Explaining the 'Feels'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 06:31 AM
RE: Explaining the 'Feels'
(28-05-2015 01:12 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Did you ask her how she could assert that?

No. The last four years has been me treading a fine line between explaining why I feel the way I do and trying not to get divorced. We've only had three or four good discussions on this.

(28-05-2015 01:12 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  This idea of feeling "it" inside is fascinating and infuriating. In the time I tried to be Christian and asked Jesus to dwell within me (man Jesus is a perv), I got a few of the feels, but I always felt like such a doosher cause I knew I created those feelings by wanting them to exist and endorphins did the rest.

In one of our talks, I'd made comment about our brains releasing "happy drugs" in response to "the meaning of life". Really, anything that I might attribute "meaning" to is going to do that. I'm sure I came off as a senseless hedonist (of course, loving God and looking forward to heaven isn't hedonism for unstated reasons).

So, any time I mention endorphins for various things, I always wonder if it bothers her. She believes in them. She knows that things like exercise, sex, and confirmation bias release them. Still, I always get that vibe from her. It's like she doesn't want the "mystery" of conscious thought and value judgments to be boiled down into chemical reactions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-05-2015, 06:43 AM
(29-05-2015 06:31 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 01:12 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Did you ask her how she could assert that?

No. The last four years has been me treading a fine line between explaining why I feel the way I do and trying not to get divorced. We've only had three or four good discussions on this.

(28-05-2015 01:12 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  This idea of feeling "it" inside is fascinating and infuriating. In the time I tried to be Christian and asked Jesus to dwell within me (man Jesus is a perv), I got a few of the feels, but I always felt like such a doosher cause I knew I created those feelings by wanting them to exist and endorphins did the rest.

In one of our talks, I'd made comment about our brains releasing "happy drugs" in response to "the meaning of life". Really, anything that I might attribute "meaning" to is going to do that. I'm sure I came off as a senseless hedonist (of course, loving God and looking forward to heaven isn't hedonism for unstated reasons).

So, any time I mention endorphins for various things, I always wonder if it bothers her. She believes in them. She knows that things like exercise, sex, and confirmation bias release them. Still, I always get that vibe from her. It's like she doesn't want the "mystery" of conscious thought and value judgments to be boiled down into chemical reactions.

I think that's something not often discussed enough is the effects on a couple when one side has an "awakening". And I don't think I'd be wrong to guess that the atheist in duo is the one left walking on eggshells.

My ex was genuinely concerned about my fate of eternity in hell.
29-05-2015, 07:12 AM
(28-05-2015 06:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  *ahem*
You segue.
You ride a Segway.

Correction noted. Smile Thank you Clockwork!

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
29-05-2015, 07:21 AM
The one person who I have blocked both here and on AF tried this. I asked how he could differentiate this from a hallucination, a dream, or something his mind just made up. I chased him around for damn near ten pages asking this. He kept asserting he had answered it but all reading showed he just made vague assertions that amounted to "I have a cultural predisposition towards this god, and I can't tell if I made this up but I assert that I did not." When you are going to be that damn dishonest I"m not going to engage further.
29-05-2015, 07:32 AM
(29-05-2015 07:21 AM)natachan Wrote:  The one person who I have blocked both here and on AF tried this. I asked how he could differentiate this from a hallucination, a dream, or something his mind just made up. I chased him around for damn near ten pages asking this. He kept asserting he had answered it but all reading showed he just made vague assertions that amounted to "I have a cultural predisposition towards this god, and I can't tell if I made this up but I assert that I did not." When you are going to be that damn dishonest I"m not going to engage further.

We could make another thread for non-answer answers alone....

...but I'm not sure I could control my rage.

I said this before, but in the year that I've been here I have yet to see a direct answer from any theist regarding any of the tricky stuff. It's all been tap dancing or claiming to have given a direct answer but truthfully haven't.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some holes to punch in a tree.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
29-05-2015, 08:11 AM
(28-05-2015 01:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hindus "feel" the Supreme Soul of themselves through Shiva. So this must mean the god Shiva is real.

I've used this same example to disprove the "religious experience" proof as evidence of Yahweh.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2015, 08:44 AM
(29-05-2015 07:32 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 07:21 AM)natachan Wrote:  The one person who I have blocked both here and on AF tried this. I asked how he could differentiate this from a hallucination, a dream, or something his mind just made up. I chased him around for damn near ten pages asking this. He kept asserting he had answered it but all reading showed he just made vague assertions that amounted to "I have a cultural predisposition towards this god, and I can't tell if I made this up but I assert that I did not." When you are going to be that damn dishonest I"m not going to engage further.

We could make another thread for non-answer answers alone....

...but I'm not sure I could control my rage.

I said this before, but in the year that I've been here I have yet to see a direct answer from any theist regarding any of the tricky stuff. It's all been tap dancing or claiming to have given a direct answer but truthfully haven't.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some holes to punch in a tree.

There's one over at AF right now complaining of my being rude to him.

Well, duh, I don't like dishonest people.
29-05-2015, 09:07 AM
What is AF?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-05-2015, 09:14 AM
(28-05-2015 12:59 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  There might not be anything more annoying or frustrating than a Christian resorting to "I feel the holy ghost/Jesus/God inside me", as their proof. Quite frankly it makes me want to bitch slap them for being so childish...

...but since I can't, give me your best response to their "feels" claim.

No response could be best response, for I see no reason to grace such absurd claim with something else.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(29-05-2015 09:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What is AF?

http://atheistforums.org/

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP