Explaining your atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: Explaining your atheism
(06-06-2014 09:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Of course, a lot of them have read it, and continue to cherry pick the more famous verses. Without really studying the Bible, that's what most people do. Once they've studied it, they'll be able to bust out some more esoteric verses... but they'll still continue to cherry pick. Most apologists cherry pick out of ignorance (those are the only verses they know), but the well-studied apologists cherry pick to support an elaborate narrative. They know exactly what they want the Bible to say and they know exactly where to look for those passages.

This is why two different Christians who have read the Bible and done lots of study can give you entirely different answers to questions like "how do I get to heaven?" and "do works matter or just grace?" or "does hell even exist?".

If you're stance on the Bible's contents and their meaning is anything other than "it's a bunch of Hebrew mythology", you're cherry picking.

Here's the thing, though. None of my beliefs contradict each other; likewise, I address (or use to) "problems" that may be in scripture and present a reconciliation for them that does not contradict.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2014, 10:03 AM
(06-06-2014 09:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Of course, a lot of them have read it, and continue to cherry pick the more famous verses. Without really studying the Bible, that's what most people do. Once they've studied it, they'll be able to bust out some more esoteric verses... but they'll still continue to cherry pick. Most apologists cherry pick out of ignorance (those are the only verses they know), but the well-studied apologists cherry pick to support an elaborate narrative. They know exactly what they want the Bible to say and they know exactly where to look for those passages.

This is why two different Christians who have read the Bible and done lots of study can give you entirely different answers to questions like "how do I get to heaven?" and "do works matter or just grace?" or "does hell even exist?".

If **you're** YOUR stance on the Bible's contents and their meaning is anything other than "it's a bunch of Hebrew mythology", you're cherry picking.
fixed
Smartass

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-06-2014, 11:20 AM
(06-06-2014 07:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-06-2014 11:59 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Well, I am a marathon runner so there's that. Tongue

yay Smile Me too
Awesome! Thumbsup

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
(06-06-2014 10:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If **you're** YOUR stance on the Bible's contents and their meaning is anything other than "it's a bunch of Hebrew mythology", you're cherry picking.
fixed
Smartass

Oops. I'm usually pretty good about that.