Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Exclamation Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting
Hi all,
I don't know if you get a lot of people who are on the brink of leaving Christianity after doing some research and... honestly, just thinking logically about life and the world. Even recent events such as the shooting and seeing Christians' responses just made me feel ill.
Anyway, there has been one thing that is keeping me held on to my belief in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. And that is, a few years back, I was at a church service and went up to have hands laid on me. When the preacher laid his hands on my head, I literally felt AND heard electrical surges going through my ears. It also felt very warm.
I know, please don't think I'm crazy. I am here to seek some actual answers on this. Because I am on the brink of becoming an agnostic atheist myself. OMG. I said it. For the first time in my life. How about that?
I perceived this to be the power of God. Later on, sometimes that piece of evidence was the only thing that held my faith together.
I just don't know what it could have been. I was fully awake and aware so it was certainly not sleep paralysis or hallucinations. I remember being like, wow this is crazy.
The only thing I can think of is the preacher, and other preachers, carry some sort of current on their hands? I just don't know what else it could've been aside from that.
I also have other Christians telling me that they feel this strong force push them backwards. This has never happened to me and I always wondered about it.
Any insights will be most helpful. I want to nip this thing in the butt! Confused
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 07:35 PM
RE: Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting
Welcome!

The brain is a wonderful thing, and the power of suggestion is indeed very powerful.

Confirmation Bias explains a lot of what you felt and experienced.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
20-12-2012, 07:37 PM
(20-12-2012 07:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome!

The brain is a wonderful thing, and the power of suggestion is indeed very powerful.

Confirmation Bias explains a lot of what you felt and experienced.

Thank you for the welcome. Smile
Yeah I know what you mean. The mind can trick you into seeing, or even feeling, things that you want to believe. But this was so real. So confusing! Sad Thank you so much for the link there. I will check it out. I searched all over Google for something like that. Phew!
20-12-2012, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 07:59 PM by fstratzero.)
(20-12-2012 07:27 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Hi all,
I don't know if you get a lot of people who are on the brink of leaving Christianity after doing some research and... honestly, just thinking logically about life and the world. Even recent events such as the shooting and seeing Christians' responses just made me feel ill.
Anyway, there has been one thing that is keeping me held on to my belief in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. And that is, a few years back, I was at a church service and went up to have hands laid on me. When the preacher laid his hands on my head, I literally felt AND heard electrical surges going through my ears. It also felt very warm.
I know, please don't think I'm crazy. I am here to seek some actual answers on this. Because I am on the brink of becoming an agnostic atheist myself. OMG. I said it. For the first time in my life. How about that?
I perceived this to be the power of God. Later on, sometimes that piece of evidence was the only thing that held my faith together.
I just don't know what it could have been. I was fully awake and aware so it was certainly not sleep paralysis or hallucinations. I remember being like, wow this is crazy.
The only thing I can think of is the preacher, and other preachers, carry some sort of current on their hands? I just don't know what else it could've been aside from that.
I also have other Christians telling me that they feel this strong force push them backwards. This has never happened to me and I always wondered about it.
Any insights will be most helpful. I want to nip this thing in the butt! Confused
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s_sign

Lhermitte's sign, sometimes called the Barber Chair phenomenon, is an electrical sensation that runs down the back and into the limbs. In many patients, it is elicited by bending the head forward. It can also be evoked when a practitioner pounds on the posterior cervical spine while the neck is flexed; this is caused by involvement of the posterior columns.

Well how about that? If you bend your head just right, apply a bit of pressure and bam electrical sensations!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
20-12-2012, 07:58 PM
(20-12-2012 07:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:27 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Hi all,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s_sign

Lhermitte's sign, sometimes called the Barber Chair phenomenon, is an electrical sensation that runs down the back and into the limbs. In many patients, it is elicited by bending the head forward. It can also be evoked when a practitioner pounds on the posterior cervical spine while the neck is flexed; this is caused by involvement of the posterior columns.

