Explosions in Brussels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Explosions in Brussels
(22-03-2016 06:00 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, obviously they do want to cause fear, but how does that help their cause? That's what I don't understand. Dying in a terrorist attack is still one of the most unlikely causes of death.

Fear and intimidation are tools of control. If you are afraid of something, you are less likely to oppose it.

As an example: Look at the Danish cartoon riots. Few, if any, newspapers would (or will) reprint the cartoons because of fear of the repercussions. Or the Charlie Hebdo attacks in France. Intimidation and fear to control others and exert your will.

In the overall picture, I don't think it will help them, but in the small picture, short term it does seem effective.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-03-2016, 06:44 AM
(22-03-2016 06:00 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Interesting article. However, I still don't see how anyone in their right mind would think that Islam could ever take over the world in this way.

I don't think it's about taking over the world. Sowing fear and achieving specific objectives seems more probable to me - consider Madrid bombing in 2004 which if I recall correctly had something to do with Spain pulling back from Iraq.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Current numbers: 34 dead, 130 injured.

Kalashnikov rifle: check
Suicide vests: check
Soft targets: check

Smells like Radical islamic terrorism.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
22-03-2016, 07:14 AM
I could be wrong but one day I was at books a million and I picked up a book on Isis. It was staring me in the face so I just skimmed through it.. Talking about their agenda and whatnot. It basically said they are pushing for the return or arrival of their messiah. It's like a post/ comment I saw here saying people will do anything to accomplish their religious prophecies. 2 books on them said the same thing.
22-03-2016, 09:55 AM
(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If they're trying to scare me, they've succeeded.However, being in Greece, I shouldn't worry too much. Afaik, there have been 0 Islam-related attacks in Greece. But it still scares me.
Of course they are trying, that is why you have to show that you are not. They want also to put people against each other.

This is mutch closer to me so I have reasons to be afraid but I'm just not. Europe is still one of the safest places on the planet. These kind of attacks are happening far more often in asia and africa.
(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  One, are there indeed more terrorist attacks the last few months, or are they being broadcast more, given the refugee situation?
idk. I'll google that
found something (not from the last few months, but it gives an image)
https://ourworldindata.org/data/war-peace/terrorism/
(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  And two, what do the terrorists get out of this? For every suicide bombing, they even lose one of their own. What is it that people will do while scared that serves their agenda? Their attacks rarely kill many (if they manage to kill anyone at all), so it's definitely not an offense tactic. Are they seriously that deluded to think they can take over the world this way?
They say that they want to make "america and her allies" stop bombing them.
And btw fear has often been used as weapen: in the cold war for example. And hitler used (among others) fear to come to power.

The best thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be wrong.

The worst thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be right.
[+] 1 user Likes thatoneguy's post
22-03-2016, 10:04 AM
(22-03-2016 09:55 AM)thatoneguy Wrote:  This is mutch closer to me so I have reasons to be afraid but I'm just not. Europe is still one of the safest places on the planet. These kind of attacks are happening far more often in asia and africa.

See also: the past.
[Image: MacBlog_terrorist.jpg]

Wasn't called the years of lead for nothing...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-03-2016, 10:04 AM
I have colleagues working in Brussels Airport and I'm glad to say all are safe. This is not just an attack on Brussels but an attack on Europe. ISIS have claimed responsibility....muslim fucks!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
22-03-2016, 10:29 AM
(22-03-2016 10:04 AM)Marozz Wrote:  This is not just an attack on Brussels but an attack on Europe.
true
(22-03-2016 10:04 AM)Marozz Wrote:  ISIS have claimed responsibility
didn't know that, but I guess that could well be true
(22-03-2016 10:04 AM)Marozz Wrote:  ....muslim fucks!
wait... what?! Facepalm Don't jugde the whole group by a small bunch of idiots. Just like theists shouldn't judge atheists by stalin.

The best thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be wrong.

The worst thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be right.
22-03-2016, 10:36 AM
[/quote]
....muslim fucks![/quote]
wait... what?! Facepalm Don't jugde the whole group by a small bunch of idiots. Just like theists shouldn't judge atheists by stalin.
[/quote]

I'm just stating a fact.... ISIS are muslim fucks.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
22-03-2016, 10:38 AM
(22-03-2016 10:36 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I'm just stating a fact.... ISIS are muslim fucks.

sorry, I thought that you said that muslims in general fucks.