Explosions in Brussels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 03:59 AM
Explosions in Brussels
Explosions hit Brussels airport, metro station; at least 13 killed

I wake up to these news right after a nightmare where I was being chased by Arabs who wanted to kill me, while trying to avoid explosions and suicide attacks around the city.

If they're trying to scare me, they've succeeded. However, being in Greece, I shouldn't worry too much. Afaik, there have been 0 Islam-related attacks in Greece. But it still scares me.

Which brings me to two questions:

One, are there indeed more terrorist attacks the last few months, or are they being broadcast more, given the refugee situation?

And two, what do the terrorists get out of this? For every suicide bombing, they even lose one of their own. What is it that people will do while scared that serves their agenda? Their attacks rarely kill many (if they manage to kill anyone at all), so it's definitely not an offense tactic. Are they seriously that deluded to think they can take over the world this way?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2016, 04:41 AM
RE: Explosions in Brussels
(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Explosions hit Brussels airport, metro station; at least 13 killed

I wake up to these news right after a nightmare where I was being chased by Arabs who wanted to kill me, while trying to avoid explosions and suicide attacks around the city.

If they're trying to scare me, they've succeeded. However, being in Greece, I shouldn't worry too much. Afaik, there have been 0 Islam-related attacks in Greece. But it still scares me.

Which brings me to two questions:

One, are there indeed more terrorist attacks the last few months, or are they being broadcast more, given the refugee situation?

And two, what do the terrorists get out of this? For every suicide bombing, they even lose one of their own. What is it that people will do while scared that serves their agenda? Their attacks rarely kill many (if they manage to kill anyone at all), so it's definitely not an offense tactic. Are they seriously that deluded to think they can take over the world this way?

Kalimera.

It's so sad when people feel the need to kill for a religion that is supposed to be about peace and love.

Je suis Charlie,

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
22-03-2016, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2016 05:06 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
Hope you feel better. Nightmares suck!

One: I think there has been an increase in attacks. I don't know if it is linked to the refugee crisis or not. In my non-expert opinion, I think it is linked to ISIS and the Syrian war.

Two: Again, non-expert, but I think they want to cause fear. They see fear as a means to accomplishing their goals. I also think that the religion is a tool, not a core.

The worst part is that the radicals are creating/recruiting radicals to do the actual bombing. Like when a tumor metastasizes and spreads.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-03-2016, 04:58 AM
(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Which brings me to two questions:

According to Global Terrorism Database number of attacks is growing from 2009 (4713 incidents) to 2014 (16 818 incidents) so I think that growing number of attacks is possibility.

But this is not either/or situation - both number of incidents and media coverage could be growing.

(22-03-2016 03:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  And two, what do the terrorists get out of this? For every suicide bombing, they even lose one of their own. What is it that people will do while scared that serves their agenda? Their attacks rarely kill many (if they manage to kill anyone at all), so it's definitely not an offense tactic. Are they seriously that deluded to think they can take over the world this way?

Here is some article on the subject.

In my opinion it's about cost reward ratio - suicide bombing is cheap and potential reward numbered in deaths of people deemed enemy could be worth it in mind of whoever plan attack.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
22-03-2016, 05:12 AM
The West is good at planning war. It got rid of Saddam Hussein. It helped get rid of Colonel Gaddafi. Effectively, it destabilised the Middle East.

It's a great pity that the West is fuckin' useless at planning peace.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
22-03-2016, 06:00 AM
(22-03-2016 04:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Hope you feel better. Nightmares suck!

One: I think there has been an increase in attacks. I don't know if it is linked to the refugee crisis or not. In my non-expert opinion, I think it is linked to ISIS and the Syrian war.

Two: Again, non-expert, but I think they want to cause fear. They see fear as a means to accomplishing their goals. I also think that the religion is a tool, not a core.

The worst part is that the radicals are creating/recruiting radicals to do the actual bombing. Like when a tumor metastasizes and spreads.

I do feel better now, thanks! Luckily, it wasn't one of those nightmares that stick with you all day long.
Well, obviously they do want to cause fear, but how does that help their cause? That's what I don't understand. Dying in a terrorist attack is still one of the most unlikely causes of death.

(22-03-2016 04:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  According to Global Terrorism Database number of attacks is growing from 2009 (4713 incidents) to 2014 (16 818 incidents) so I think that growing number of attacks is possibility.

But this is not either/or situation - both number of incidents and media coverage could be growing.

Thanks, that's some interesting data. I think what is also significant is where the attacks happen; in developed and/or Christian countries as opposed to attacks in developing/underdeveloped or Muslim countries. The latter are obviously less likely to appear on the news in developed countries.

(22-03-2016 04:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Here is some article on the subject.

In my opinion it's about cost reward ratio - suicide bombing is cheap and potential reward numbered in deaths of people deemed enemy could be worth it in mind of whoever plan attack.

Interesting article. However, I still don't see how anyone in their right mind would think that Islam could ever take over the world in this way.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
22-03-2016, 06:03 AM
They're getting desperate because they're getting ground down into the dirt like the worthless vile filth they are.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-03-2016, 06:08 AM
I don't think it's about world domination. Well it might be for the brainwashed footsoldier but it seems more likely (to me) that it's about power locally.

Fighting the great evil of the Western world.
Getting the Western world to kill more local people to gather more power.
It's also likely to be the only way to, as a much smaller power, win a war against a great power. If the population of the Western world gets angry enough at it's own governments it could somewhat "destabilise" us and force us to quit.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
22-03-2016, 06:25 AM
(22-03-2016 06:00 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 04:57 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Hope you feel better. Nightmares suck!

I do feel better now, thanks! Luckily, it wasn't one of those nightmares that stick with you all day long.
Well, obviously they do want to cause fear, but how does that help their cause? That's what I don't understand. Dying in a terrorist attack is still one of the most unlikely causes of death.

(22-03-2016 04:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  According to Global Terrorism Database number of attacks is growing from 2009 (4713 incidents) to 2014 (16 818 incidents) so I think that growing number of attacks is possibility.

Thanks, that's some interesting data. I think what is also significant is where the attacks happen; in developed and/or Christian countries as opposed to attacks in developing/underdeveloped or Muslim countries. The latter are obviously less likely to appear on the news in developed countries.

(22-03-2016 04:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Here is some article on the subject.

Interesting article. However, I still don't see how anyone in their right mind would think that Islam could ever take over the world in this way.

Islam is one of the fastest growing religions here in the UK - even allowing for immigration. At the same time, christardology is on the wane.

22-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Meh I can't see a solution any more that is not of Thrid Reich standards, which I detest the idea of. I'd rather have no solution.

It's Islam that annoys me on this subject, it's the people who repeat this, in effect. "don't say their religion isn't peaceful because you might radicalize them and they might kill you and it'll be your fault".

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.