Well how about that? If you bend your head just right, maybe while praying, you could give your self an electrical sensation, and attribute that to god. Thumbsup

Oh wow. That is quite interesting. That certainly explains a lot of what a lot of people feel.
It is strange though, with my experience, the feeling was all in my head.
[+] 3 users Like Flowergurl's post
20-12-2012, 08:00 PM
(20-12-2012 07:58 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s_sign

Well how about that? If you bend your head just right, maybe while praying, you could give your self an electrical sensation, and attribute that to god. Thumbsup

Oh wow. That is quite interesting. That certainly explains a lot of what a lot of people feel.
I'll continue to search and see if there is something that is isolated to the head region.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
20-12-2012, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 08:11 PM by fstratzero.)
(20-12-2012 08:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:58 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Oh wow. That is quite interesting. That certainly explains a lot of what a lot of people feel.
I'll continue to search and see if there is something that is isolated to the head region.
This sign is also sometimes seen as part of a "discontinuation syndrome" associated with certain psychotropic medications, such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, particularly Paroxetine and Venlafaxine. Typically, it only occurs after having taken the medication for some duration, and then stopped or withdrawn rapidly. Fluoxetine, given its very long half-life, can be given as a single small dose, and often avoid Lhermitte's sign and other withdrawal symptoms.

I was reading on these forums and it can be isolated to the head! Weird but now I understand some of the things I've felt better too.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain...-head.html

Also for people that are in church I'd imagine just feeling warm with all the people and the music, would make it easy for you not to be frightened when it happen, but imagine it out of that context. You'd probably be frightened.

It would be something to note that it might also be a form of hypnosis.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
20-12-2012, 08:29 PM
(20-12-2012 08:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:58 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Oh wow. That is quite interesting. That certainly explains a lot of what a lot of people feel.
Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
20-12-2012, 08:37 PM
(20-12-2012 08:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 08:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I'll continue to search and see if there is something that is isolated to the head region.
This sign is also sometimes seen as part of a "discontinuation syndrome" associated with certain psychotropic medications, such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, particularly Paroxetine and Venlafaxine. Typically, it only occurs after having taken the medication for some duration, and then stopped or withdrawn rapidly. Fluoxetine, given its very long half-life, can be given as a single small dose, and often avoid Lhermitte's sign and other withdrawal symptoms.

I was reading on these forums and it can be isolated to the head! Weird but now I understand some of the things I've felt better too.

Also for people that are in church I'd imagine just feeling warm with all the people and the music, would make it easy for you not to be frightened when it happen, but imagine it out of that context. You'd probably be frightened.

Wow. Interesting. Thanks for info. I will sleep on it and... yeah... it looks like there is indeed an explanation for what happened.
I also wonder, honestly, if these preachers might even buy things to put on their hands? It sounds cheesy, but I wouldn't put it past them.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
20-12-2012, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 08:47 PM by fstratzero.)
(20-12-2012 08:37 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 08:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  This sign is also sometimes seen as part of a "discontinuation syndrome" associated with certain psychotropic medications, such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, particularly Paroxetine and Venlafaxine. Typically, it only occurs after having taken the medication for some duration, and then stopped or withdrawn rapidly. Fluoxetine, given its very long half-life, can be given as a single small dose, and often avoid Lhermitte's sign and other withdrawal symptoms.

Wow. Interesting. Thanks for info. I will sleep on it and... yeah... it looks like there is indeed an explanation for what happened.
I also wonder, honestly, if these preachers might even buy things to put on their hands? It sounds cheesy, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Well just try putting your hands over your ears and see if you can flex your arm muscles like you are lifting something heavy, that also seems to make a buzzing weird noise.

-Baron d'Holbach-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is the more likely explanation of Jesus? Deltabravo 469 7,007 13-07-2014 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jagare
  Seth's latest blog post (Medical Care vs Praying for Healing) dogerdog 12 326 09-04-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: dogerdog
  Meeting with a pastor CleverUsername 81 1,900 11-02-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/ Jaya Jagannath 16 428 20-10-2013 07:40 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Faith Healing ReasonandScience 13 697 14-05-2013 07:25 AM
Last Post: ReasonandScience
  Faith Healing couple has a second kid die Revenant77x 22 1,120 26-04-2013 05:23 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Meeting with a Mormon Zekaiser 16 585 19-04-2013 12:09 AM
Last Post: earmuffs