Exposing SO to skepticism/atheism.. episodes to recommend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 03:03 AM
Exposing SO to skepticism/atheism.. episodes to recommend?
Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My significant other and I have been together for 6 years now and we'll be moving in together in a few days. She's an apatheist/liberal Christian and she's 100% ok with my atheism. Although religion has never been an issue for us, I've secretly maintained the hope that one day, for her own sake, she would fully embrace reason.

Lately I've been noticing some big cracks in the armor. The recent Charlie Hebdo stuff has prompted her to make some pretty bold anti-religious comments.

We'll be cleaning and painting for a few weeks before we move in and I thought I'd play some podcasts in the background while we painted.

TL;DR: Enough with the context, I'll get to the point : are there any good TTA podcast episodes or other atheist episodes in particular I could play in the background? I'm looking for something soft to start off with, no Hitchens just yet. Naturally, I'm thinking about playing an episode or two of TTA podcast. What's a particularly good episode to expose a theist to?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Exposing SO to skepticism/atheism.. episodes to recommend?
(15-01-2015 03:03 AM)Cataclaw Wrote:  Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My significant other and I have been together for 6 years now and we'll be moving in together in a few days. She's an apatheist/liberal Christian and she's 100% ok with my atheism. Although religion has never been an issue for us, I've secretly maintained the hope that one day, for her own sake, she would fully embrace reason.

Lately I've been noticing some big cracks in the armor. The recent Charlie Hebdo stuff has prompted her to make some pretty bold anti-religious comments.

We'll be cleaning and painting for a few weeks before we move in and I thought I'd play some podcasts in the background while we painted.

TL;DR: Enough with the context, I'll get to the point : are there any good TTA podcast episodes or other atheist episodes in particular I could play in the background? I'm looking for something soft to start off with, no Hitchens just yet. Naturally, I'm thinking about playing an episode or two of TTA podcast. What's a particularly good episode to expose a theist to?

Thanks!

I would suggest any one of Seth's speeches on youtube. The podcasts are good but they tend to be on one topic at a time. The talks he has given are easy to follow, well done, and it is nice to put a face to the voice. The Scrabble on the Space Station and the get them while they're young talks were great. I was thinking of watching them with my wife some day. I think he presents it very well.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
15-01-2015, 11:13 AM
I think the holiday ones are the easiest, especially Halloween. There was another about being married to a believer. The ones that reads letters from the audience. There was one recently about what would you do on your ladt day on earth. The one with the Satanist was good.

hard to choose.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-01-2015, 11:16 AM
the ones where people tell their own story on the how and why the escaped religion always hit home without antagonizing. You just listen to someone tell their stoory and their own views.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-01-2015, 11:55 AM
just wondering but how much have you guys discussed your atheism/her apatheism?
Unless she's expressed interest in listening to atheist speakers, I probably would start her with something more along Cosmos. If people could get more excited about science and reason, I don't think I'd care if they were apatheists or not.
15-01-2015, 12:09 PM
(15-01-2015 03:03 AM)Cataclaw Wrote:  Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Hello and welcome.

Probably not. This is the protected / no abuse zone / sanctuary. I'll move the thread to the Podcasts section.

Cheers

15-01-2015, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 03:47 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I'd go the other route and put on some Bible verse or sermon podcasts and laugh at them together; then while the paint's drying, encourage her to acknowledge how ridiculous the whole idea is and see where that leaves you.
15-01-2015, 03:39 PM
(15-01-2015 12:46 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'd got the other route and put on some Bible verse or sermon podcasts and laugh at them together; then while the paint's drying, encourage her to acknowledge how ridiculous the whole idea is and see where that leaves you.
#53 Proof That God Exists with Sye ten Bruggencate. Sye's an idiot and, next to the Bible, the best argument for atheism. Follow that up with some video of the banana man and the crocoduck guy.

Sapere aude
15-01-2015, 03:46 PM
For a really gentle start - enough to get her thinking differently and thus shaking the dogma loose a little - you might want to start off with some movies.

I particularly like "The Invention of Lying" as it is not overtly "atheist" and is just funny.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
16-01-2015, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 01:46 PM by Cataclaw.)
Thanks everyone for the ideas! They are greatly appreciated!

Quote:#53 Proof That God Exists with Sye ten Bruggencate.

Haha, oh boy... I watched the entire debate with Matt and it was quite something. Although it would surely highlight how absurd the theistic position is (especially the presuppositionalist position) I think the heavy philosophy and "what is truth/brain in a vat" discussion is maybe overkill for this stage of her transition. I'll consider it though, thanks for the suggestion!

(15-01-2015 11:55 AM)cinnamint Wrote:  just wondering but how much have you guys discussed your atheism/her apatheism?
Unless she's expressed interest in listening to atheist speakers, I probably would start her with something more along Cosmos. If people could get more excited about science and reason, I don't think I'd care if they were apatheists or not.

She's in a fuzzy zone somewhere between atheism, pantheism, apatheism and deism.. I'm really not quite sure. I feel like she's transitioning. Almost all of my friends are atheists, and by simply spending time with my friends and I she's been exposed to a lot of ideas that have chipped away at her religious armor. Some days she still wears a cross around her neck, other days she joins me in mocking some religious belief or another.

She accepts evolution and yes she did watch the Cosmos series with me. She loved it. I'm looking for something "stronger" while still being very easy to listen to. Naturally, I think Seth's radio voice and his ability to communicate is perfect for this. Thumbsup

Quote:I'd go the other route and put on some Bible verse or sermon podcasts and laugh at them together; then while the paint's drying, encourage her to acknowledge how ridiculous the whole idea is and see where that leaves you.

This could be good too. Thanks!