Explosions in Brussels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 03:50 PM
RE: Explosions in Brussels
(24-03-2016 03:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Not really.

Read history. Arrows and stirrups too. How many did the Mongols kill? Certainly more than died at Hiroshima.

Note. I am not claiming other weapons of mass destruction are not what they are. Simply adding context.

Of course but a few nukes could do more than the Mongols ever did within a couple of hours. They could also permanently damage the environment. Human life is not the only thing that can be destroyed.

Edit: Stop being so condescending, this is a normal discussion jeez.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2016, 04:29 PM
(24-03-2016 03:50 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 03:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Read history. Arrows and stirrups too. How many did the Mongols kill? Certainly more than died at Hiroshima.

Note. I am not claiming other weapons of mass destruction are not what they are. Simply adding context.

Of course but a few nukes could do more than the Mongols ever did within a couple of hours. They could also permanently damage the environment. Human life is not the only thing that can be destroyed.

Not trying to be condescending. "Read history" is a classic response from me. I am a history nut.

Seriously though, it is all in context. The Mongols did not have nukes. They would not have used them anyway because they would have had no citizens to tax.

Nor did Hannibal when he wiped out 30,000 Romans at Trasimene and two weeks later 60,000 at Cannae.

Nor did the Romans when they wiped Carthage off the map. Or the Ottomans when they destroyed the eastern Roman empire.

No nukes at the Somme either. Where the British suffered 57,000 casualties on the first day alone. I think overall the Germans lost 220,000 at close of the battle.

Thus far the only nation to use nukes is America. Let's hope nobody does again.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-03-2016, 05:21 PM
(24-03-2016 04:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 03:50 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Of course but a few nukes could do more than the Mongols ever did within a couple of hours. They could also permanently damage the environment. Human life is not the only thing that can be destroyed.

Not trying to be condescending. "Read history" is a classic response from me. I am a history nut.

Seriously though, it is all in context. The Mongols did not have nukes. They would not have used them anyway because they would have had no citizens to tax.

Nor did Hannibal when he wiped out 30,000 Romans at Trasimene and two weeks later 60,000 at Cannae.

Nor did the Romans when they wiped Carthage off the map. Or the Ottomans when they destroyed the eastern Roman empire.

No nukes at the Somme either. Where the British suffered 57,000 casualties on the first day alone. I think overall the Germans lost 220,000 at close of the battle.

It's strange to think that in context the WMD's for the Mongols were probably their horses.

24-03-2016, 05:22 PM
(24-03-2016 05:21 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 04:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Not trying to be condescending. "Read history" is a classic response from me. I am a history nut.

It's strange to think that in context the WMD's for the Mongols were probably their horses.

Stirrups.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-03-2016, 05:37 PM
(24-03-2016 05:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 05:21 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  It's strange to think that in context the WMD's for the Mongols were probably their horses.

Stirrups.

Pioneers?

24-03-2016, 05:41 PM
(24-03-2016 05:37 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 05:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Stirrups.

Pioneers?

Yeah. It allowed them to stand up facing backwards and shoot at their pursuers. To turn and pretend to run away was a classic Mongol tactic.

Banjo.
24-03-2016, 05:43 PM
(24-03-2016 05:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 05:37 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Pioneers?

Yeah. It allowed them to stand up facing backwards and shoot at their pursuers. To turn and pretend to run away was a classic Mongol tactic.

Yes I recognised this tactic when studying the Parthians. Very similar way of fighting.
I didn't know they were the first (or one of) to use stirrups though? Hmmm

24-03-2016, 05:47 PM
(24-03-2016 05:43 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 05:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah. It allowed them to stand up facing backwards and shoot at their pursuers. To turn and pretend to run away was a classic Mongol tactic.

Yes I recognised this tactic when studying the Parthians. Very similar way of fighting.
I didn't know they were the first (or one of) to use stirrups though? Hmmm

Certainly the ones who first used them to great advantage.

History of stirrups.

Banjo.
24-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Just wanted to say that the conversation above is fascinating and makes me realize I have a lot to catch up to. Dutch school system only taught WW2 and dutch colonies.

That said, back in the here and now for a moment:
French police foil an advanced stage terror plot. And similar raid in Brussels lead to 6 arrests.

Furthermore, said raids revealed that terrorists intended to bomb Belgiums nuclear power plants, which is relevant to your discussion about WMD's. Think Fukushima, Chernobyl next to Brussels. Now that plot itself was still in an early stage but it does give you something to think about.

"I am Human, I am stronger than any god!"

~Mechina - Andromeda
[+] 1 user Likes LunarDiscord's post
24-03-2016, 07:40 PM
(24-03-2016 05:21 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 04:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Not trying to be condescending. "Read history" is a classic response from me. I am a history nut.

BTW, Mongols and huns were known to use poneys more often than horses because poneys are braver, sturdier and easier to stear with your legs. Beware the poneys they will burn your world to crisps.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.