Exposing SO to skepticism/atheism.. episodes to recommend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Exposing SO to skepticism/atheism.. episodes to recommend?
I recommend the Evid3nc3 channel on youtube, he has a powerful deconversion story to tell:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 09:29 PM
(15-01-2015 11:55 AM)cinnamint Wrote:  Unless she's expressed interest in listening to atheist speakers, I probably would start her with something more along Cosmos.

Ooh, yes. Definitely Cosmos.
06-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I'd say leave your SO alone. They've already compromised their belief system. If you hold this Christian up to a Bible it will say clearly they shouldn't be in a relationship with an unbeliever. The whole "unequally yoked" with unbelievers passage Christians are fond of. Furthermore as a "liberal" they probably are pro-homosexuality and also see nothing wrong with abortion. These are a sprinkle of tenants of a secular society. Both of these are addressed by the Jewish and later gentile God of the Christian Bible. Just living the life they do calls this God a liar. Being such I say live and let live. If you want to introduce logic into this discussion you must understand that atheists look at Christians and wonder what is different about them that would make me want to be a Christian or stay away from Christianity and all organized religions altogether. If you see that the morals of someone who calls themselves a Christian are no different from secular society and it's worldview then what is the point of their religion at all? It doesn't set them apart, it doesn't differentiate them, it gives them no alternative morally than what a liberal and secular society can provide. Actually, and not to insult you, but you are in a relationship with a weakling. They stand on various moral pillars and must bend the beliefs of some to coordinate with others. They refuse to take a staunch stance on anything. The world is made up of such people who in truth find no eternal anchor of truth and are instead fluid in their beliefs and have multiple times in their lives abandoned some value for the convenience of another. There is nothing noble or honorable about this regardless of your worldview.
10-03-2015, 09:37 PM
(06-02-2015 09:23 AM)lowingAboom Wrote:  I'd say leave your SO alone. They've already compromised their belief system. If you hold this Christian up to a Bible it will say clearly they shouldn't be in a relationship with an unbeliever. The whole "unequally yoked" with unbelievers passage Christians are fond of. Furthermore as a "liberal" they probably are pro-homosexuality and also see nothing wrong with abortion. These are a sprinkle of tenants of a secular society. Both of these are addressed by the Jewish and later gentile God of the Christian Bible. Just living the life they do calls this God a liar. Being such I say live and let live. If you want to introduce logic into this discussion you must understand that atheists look at Christians and wonder what is different about them that would make me want to be a Christian or stay away from Christianity and all organized religions altogether. If you see that the morals of someone who calls themselves a Christian are no different from secular society and it's worldview then what is the point of their religion at all? It doesn't set them apart, it doesn't differentiate them, it gives them no alternative morally than what a liberal and secular society can provide. Actually, and not to insult you, but you are in a relationship with a weakling. They stand on various moral pillars and must bend the beliefs of some to coordinate with others. They refuse to take a staunch stance on anything. The world is made up of such people who in truth find no eternal anchor of truth and are instead fluid in their beliefs and have multiple times in their lives abandoned some value for the convenience of another. There is nothing noble or honorable about this regardless of your worldview.

Uhh...
10-03-2015, 11:57 PM
(10-03-2015 09:37 PM)Cataclaw Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 09:23 AM)lowingAboom Wrote:  I'd say leave your SO alone. They've already compromised their belief system. If you hold this Christian up to a Bible it will say clearly they shouldn't be in a relationship with an unbeliever. The whole "unequally yoked" with unbelievers passage Christians are fond of. Furthermore as a "liberal" they probably are pro-homosexuality and also see nothing wrong with abortion. These are a sprinkle of tenants of a secular society. Both of these are addressed by the Jewish and later gentile God of the Christian Bible. Just living the life they do calls this God a liar. Being such I say live and let live. If you want to introduce logic into this discussion you must understand that atheists look at Christians and wonder what is different about them that would make me want to be a Christian or stay away from Christianity and all organized religions altogether. If you see that the morals of someone who calls themselves a Christian are no different from secular society and it's worldview then what is the point of their religion at all? It doesn't set them apart, it doesn't differentiate them, it gives them no alternative morally than what a liberal and secular society can provide. Actually, and not to insult you, but you are in a relationship with a weakling. They stand on various moral pillars and must bend the beliefs of some to coordinate with others. They refuse to take a staunch stance on anything. The world is made up of such people who in truth find no eternal anchor of truth and are instead fluid in their beliefs and have multiple times in their lives abandoned some value for the convenience of another. There is nothing noble or honorable about this regardless of your worldview.

Uhh...

I'd ignore him. Seems to be a drive-by post from some idiot/troll.
11-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Don't do that! It is deceptive. She could play the same game with you. How would you react? How pissed would you be?? If you can't live with her theism, let her go! You each know how the other feels. Do you really want her to live in an environment where you, secretly, think she is an idiot?