Poll: Should I Send the Note?
Do it! Fuck with the Jesus-Freak!
Nah, take the high road. Don't send it.
[Show Results]

Exploiting Your Non-Belief/Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 12:26 PM by Human Being.)
Exploiting Your Non-Belief/Atheism
I recently had a bad experience selling a high-end guitar in another forum. In short, I sold the guitar for it's value ($2k) and once the buyer received it, he immediately issued a complaint via Paypal that he didn't like the way it looked and sounded and using the Paypal system, requested $400 back on his purchase. He did this despite the fact that over 40 high-res, detailed photos of the guitar were provided to accurately reflect it's current condition (which was excellent, BTW). I offered $200 back, and he immediately took it, in what I consider to have been essentially a shake down.

The buyer was in Alabama, so I think it's highly likely that he's some sort of Jesus-freak, so I'm considering sending him a kind note:

Quote:Dear Bill,

Glad we were able to resolve the issue you had with the guitar. I really want you to be happy with the guitar, so tonight at Church services, I'm going to bring pictures of the guitar and your Still Branch Cattle Company, so we can do some "work" on the guitar to make sure you're as happy as possible with it. The guitar really served us well at services for the past 10 years, so I'm confident that the Lord will step in help.

All the best,
David Glassner
Priest, The Satanic Chapel of Los Angeles
http://www.satanicchapel.org/?p=about

So should I do it? (Of course, I'm not really a Priest in the Church of Satan, but if he's a Jesus-Freak i.e. Christian, it may be enough to completely spoil any enjoyment he gets out of the guitar moving forward.)

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Exploiting Your Non-Belief/Atheism
So basically you're asking our permission to look like an idiot?

I don't vote for idiotic contingencies, especially at the expense of others, regardless of their circumstance.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
You know the old saying, "Two wrong don't make a right"? I think it applies here. So the guy shook you down. He shouldn't have done that. But I am not convinced that any kind of retaliation is going to make this situation any better.

Talk it out, or walk out. Someone's gotta take the high road here, and if there's anything I've learned about Christians it's that I never expect them to do it (often I'm pleasantly surprised) if only for the reason that they've been brainwashed into a system where they don't have to avoid bad behavior as long as they atone for it and stay right with Jesus. Oh, how much better this world would be if Christianity (and Islam) worked a little differently, if they taught that bad actions would cause you to burn in hell while good actions would get you to heaven... But it ain't so, so don't expect this buyer (who, by the way, may not be Christian after all), to take the high road - he's already demonstrated that he won't.

So it's on you.

Choose the right.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I would have issued a UPS call tag (at your expense) and call his bluff. "You no likey, you no keepy".
It was a shake down and this bafoon was simply looking for something..for nothing.
If its worth keeping (for 400-200 less) then its worth keeping PERIOD. He was prepared to keep it, then he should have paid the agreed upon price, or returned it for a refund.
If you negotiated with this guy...then its your loss. Sounds harsh but true. No email to him will remedy anything...it will just make you feel better. I'd leave the wanker alone and lick your wounds on the 200.00 fleecing.
[+] 4 users Like Denicio's post
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Yep, you been had amigo. Just walk away. No
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

You fucking idiot. How do you know the guy isn't an atheist? How do you know it was a shakedown? And you know what? I hope it was a shakedown, because if you're the type to make a statement like,

"The buyer was in Alabama, so I think it's highly likely that he's some sort of Jesus-freak."

Then you are the kind of person who deserves to be shaken down. If shakedowns have to happen, so long as your type is being shakendown, who cares? Of course people like you are going to eat each other.

You are a perfect example of atheist mentality.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
(04-01-2013 12:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  You are a perfect example of atheist mentality.
As much as you are of theism Big Grin

You seem to be cursing the darkness ol' pal, suggest you light the old candle what ?
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
(04-01-2013 12:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  You are a perfect example of atheist mentality.
I advise you to read my post one more time.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 12:53 PM by Human Being.)
(04-01-2013 12:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  You fucking idiot. How do you know the guy isn't an atheist?

Well, I don't. But if he is, then he will think it's hilarious. So it's a win-win.

For the record, I'm really just using this forum to kind of vent my frustration with the situation, and don't have any real intentions of sending the note. Just kind of a fantasy, I thought I would share. Smile

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Human Being's post
04-01-2013, 12:49 PM
You got scammed. I have people pull this on me all the time when I sell guitars on Craigslist. They show up and then say they'll pay $100-$200 less than what they initially offered, at which point I politely point out that if the same guitar was available for $200 less anywhere else they wouldn't be talking to me.

Learn from your mistake and take the high road. Don't pursue any further communication with a scam artist; email vengeance is way overrated. Thumbsup

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post