Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 01:27 AM
RE: Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting
We also can't rule out the (distinct) possibility that it was simply static. There are any number of ways static can be built up and then transfered to your head. Especially with you being a woman; who has lengthy hair.

Either way, the error on the part of the believer is to attribute divine explanations to simple, perfectly explainable things. There are a plethora of things it could have been, but for a believer, the immediate answer is God, despite the fact that upon inspection, no supernatural claim has ever yielded a supernatural result. Throughout history, every enquiry into any supposedly divine or magical claim has either yielded a perfectly natural explanation, or no current explanation at all (which, obviously, means we simply don't know - not "God done it"). Having said that, the fact that you're willing to look for reasonable explanations is a very good thing. Keep it up.

(Btw, you pretty cute) Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Who knew that all the proof you need of god is electricity? Guess that makes the power supplies I work with holy shrines. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
21-12-2012, 08:10 AM
(21-12-2012 01:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 07:27 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  ...
When the preacher laid his hands on my head, I literally felt AND heard electrical surges going through my ears. It also felt very warm.

Welcome to the forum, Flowergurl.

Also worth thinking about... Correlation vs. Causality.

How many times have preachers touched you and you felt nothing?
How many times have other people touched you and you felt something?

ps I get that Barber's Chair thing.... a little area at the back of my neck.... oooooh.... shivers.
Useful in foreplay Blink
It was the only time that I felt it, and that was quite a while ago. I have seen people fall back immediately or begin shaking uncontrollably after being touched by a preacher. But, I suppose people can make things look pretty real. Once my sister fell back after our pastor at the time laid hands on her and she could not get up for another hour. But, she has been anemic for quite some time and can get light headed easily, so it could have been that.
Her and I actually had this discussion recently. She said she has felt that power of the Holy Spirit and that is how she knows for sure. I told her of my experience with Bill Prankard (The evangelist/Pastor) that I felt the healing electricity from. And she was like yeah there is no other explanation.
But then I mentioned, "Okay, so say that is the power of God. We get email after email of people in the church or friends and family of people in the church who die. My old church lost a young guy to cancer who was believing God for his life and it was the saddest thing ever. Our pastor prayed and prayed and laid hands on him, but nothing. So. why would we feel this buzzing or warmth on a Sunday morning, and yet all these people are not healed when they really need it?"
My sister agreed that it was weird and contradictory. I was like "What is it then?"
So confusing. Maybe it's just something we will never really know, as others mentioned.
21-12-2012, 08:20 AM
(21-12-2012 01:27 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  We also can't rule out the (distinct) possibility that it was simply static. There are any number of ways static can be built up and then transfered to your head. Especially with you being a woman; who has lengthy hair.

Either way, the error on the part of the believer is to attribute divine explanations to simple, perfectly explainable things. There are a plethora of things it could have been, but for a believer, the immediate answer is God, despite the fact that upon inspection, no supernatural claim has ever yielded a supernatural result. Throughout history, every enquiry into any supposedly divine or magical claim has either yielded a perfectly natural explanation, or no current explanation at all (which, obviously, means we simply don't know - not "God done it"). Having said that, the fact that you're willing to look for reasonable explanations is a very good thing. Keep it up.

Yeah. You're right. It was in the winter and I was wearing this horribly thick sweater that my Mom made me wear to the thing. If someone tried to justify that it was God showing me His presence, there was no real point of the feeling other than the fact that "God" might have been trying to show me His power... but then that can't be true, because a lot of people have died since then that we had been praying for.
Aww and thanks. Smile Haha.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
21-12-2012, 08:39 PM
(21-12-2012 08:20 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 01:27 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  We also can't rule out the (distinct) possibility that it was simply static. There are any number of ways static can be built up and then transfered to your head. Especially with you being a woman; who has lengthy hair.

Yeah. You're right. It was in the winter and I was wearing this horribly thick sweater that my Mom made me wear to the thing. If someone tried to justify that it was God showing me His presence, there was no real point of the feeling other than the fact that "God" might have been trying to show me His power... but then that can't be true, because a lot of people have died since then that we had been praying for.
Well looking at Derren Browns movie, Lhermitte's sign, and other things, you'll see it's all just a trick.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-12-2012, 08:49 PM
(21-12-2012 08:20 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  

It also brings to mind the odd way in which God goes about expressing his power. He always seems to do it in the most mundane, vague, or easily explainable ways.

He's a tricky bastard, that God. Rolleyes

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
21-12-2012, 08:56 PM
(21-12-2012 08:49 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 08:20 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Yeah. You're right. It was in the winter and I was wearing this horribly thick sweater that my Mom made me wear to the thing. If someone tried to justify that it was God showing me His presence, there was no real point of the feeling other than the fact that "God" might have been trying to show me His power... but then that can't be true, because a lot of people have died since then that we had been praying for.
It also brings to mind the odd way in which God goes about expressing his power. He always seems to do it in the most mundane, vague, or easily explainable ways.

He's a tricky bastard, that God. Rolleyes

The truth is god just gives people feelings, but never provides any psychical proof.
It's strange that when people look for god they are really looking in themselves.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
21-12-2012, 11:12 PM
@ Misanthropik and fstratzero
True story. Confused
22-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Here is a link to many stories about how dishonest religious leaders can be. http://www.atheistunderworld.com/page/39/.

