Extreme Hot Sauce

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Extreme Hot Sauce
(10-01-2015 12:27 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 12:05 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I stand corrected. I wouldn't want to start a war (again).

Only once been to Carolina...forget which one. Sad

Not a problem. I figured knowledge is always good. If you described the flavors, I could ask my good friend who could tell you.

Between Nova Scotia and North Carolina, I seem to always live in the south of everywhere. Smile

My signature at work! Wink

Thanks, got a recipe, so I'm good.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
15-01-2015, 12:34 AM
I make my own hot sauce, It is a lot of fun. I am going to be making more pretty soon too. Most of those hot sauces are probably just mildy hot to normal hot sauces that you are paying up the ass for some label.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
16-01-2015, 11:32 PM
(15-01-2015 12:34 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Most of those hot sauces are probably just mildy hot to normal hot sauces that you are paying up the ass for some label.

Not so. The ones being talked about here are weapons grade.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-01-2015, 07:44 PM
(09-01-2015 01:46 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Oh dear, I think this is the beginning of the end. The place where it all started...my being banned for spamming.... Sadcryface2

I LOVE super hot sauces!!! [Image: chili-pepper-emoticon.gif]

My favourites are Blair's Death (750K Scoville Units - SU) and Ultra-Death (800K SU) Sauces, which combine natural ingredients for outstanding flavour and heat like a blowtorch. My absolute favourite of those Blair's is Zakk Wilde's (he of "Ozzy Osbourne" and "Black Label Society" fame) limited edition "Beserker - Shot To Hell" sauce, which is a must have for homemade burgers and comes with a natty keychain. Drooling

[Image: xctmpvQ0iSr.png]

There's also a nice little number made here in the UK called "Satan's Shit" (with the natty tagline "Taste Satan's Last Supper"), which is more of a thick chutney. Great on Brats and such... Evil_monster

When I want to spice up any meal (Mexican, Indian, or other) without adding a foreign flavour, I use "Lethal Ingestion" (234K SU), which is designed as an "additive" (i.e. to be used as an ingredient). Nice pack too:

[Image: 41dpgEqTBGL.jpg]

The hottest "usable" sauce I've tried is "Z" (4 million SU), three drops of which in a XL stockpot of chilli is enough to make it inedible for all but the initiated. To put it into perspective, Police Pepper Spray is 5,000,000 SU....

Of course, I have gone further.....Evil_monster

For the confirmed nutbar, there's the pure extracts. Considered too strong for use as crowd control at 6-15 million SU, these are really only used as an ingredient in making your own hot sauce (which I do occasionally).

"Oh the humanity!!!!!!"

(09-01-2015 03:27 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  I like me some hot sauce. It's got to be hot, but it has to have flavor.

My current regulars are Dave's Hurtin' Habanero and Idiot Boyz.

I have some Dave's Insanity Sauce and Ultimate Insanity, but they're the two-drops-in-a-pot-of-chili grade; too dangerous for normal use.

There are so many out there to try, but one has only so much stomach lining. Weeping

I'm not a big fan of Dave's Insanity sauces, save for their milder variations (like the ones with different fruits). They taste too artificial to me. No

Lots of new ideas here. I agree about some like Dave's Insanity, too chemical-like in their taste. My wife's from Thailand, where almost everything is spicy, and we have eaten very hot food for decades. She grows Thai peppers and many other varieties, such as Bhut Jolokias, and a gardening friend grows them for her husband who swears by hot peppers as relief for his migraines.

Love that Lethal Ingestion bottle/box. Gotta get some!

Someone talked about hot foods causing stomach problems. I might mention that I'm pretty sure that it is a myth that hot peppers cause problems like ulcers etc. Although, the next day, after eating too much, it can be a real pain in the ass.....Smile

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
19-01-2015, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 08:07 PM by yakherder.)
I used to use Mad Dog Inferno sauce in a chilli recipe. A few drops in a fairly large crock pot sized recipe gave it a nice kick. Anything measured in quantities above drops made it inedible.

