Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 01:38 AM
RE: Explanation for electrical sensation during "healing" meeting
To be honest, this whole experience reminds me of hypnotism. I have seen many hypnotic performances for entertainment and personal benefit. I have a friend who is a magician and is apprenticing under hypnotism, and he has explained a lot of the process to me.

I am betting that this experience didn't just happen the minute you walked into the room with these people. I bet there was a lot of 'build up' to the moment. Singing, praying, swaying. Some intense and then quiet- repeat. This is a very common hypnotic routine to groom the mind to be open to suggestion. The only thing that 'feels' or 'uses' your senses is your mind. Cut the nerves to these and you can no longer use them. Or, control the mind and manipulate them.

Minds are used as constant problem solvers. Even peaceful 'thinking' is your mind at work problem solving and concluding. Your senses conclude your state (comfort, pain, etc).

Our mind has evolved to see patterns. Even if patterns are not there, our mind will create them. It's how we 'think outside the box' to come up with solutions.

In the moment you were being prayed on and praying, your mind was seeking a solution. You already wanted this to happen. You already intended it to, you were hoping and trying to make it happen with all you have. When someone touches you, your mind takes this as an interpretation (electricity) and goes with it, because you wanted it. That moment was carefully, carefully groomed for your experience- and that's how churches, especially pentecostal and evangelic natured ones, work.

For more info if you're interested, look into pattern seeking in the brain, sensory interpretations and hypnotism. It used to be so mysterious, but with research and knowledge it makes very much sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
24-12-2012, 01:54 AM
To add:

I want to give an example.

A few years ago there was a local hypnotist who did a group session on stage, for entertainment. At one point in the conversation he got the people on stage to come down to the audience and run around speaking Chinese. My friends on stage come running around 'speaking' it- they had the exact fluctuations and emphasis and sounded, to me (I don't speak or understand Chinese), just like the language I hear from Chinese speaking individuals. Later, when the show was done, my friends asked our Chinese friend, who was in the audience with me, what they said. They were still convinced they had spoken it. One friend thought he was speaking what he remembered in his brain from hearing it from others. My Chinese friend laughed and asked, "Was it Mandarin or Cantonese?" (he speaks both). All they were saying was a bad interpretation with a garbled accent from a white persons perspective, ha ha.

This experience taught me a lot about the nature of suggestion.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
24-12-2012, 04:56 AM
My aunt and uncle once wanted to pray over me in public. I didn't feel anything other than like a fool because it was in public in a parking lot.
11-02-2013, 01:40 PM
(24-12-2012 01:38 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  To be honest, this whole experience reminds me of hypnotism. I have seen many hypnotic performances for entertainment and personal benefit. I have a friend who is a magician and is apprenticing under hypnotism, and he has explained a lot of the process to me.

I am betting that this experience didn't just happen the minute you walked into the room with these people. I bet there was a lot of 'build up' to the moment. Singing, praying, swaying. Some intense and then quiet- repeat. This is a very common hypnotic routine to groom the mind to be open to suggestion. The only thing that 'feels' or 'uses' your senses is your mind. Cut the nerves to these and you can no longer use them. Or, control the mind and manipulate them.

Minds are used as constant problem solvers. Even peaceful 'thinking' is your mind at work problem solving and concluding. Your senses conclude your state (comfort, pain, etc).

Our mind has evolved to see patterns. Even if patterns are not there, our mind will create them. It's how we 'think outside the box' to come up with solutions.

In the moment you were being prayed on and praying, your mind was seeking a solution. You already wanted this to happen. You already intended it to, you were hoping and trying to make it happen with all you have. When someone touches you, your mind takes this as an interpretation (electricity) and goes with it, because you wanted it. That moment was carefully, carefully groomed for your experience- and that's how churches, especially pentecostal and evangelic natured ones, work.

For more info if you're interested, look into pattern seeking in the brain, sensory interpretations and hypnotism. It used to be so mysterious, but with research and knowledge it makes very much sense.

Interesting. Very interesting. Thank you. Makes sense to me. Hypnotism isn't all that hard to do. Every community college has a hypnotist come in every so often. I don't see why preachers wouldn't.
11-02-2013, 02:57 PM
My friend, there are facts, feelings and faith.
Electrical current causes a feeling. Even faith should not be put ahead of facts.
An exciting feeling at some revival service is neither reason to remain a Christian nor to abandon Christianity.
Add up the facts as to what Jesus has done for you--and for everyone in the world--before you make any sudden moves. And never make a decision based on an intense emotional state. Take a deep breath and slow your process down.
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post
11-02-2013, 02:59 PM
(11-02-2013 02:57 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Add up the facts as to what Jesus has done for you--and for everyone in the world--before you make any sudden moves.
What exactly is it that a Jew who allegedly died about 2000 years ago did for me?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-02-2013, 04:12 AM
(11-02-2013 02:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 02:57 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Add up the facts as to what Jesus has done for you--and for everyone in the world--before you make any sudden moves.
What exactly is it that a Jew who allegedly died about 2000 years ago did for me?
Some toff choked on an apple even longer ago than that - between the monkey and the man stages of human evolution according to leading theological geneticists. Because of this, you are condemned to burn in fiery hell *unless* you accept the said Jew's sacrifice of his life into your heart, and give his earthly representatives money, status and position. That's what he done for you.
12-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:What exactly is it that a Jew who allegedly died about 2000 years ago did for me?
Your question is rhetorical but I'll go ahead:
When I think of the SALVATION Army, and the Red CROSS, and HARVARD and YALE, and ABOLITIONISTS and SUFFRAGETTES, and DO UNTO OTHERS, and LIMITED GOVERNMENT, and FAMILY, and MARRIAGE, and words in our lexicon like TOLERANCE and LOVE and PEACE, and the contrasts with the third world and their pagan, mindless religion and endless wheel of suffering and 100 other things, I'm grateful. Here's a book I've never read but you should: http://www.amazon.com/WHAT-JESUS-NEVER-B...0849920795
12-02-2013, 09:32 AM
(12-02-2013 08:07 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:What exactly is it that a Jew who allegedly died about 2000 years ago did for me?
Your question is rhetorical but I'll go ahead:
When I think of the SALVATION Army, and the Red CROSS, and HARVARD and YALE, and ABOLITIONISTS and SUFFRAGETTES, and DO UNTO OTHERS, and LIMITED GOVERNMENT, and FAMILY, and MARRIAGE, and words in our lexicon like TOLERANCE and LOVE and PEACE, and the contrasts with the third world and their pagan, mindless religion and endless wheel of suffering and 100 other things, I'm grateful. Here's a book I've never read but you should: http://www.amazon.com/WHAT-JESUS-NEVER-B...0849920795
Actually, it was not a rhetorical question.

And you can't be serious with your reply. That's the most asinine and arrogant thing I have heard in a long time.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
12-02-2013, 09:44 AM
(12-02-2013 09:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That's the most asinine and arrogant thing I have heard in a long time.
You're such a n00b Tongue