This one is just good for laughs. I would speculate that given the nature of blogs these days, the writer is probably making money off conspiracy theorists. http://this-present-crisis.blogspot.com/...ntrol.html

I found this to be quite shocking, but not at all a surprise. "

Q25

09-12-04, 09:04 PM

M*W: I've been thinking about the televangelists who touch people and make them fall down. Up to now, I always thought that they were just enactments. Now, I'm wondering if these evangelists are using some form of electric shock. The use of electricity in medicine is an old cure-all. Could they be doing this with an exposed wire taped to their hand but grounded so they won't feel anything? Just a thought. Any comments?
from http://www.atheists.org ..click atheism/religion/hypnosis,music

...Many faith-healing practitioners of hypnosis induce trance-like receptiveness in their prey by physically stunning them. They "lay on hands." Starting with their hands on the crown of the victim's head, they utter their hypnotic suggestions (i.e. "prayers") while gradually moving their hands down the side of the person's head. Finally, when their hands are on the person's neck and ears, they will suddenly put pressure on the nerve-rich cavity behind the ear and on the carotid sinus farther down the neck. This stuns and disorients the victim, and he or she becomes very imprintable. The verbal suggestions of the healer become implanted within as little as two or three seconds.

Of course, this does not always work. If the person being "healed" has a weak cardiovascular system, or if the "healer" presses on the carotid sinus too long, cardiac arrest may result and god cheats the evangelist out of the poor bloke's money. At least one notorious faith healer of our day has given up the practice because of this embarrassing and expensive side-effect. The reader must realize, this method of inducing hypnosis is extremely dangerous, and no competent practitioner will employ it. Only religionists still flirt with it." It came from this site http://www.sciforums.com/Do-televangelis...40711.html.

Here is one talking about the "Baghdad battery". It would not surprise me one bit if these were batteries. Furthermore the egyptians built similar objects too. This would have been perfect to get people to believe that were unfamiliar with electricity and technology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

Also back in the day and still somewhat now, the standards for evidence were low. Kind of like playing scrabble without a dictionary. Let's say you have an object and we'll call it the ark of the covenant. The object is hollow inside and can house several of these crude batteries. You are a high priest and allow followers in to touch the object and they receive small shocks from it. You know and maybe a few of the people of slightly lower rank know that the shocks are provided by the batteries. Any questions by your followers have to be dealt with by encouraging other followers to cut the one questioning faith out of their lives. You can also acuse the questioner of being a witch and have them executed. The one thing you cannot allow is for someone that is not part of your conspiracy to open the object and see the truth. These days some people are much harder to fool, due to the easy access to information.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
22-12-2012, 11:42 AM
(22-12-2012 11:33 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Here is a link to many stories about how dishonest religious leaders can be. http://www.atheistunderworld.com/page/39/.

This one is just good for laughs. I would speculate that given the nature of blogs these days, the writer is probably making money off conspiracy theorists. http://this-present-crisis.blogspot.com/...ntrol.html

I found this to be quite shocking, but not at all a surprise. "

Q25

09-12-04, 09:04 PM

M*W: I've been thinking about the televangelists who touch people and make them fall down. Up to now, I always thought that they were just enactments. Now, I'm wondering if these evangelists are using some form of electric shock. The use of electricity in medicine is an old cure-all. Could they be doing this with an exposed wire taped to their hand but grounded so they won't feel anything? Just a thought. Any comments?
from http://www.atheists.org ..click atheism/religion/hypnosis,music

...Many faith-healing practitioners of hypnosis induce trance-like receptiveness in their prey by physically stunning them. They "lay on hands." Starting with their hands on the crown of the victim's head, they utter their hypnotic suggestions (i.e. "prayers") while gradually moving their hands down the side of the person's head. Finally, when their hands are on the person's neck and ears, they will suddenly put pressure on the nerve-rich cavity behind the ear and on the carotid sinus farther down the neck. This stuns and disorients the victim, and he or she becomes very imprintable. The verbal suggestions of the healer become implanted within as little as two or three seconds.

Of course, this does not always work. If the person being "healed" has a weak cardiovascular system, or if the "healer" presses on the carotid sinus too long, cardiac arrest may result and god cheats the evangelist out of the poor bloke's money. At least one notorious faith healer of our day has given up the practice because of this embarrassing and expensive side-effect. The reader must realize, this method of inducing hypnosis is extremely dangerous, and no competent practitioner will employ it. Only religionists still flirt with it." It came from this site http://www.sciforums.com/Do-televangelis...40711.html.

Here is one talking about the "Baghdad battery". It would not surprise me one bit if these were batteries. Furthermore the egyptians built similar objects too. This would have been perfect to get people to believe that were unfamiliar with electricity and technology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

Also back in the day and still somewhat now, the standards for evidence were low. Kind of like playing scrabble without a dictionary. Let's say you have an object and we'll call it the ark of the covenant. The object is hollow inside and can house several of these crude batteries. You are a high priest and allow followers in to touch the object and they receive small shocks from it. You know and maybe a few of the people of slightly lower rank know that the shocks are provided by the batteries. Any questions by your followers have to be dealt with by encouraging other followers to cut the one questioning faith out of their lives. You can also acuse the questioner of being a witch and have them executed. The one thing you cannot allow is for someone that is not part of your conspiracy to open the object and see the truth. These days some people are much harder to fool, due to the easy access to information.

Thanks for this, because it really was an electrical, warming feeling and I also heard this buzzing sound as it surged through my head. It was when he put his hands over my ears. So it was either static or that strange hypnosis effect. I remember telling one of my non-believer friends about my true-to-life testimony of feeling God's power and he actually said, "Are you sure there wasn't something on the preacher's hands?" Haha. Now, years later, I believe him!
Also, the thing that finally dawned on me about a month ago was, why give someone feeling in their head and then not actually heal anyone? Confused