Explosion in Istanbul kills 10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 03:54 PM
RE: Explosion in Istanbul kills 10
(12-01-2016 11:11 AM)izel Wrote:  Underground, not sure which part of the country you visiting, I'd suggest stay away from tourist attractions until this mess is under control. Be safe and feel free to message me if you need any guidance when here. If anywhere near the Aegean coast let me know as well Smile

Thanks! Smile
I'll be staying in Istanbul, that's where my sister's husband is from. He's lived there for years and my sister has been there many times, so I'll be alright.

I was actually at her place an hour ago and we were talking about it. She says that since it's happened now, the chances of it happening again at the same place are slim Tongue
I know that's silly, but what can we do anyway?

(12-01-2016 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps ironic, but one is in all likelihood safer in the aftermath of an incident like this, given increased security and awareness, and fewer people around...

Yeap, that's what we've been thinking too. I wouldn't like to avoid tourist areas that much, considering that this is my first trip there and I probably won't be back for years.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
As horrible as these events are, we have to remember that the odds of getting killed by suicide murderers is far less than being killed by lightning, or getting killed by stepping into your car today. That's not to minimize this crime, but if we keep perspective, we deny the goal of a terrorist to inspire fear.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
12-01-2016, 11:47 PM
(12-01-2016 05:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  As horrible as these events are, we have to remember that the odds of getting killed by suicide murderers is far less than being killed by lightning, or getting killed by stepping into your car today. That's not to minimize this crime, but if we keep perspective, we deny the goal of a terrorist to inspire fear.

I think, just like avoiding high places when there's lightning around, a healthy distance from dickheads who're blowing themselves up ain't kowtowing to fear, it's simple common sense. IMO the real kowtowing to fear is when you let this single action define your policy for e.g. accepting Syrian refugees fleeing a war zone.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-01-2016, 10:20 AM
An update on the situation in Turkey:

Three Russians detained in Turkey

Quote:Turkey detained three Russians on suspicion of links to ISIS on Wednesday, following a bomb attack that killed 10 foreign tourists in Istanbul, according to a senior courthouse source and local media reports.

The trio were taken into custody near the southwestern resort city of Antalya and were being questioned, the official at the city's courthouse told NBC News on condition of anonymity.

The article says that the bomber was a Syrian-born militant. It says that the Russians were detained in regards to terrorism, but does not state that they were involved in the bombing itself.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
13-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Underground, I can't see that there is any reason to be afraid and Istanbul is such a wonderful city, you can't help but have a good time. There is a big problem with Istanbul and that is that the food is so damned good I gain weight every time I go there. I don't believe there is a bad, or even a mediocre, restaurant anywhere in the city.