Explaining to theist friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Explaining to theist friend
It went about as well as I expected it would. I still haven't said a word to the friend I went on that life-changing and terrifying vacation to, just another friend of mine who's been worried with how I've been lately.

She's also Christian, though doesn't handle it quite as severely -- but I still ended up being told whether I ended up in heaven was entirely up to me, and the only reason I don't believe now is I haven't seen what God can do for myself yet. I need to open up my heart and soul to him, even though ripping open one of my internal organs would likely end me and I still have no idea what a soul is -- because otherwise he won't show me what I'm looking for.

Remember-- if the cognitive bias-loving God glasses aren't on, he won't show up to you. (And in my case he didn't show up even when I tried so hard to make it.)

So yeah... it's my fault he's not showing up, she's seen and felt what God can do, etc. etc. I won't go to Hell, but I can't look forward to the heaven she'll have because whoever isn't with Jebus is against him.

I didn't really wanna tell her either because I figured I'd earn myself such remarks, but I couldn't avoid it once she noticed I was upset...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2017, 08:22 PM
RE: Explaining to theist friend
At work.

Hug

Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
18-02-2017, 09:13 PM
People who prefer their fairy tales to you will probably never give them up. Prepare to see them gone. After all, their holy books tell them to beware of people who are not as stupid as they are.

Quote:Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
2 Cor. 6:14

Far too many of them take that shit seriously - when they want to.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Except for avoiding the person and/or the subject altogether, the only useful thing to do is ask questions. you can't tell them anything, but you can allow them to tell you, and get themselves tangled up in unreasoning.
it probably won't do any good, but might - just possibly might - sow a tiny seed of doubt.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
19-02-2017, 02:33 AM
I think it's good you've told her, honesty is best.

I agree with Peter, if discussing the subject just goes round in circles then it's probably best to call a truce on it and agree to leave it alone. If she can't do that, then she has chosen her religion over you and is a shitty friend (or is too heavily indoctrinated).

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post