A roommate of mine at the time grabbed it and put a rather liberal layer on his sandwich once, as if it were mayonnaise or something. I warned him that it was ridiculously hot, but we were both young military guys so of course if I say it's too hot for him to handle, that pretty much means he has no choice but to eat it or lose face. His tongue was swollen for the next day, which I thought was absolutely hysterical.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2015, 08:46 PM
(19-01-2015 08:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I used to use Mad Dog Inferno sauce in a chilli recipe. A few drops in a fairly large crock pot sized recipe gave it a nice kick. Anything measured in quantities above drops made it inedible.

A roommate of mine at the time grabbed it and put a rather liberal layer on his sandwich once, as if it were mayonnaise or something. I warned him that it was ridiculously hot, but we were both young military guys so of course if I say it's too hot for him to handle, that pretty much means he has no choice but to eat it or lose face. His tongue was swollen for the next day, which I thought was absolutely hysterical.

The first time I had Dave's Insanity Sauce, I smeared some on a small sandwich and took a bite. Hobo

It was more important to save mouth, not face.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-01-2015, 01:34 AM
(15-01-2015 12:34 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I make my own hot sauce, It is a lot of fun. I am going to be making more pretty soon too. Most of those hot sauces are probably just mildy hot to normal hot sauces that you are paying up the ass for some label.

If you have the means to grow them that is. Luckily I have enough sauce made to last a couple of years until I can start growing them again! That's the advantage of superhots. They go a long way!

I might make one just from Carolina reapers, vinegar and nothing else.
20-01-2015, 05:26 AM
(19-01-2015 07:44 PM)Olowkow Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 01:46 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Oh dear, I think this is the beginning of the end. The place where it all started...my being banned for spamming.... Sadcryface2

I LOVE super hot sauces!!! [Image: chili-pepper-emoticon.gif]

My favourites are Blair's Death (750K Scoville Units - SU) and Ultra-Death (800K SU) Sauces, which combine natural ingredients for outstanding flavour and heat like a blowtorch. My absolute favourite of those Blair's is Zakk Wilde's (he of "Ozzy Osbourne" and "Black Label Society" fame) limited edition "Beserker - Shot To Hell" sauce, which is a must have for homemade burgers and comes with a natty keychain. Drooling

[Image: xctmpvQ0iSr.png]

There's also a nice little number made here in the UK called "Satan's Shit" (with the natty tagline "Taste Satan's Last Supper"), which is more of a thick chutney. Great on Brats and such... Evil_monster

When I want to spice up any meal (Mexican, Indian, or other) without adding a foreign flavour, I use "Lethal Ingestion" (234K SU), which is designed as an "additive" (i.e. to be used as an ingredient). Nice pack too:

[Image: 41dpgEqTBGL.jpg]

The hottest "usable" sauce I've tried is "Z" (4 million SU), three drops of which in a XL stockpot of chilli is enough to make it inedible for all but the initiated. To put it into perspective, Police Pepper Spray is 5,000,000 SU....

Of course, I have gone further.....Evil_monster

For the confirmed nutbar, there's the pure extracts. Considered too strong for use as crowd control at 6-15 million SU, these are really only used as an ingredient in making your own hot sauce (which I do occasionally).

"Oh the humanity!!!!!!"

(09-01-2015 03:27 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of Dave's Insanity sauces, save for their milder variations (like the ones with different fruits). They taste too artificial to me. No

Lots of new ideas here. I agree about some like Dave's Insanity, too chemical-like in their taste. My wife's from Thailand, where almost everything is spicy, and we have eaten very hot food for decades. She grows Thai peppers and many other varieties, such as Bhut Jolokias, and a gardening friend grows them for her husband who swears by hot peppers as relief for his migraines.

Love that Lethal Ingestion bottle/box. Gotta get some!

Someone talked about hot foods causing stomach problems. I might mention that I'm pretty sure that it is a myth that hot peppers cause problems like ulcers etc. Although, the next day, after eating too much, it can be a real pain in the ass.....Smile

I've found Blairs best for attention to flavour. As for making my own, sure I do that from time to time but have not mastered it to the level Blair has. Plus I've found cooking up super hot chillis sometimes attracts the attention of the local Council.... Big Grin

As for pain, I recall reading that chilli causes NO damage and that the pain is simply the active ingredient binding with your pain/heat receptors, hence its use in riot control. I proved this point not too long ago when I managed to get some 4,000,000 SU "Z" in my eye. My first reaction, understandably, was "blind panic", but when I remembered it was not "real" damage and just simulated, I was able to relax and "savour" the experience. No damage to my eye afterwards, none.

