Extra, Extra! Neon Cross project seeking funds!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2014 02:10 AM by Free Thought.)
Extra, Extra! Neon Cross project seeking funds!
So, I have just received another reminder of many that here in Australia, we have religious nutters almost on par with the US and UK.

And that reminder comes in the form of a Cross, ladies and gentlemen. A 20 metre, neon 1.2 million dollar cross, which if all goes to photographer Ken Duncan's plans, will be erected via helicopter airlift onto a place named Hat Hill, roughly 250 km from Alice Springs, Northern Territory. Otherwise known as "In the Middle of Fuck-Knows-Wheresville".

In order to pay for the overwhelming cost, Mr. Duncan is using his foundation "Walk A While", which focuses on creative arts with indigenous aboriginal children to raise funds for the project, by running a fundraiser through it named "Help Raise The Cross" after apparently being approached by indigenous elders requesting aid for the project.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ja...in-outback

Personally, I hope the project falls through; the outback, while brown, dusty and full of fuck all has a beauty all its own, and while it would be fairly isolated, I can't help but feel that cross would be nothing more than a fuck tonne of wasted money which could be used to fund a small hospital in the region or schooling and end up just a big, ugly blight on the landscape.

What do you people think about this ambitious ideal?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
20-01-2014, 10:48 AM
RE: Extra, Extra! Neon Cross project seeking funds!
I think it would cost a heck of a lot less than 1.2 million to wreck it. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-01-2014, 11:07 AM
No see they have enough morons who will give them the funds that could be better suited for feeding humans than prop up another gang symbol, objects are more important.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
20-01-2014, 12:41 PM
We have one of those inane things on the side of one of the hogbacks so you can see it all over the damn city at night.

One of these days imma take that shit down...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-01-2014, 12:49 PM
NO, shame down, ridicule it down, protest it down. Don't take the law into your own hands. Even if I agree with the emotions behind wanting to do so.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
20-01-2014, 05:41 PM
(20-01-2014 12:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  NO, shame down, ridicule it down, protest it down. Don't take the law into your own hands. Even if I agree with the emotions behind wanting to do so.

Don't exactly have a grounds for protest; it's not even in my state. Still a colossal waste of one though.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-01-2014, 07:27 PM
(20-01-2014 05:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 12:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  NO, shame down, ridicule it down, protest it down. Don't take the law into your own hands. Even if I agree with the emotions behind wanting to do so.

Don't exactly have a grounds for protest; it's not even in my state. Still a colossal waste of one though.

He was talking to me, I think, FT.

I am pretty sure the one I'm talking about is not on public property.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
20-01-2014, 07:52 PM
(20-01-2014 07:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 05:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Don't exactly have a grounds for protest; it's not even in my state. Still a colossal waste of one though.

He was talking to me, I think, FT.

I am pretty sure the one I'm talking about is not on public property.

Should be replying... damn people making dumb mistakes.

Sorry to hear about your cross though. Though I don't know what a 'hogback' is...