Do it! Fuck with the Jesus-Freak!
Nah, take the high road. Don't send it.
[Show Results]

Exploiting Your Non-Belief/Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Exploiting Your Non-Belief/Atheism
But the reactions here really show a double-standard, even among atheists. You'll notice that the note itself is extremely kind and courteous. If it was signed from the Church of Christ, no one would even think twice about it. But put "Church of Satan" in the signature, and even atheists have a different reaction. Very interesting.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
(04-01-2013 12:48 PM)Human Being Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 12:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  You fucking idiot. How do you know the guy isn't an atheist?

Well, I don't. But if he is, then he will think it's hilarious. So it's a win-win.

But the reactions here really show a double-standard, even among atheists. You'll notice that the note itself is extremely kind and courteous. If it was signed from the Church of Christ, no one would even think twice about it. But put "Church of Satan" in the signature, and even atheists have a different reaction. Very interesting.

For the record, I'm really just using this forum to kind of vent my frustration with the situation, and don't have any real intentions of sending the note. Just kind of a fantasy, I thought I would share. Smile
[Image: 26252182.jpg]

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
(04-01-2013 12:53 PM)Human Being Wrote:  But the reactions here really show a double-standard, even among atheists. You'll notice that the note itself is extremely kind and courteous. If it was signed from the Church of Christ, no one would even think twice about it. But put "Church of Satan" in the signature, and even atheists have a different reaction. Very interesting.
It's not the text that's the problem, it's that your entire purpose in sending the note is to deliver some kind of scary message to a presumed 'Jesus freak'... it's the kind of thing I might have found funny when I was... eight ?
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
(04-01-2013 12:35 PM)Denicio Wrote:  If its worth keeping (for 400-200 less) then its worth keeping PERIOD. He was prepared to keep it, then he should have paid the agreed upon price, or returned it for a refund.
If you negotiated with this guy...then its your loss. Sounds harsh but true. No email to him will remedy anything...it will just make you feel better. I'd leave the wanker alone and lick your wounds on the 200.00 fleecing.
Totally agree, if he really didn't like it, then $200 wouldn't have made it any better for him. I'm gonna leave him alone, and lick my wounds. Just glad it's over. I've bought and sold so many things on the net, and this is the first time I've ever felt taken advantage of.

I wasn't comfortable refusing outright and having him send the guitar back, because I didn't trust him not to damage it prior to returning, so he really had me by the balls.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Human Being's post
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
(04-01-2013 12:53 PM)Human Being Wrote:  But the reactions here really show a double-standard, even among atheists. You'll notice that the note itself is extremely kind and courteous. If it was signed from the Church of Christ, no one would even think twice about it. But put "Church of Satan" in the signature, and even atheists have a different reaction. Very interesting.
I don't think the reactions are toward the note as much as they are toward the motivation to get back at the person. Yes, you were had, but you also allowed it and went along with it. The time to do something about it was before you handed back $200. I agree with those who said let it go.

In addition, why would you assume the person is a theist just because of where they live?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
(04-01-2013 12:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's not the text that's the problem, it's that your entire purpose in sending the note is to deliver some kind of scary message to a presumed 'Jesus freak'... it's the kind of thing I might have found funny when I was... eight ?
How old were you when you lost your sense of humor?

04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
(04-01-2013 01:03 PM)Impulse Wrote:  In addition, why would you assume the person is a theist just because of where they live?
Not assuming, just looking at statistics and playing the probabilities. Have you been to Alabama? Smile If he wasn't a theist, then it's just a nice note; no harm, no foul.

But again, no intention of sending. I feel better for having vented.

04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Truthfully, pictures (no matter how many you have) can't capture what it's like to hold something in your hands and see it up close.
People often have perfection in their minds from a picture and when the real thing arrives, there is some disappointment.
(Ask men & women who see their date for the first time from a dating site)

The guy could have really thought he was the one being scammed when he dished out $2k for a guitar that he thought was only worth $1600.
Beauty in the eye of the beholder thing.

In the end, you both decided that $1800 was an amount that more clearly reflected it's value.

As for sending the letter. It's a bit petty. Next time arrive on a price that is $200-$400 over what you want and if you have to return money then you'll still have what you wanted out of it in the first place.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
(04-01-2013 12:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  How do you know the guy isn't an atheist?

Oh, I forgot to mention: It's a Bluegrass guitar. Weeping

04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm in Deep South, play old time music and yet here I am, an atheist! You never know...

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post