Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 08:46 PM
RE: Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting
(20-12-2012 08:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 08:37 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Wow. Interesting. Thanks for info. I will sleep on it and... yeah... it looks like there is indeed an explanation for what happened.
I also wonder, honestly, if these preachers might even buy things to put on their hands? It sounds cheesy, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Well just try putting your hands over your ears and see if you can flex your muscles like you are lifting something heavy, that also seems to make a weird noise.
Thanks and that is true. The actual noise I heard during that one experience was like a stereotypical electrical surge type of sound. And it was very warm, too. It must have just been the way he tilted my head, as the other sources said. Very interesting indeed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
20-12-2012, 08:51 PM
(20-12-2012 08:46 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 08:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Well just try putting your hands over your ears and see if you can flex your muscles like you are lifting something heavy, that also seems to make a weird noise.
Thanks and that is true. The actual noise I heard during that one experience was like a stereotypical electrical surge type of sound. And it was very warm, too. It must have just been the way he tilted my head, as the other sources said. Very interesting indeed.
Vibrations of the muscles causing the hands to shake. "Do you hear the gates of heaven opening and flooding you with the Holy Spirit?" "Uhm, no. Just the vibrations of your hands through your straining arm muscles." These 'healers' probably never did much heavy lifting in their lives. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
20-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah I was able to make a buzzing electrical noise just by flexing my arms hard and having my hands on my ears. I could imagine where that could be misinterpreted or used to make that sound go into the ears of others.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Think of it like this.

If there's a god sending you a message he's made a piss-poor job out of communicating with you. Ask him for something more definitive and see if he responds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
20-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey, fst.

The bent neck thing is interesting, really interesting, but the withdrawal effects of SSRIs are something else entirely and could not possibly be what she experienced (unless it just so happens that she was in SSRI withdrawal, which is unlikely because she would have experienced the identical sensation more often and in many more situations).

Hey, Flowergurl.

I wish you nothing but luck on your journey of self-discovery.

I'm not sure what that sensation was that you experienced. It may very well have been the power of God. But there's no way to tell that. So you're left with a decision. What do you believe it was? It sounds to me like you've already made your decision, but faith, unlike homosexuality, is a matter of choice.

I do have one theory about the source of the electrical surges.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
20-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Might I suggest another approach to the question of "what was that electrical sensation"? Skepticism.

When faced with a question that we don't know the answer to, a perfectly acceptable answer is "I don't know". There are possible explanations, of course, but simply saying "God did it" with no evidence to support that is unreasonable; it's a logical fallacy called an Argument from Ignorance in which you posit an answer for lack of a 'better' answer. Skeptics look for answers that conform to things that we know definitely happen (as that great Derren Brown video does well), or we admit our ignorance.

Yes, others of us have been Christian in the past and have become atheists after research. It would be nice for everyone to seek the truth. You and I both think that Muslims are delusional -- seeing something that isn't there -- but unlike Christianity, we don't need converts. There is no atheist heaven. All the same, it would be nice if everyone sought the truth, so I do hope you find your way to atheism and continue to post your thoughts here (whether or not you become atheist).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
20-12-2012, 11:33 PM
(20-12-2012 09:14 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

The bent neck thing is interesting, really interesting, but the withdrawal effects of SSRIs are something else entirely and could not possibly be what she experienced (unless it just so happens that she was in SSRI withdrawal, which is unlikely because she would have experienced the identical sensation more often and in many more situations).

She didn't disclose that information to me, so it was a possibility.

Pointing out that other people who experienced this sensation isolated in the head means it's possible to have it in the head only. Withdrawal might be the only causative factor to the sensation in the head only, but hey that is certainly interesting.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
21-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey, fst.

No. I mean that she wouldn't have just felt it on the stage when he touched her. She would have felt the exact same sensation in her pew, in the bathroom, on the ride home, on the ride there, at lunch, while turning a corner, reading a book... That's why, even if she was in the grips of SSRI withdrawal, it couldn't possibly be the explanation. The neck thing was neat though.

Matt
21-12-2012, 12:25 AM
(21-12-2012 12:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

No. I mean that she wouldn't have just felt it on the stage when he touched her. She would have felt the exact same sensation in her pew, in the bathroom, on the ride home, on the ride there, at lunch, while turning a corner, reading a book... That's why, even if she was in the grips of SSRI withdrawal, it couldn't possibly be the explanation. The neck thing was neat though.

Matt
Yeah I didn't mean to indicate that withdrawal was cause. Just that it was possible for the effect to reside in the head.

The hands on the ears idea had me thinking it was something different.

-Baron d'Holbach-
21-12-2012, 01:23 AM
(20-12-2012 07:27 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  ...
When the preacher laid his hands on my head, I literally felt AND heard electrical surges going through my ears. It also felt very warm.

Welcome to the forum, Flowergurl.

Also worth thinking about... Correlation vs. Causality.

How many times have preachers touched you and you felt nothing?
How many times have other people touched you and you felt something?

ps I get that Barber's Chair thing.... a little area at the back of my neck.... oooooh.... shivers.
Useful in foreplay Blink