreased amount of activity in the frontal cortices. Since the frontal lobes are used for attention focusing tasks; a decrease in neural activity leads the person to feel like they have less control over their actions.

Studies have also been shown that religious experiences can be replicated using magnetic fields. We can invoke sensing a god-like feeling by very specific patterns of weak transcerebral magnetic fields applied across the temporoparietal region of the two hemispheres.

Even religious conversions that come out of nowhere can be explained by temporal lobe epilepsy (Ramachandran, V.S., and S. Blakeslee. 1998. Phantoms In The Brain: Probing The Mysteries Of The Human Mind. New York: Harper Perennial.)

For further reading I would recommend:
The Neuroscience of Religious Experience by Patrick McNamara here

Yes, the gaps keep getting smaller and smaller. Pretty soon god will need to be anorexic in order to fit in them. :-P

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 5 users Like Tonechaser77's post
28-05-2015, 01:41 PM
"I feel you're wrong. Now we're even."
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2015, 03:52 PM
(28-05-2015 01:35 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I still feel too. In fact, as an ex fundamentalist pentacostal, i can segway into glossolalia (speaking in tongues) even now and still feel goosebumps and the power of god, hallelujah!

[Image: segway-x2-turf.jpg]

Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2015, 04:10 PM
(28-05-2015 03:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 01:35 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I still feel too. In fact, as an ex fundamentalist pentacostal, i can segway into glossolalia (speaking in tongues) even now and still feel goosebumps and the power of god, hallelujah!

[Image: segway-x2-turf.jpg]

Consider

I was just looking at those on eBay. It will be mine. I will be segwaying into tongues on my Segway.

**Crickets** -- God
28-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I'd probably ask exactly what this feels like and how they know it to be their god. Perhaps it is Satan, or a demon, trying to draw them away from their god with good feelings.

"I KNOW it's god!"

"*Shakes head* Just what a demon possessed person would say."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
28-05-2015, 04:29 PM
My attorney has informed me, I'm not to make any declarative statements on matters not pertaining to my case. 😀
28-05-2015, 04:35 PM
People have expressed real feelings, they truly believe that they were abducted by aliens. They've even made believers out of people who are examining them.

In the middle of reading Carl Sagan's book right now by the way.
28-05-2015, 04:47 PM
(28-05-2015 04:35 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  People have expressed real feelings, they truly believe that they were abducted by aliens. They've even made believers out of people who are examining them.

In the middle of reading Carl Sagan's book right now by the way.
I'm assuming you're speaking of "Demon Haunted World"? If so, let me know how you like it. It's a few books back in my queue, but I'd be curious to read a non Amazonian opinion.
28-05-2015, 06:59 PM
*ahem*
You segue.
You ride a Segway.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post