Explaining the 'Feels'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Explaining the 'Feels'
(28-05-2015 12:59 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  There might not be anything more annoying or frustrating than a Christian resorting to "I feel the holy ghost/Jesus/God inside me", as their proof. Quite frankly it makes me want to bitch slap them for being so childish...

...but since I can't, give me your best response to their "feels" claim.

It's probably just gas.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-05-2015, 11:00 AM
(29-05-2015 10:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 12:59 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  There might not be anything more annoying or frustrating than a Christian resorting to "I feel the holy ghost/Jesus/God inside me", as their proof. Quite frankly it makes me want to bitch slap them for being so childish...

...but since I can't, give me your best response to their "feels" claim.

It's probably just gas.

just gas! Laughat
Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-05-2015, 12:35 PM
(28-05-2015 04:24 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'd probably ask exactly what this feels like and how they know it to be their god. Perhaps it is Satan, or a demon, trying to draw them away from their god with good feelings.

"I KNOW it's god!"

"*Shakes head* Just what a demon possessed person would say."

I tried explaining this to my mother back in December. I haven't outright told my family that I'm an atheist yet, but I was feeling particularly irate that day and said some critical things...my mother was talking about how she "found God" through nature hikes when she was living on Vancouver Island (which is basically Hippie Central). I asked her how she knew it was the god of the bible, how she knew it was YHWH. After all, native tribes occupied this land for much longer than us European-descended folks...how does she know it wasn't some Haida spirit?
Oh but of course it couldn't be that. Makes way more sense for her to connect with some ancient Middle Eastern god than an ancient North American spirit of the land...here in North America...
I know that's not quite how she sees it, but still.
[+] 1 user Likes Ierbamatei's post
29-05-2015, 06:44 PM
(29-05-2015 07:12 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 06:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  *ahem*
You segue.
You ride a Segway.

Correction noted. Smile Thank you Clockwork!

I guess I was too subtle? Consider

Yeah, people are always saying that I'm too subtle. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2015, 10:43 AM
(29-05-2015 06:43 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think that's something not often discussed enough is the effects on a couple when one side has an "awakening". And I don't think I'd be wrong to guess that the atheist in duo is the one left walking on eggshells.

My ex was genuinely concerned about my fate of eternity in hell.

I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't believe in hell.