I also recall reading somewhere that birds are not affected, suggesting that the development of the capsaicim was an evolution that allowed preferential distribution of seeds by birds, rather than land animals.

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
20-01-2015, 09:03 AM
(20-01-2015 05:26 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I've found Blairs best for attention to flavour. As for making my own, sure I do that from time to time but have not mastered it to the level Blair has. Plus I've found cooking up super hot chillis sometimes attracts the attention of the local Council.... Big Grin
We were in an Afghan restaurant once, one of those where you cook your own food on a giant hot plate. I sort of overdid it with the hot peppers, and the exhaust fan was not quite up to the job. Smoked everyone out.

Quote:As for pain, I recall reading that chilli causes NO damage and that the pain is simply the active ingredient binding with your pain/heat receptors, hence its use in riot control. I proved this point not too long ago when I managed to get some 4,000,000 SU "Z" in my eye. My first reaction, understandably, was "blind panic", but when I remembered it was not "real" damage and just simulated, I was able to relax and "savour" the experience. No damage to my eye afterwards, none.

That's my understanding also. Very much like eucalyptus or mint/wintergreen oil binds to the same receptors that produce a feeling of coolness. Drinking hot drinks with spicy foods greatly intensifies the effect, and the only relief that I have found for an "overdose" is milk.

Quote:Capsaicin selectively binds to a protein known as TRPV1 that resides on the membranes of pain and heat-sensing neurons.[30][31] TRPV1 is a heat-activated calcium channel that opens between 37 and 45 °C (98.6 and 113 °F, respectively). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to open below 37 °C (normal human body temperature), which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. Prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes presynaptic substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat. Neurons that do not contain TRPV1 are unaffected.

We thought it might be fun to apply some spice to the naughty bits during a vehicular episode of oral sex. It turned out to be a terrible idea, and I had to pull over and do a quick dousing with 7UP, my only resource. Of course, the cops pulled up behind me and asked what we were up to. I did some fast talking, but never tried that one again.No

Quote:I also recall reading somewhere that birds are not affected, suggesting that the development of the capsaicin was an evolution that allowed preferential distribution of seeds by birds, rather than land animals.

That's my understanding too.

Quote:Birds will happily eat the hottest of hot chili peppers, a fact so well known that some varieties are popularly known as "bird peppers."

What's interesting to me is the cultural values that seem to attach to the love of hot peppers. Mexicans, Thais, or Asian Indians seem to have in common that all take a certain pride in their ability to eat the hottest ones, almost a kind of machismo, and their appreciation for those outside their culture who are willing to try the spicy food.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
20-01-2015, 09:39 AM
(20-01-2015 09:03 AM)Olowkow Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 05:26 AM)gofish! Wrote:  I've found Blairs best for attention to flavour. As for making my own, sure I do that from time to time but have not mastered it to the level Blair has. Plus I've found cooking up super hot chillis sometimes attracts the attention of the local Council.... Big Grin
We were in an Afghan restaurant once, one of those where you cook your own food on a giant hot plate. I sort of overdid it with the hot peppers, and the exhaust fan was not quite up to the job. Smoked everyone out.

Quote:As for pain, I recall reading that chilli causes NO damage and that the pain is simply the active ingredient binding with your pain/heat receptors, hence its use in riot control. I proved this point not too long ago when I managed to get some 4,000,000 SU "Z" in my eye. My first reaction, understandably, was "blind panic", but when I remembered it was not "real" damage and just simulated, I was able to relax and "savour" the experience. No damage to my eye afterwards, none.

That's my understanding also. Very much like eucalyptus or mint/wintergreen oil binds to the same receptors that produce a feeling of coolness. Drinking hot drinks with spicy foods greatly intensifies the effect, and the only relief that I have found for an "overdose" is milk.

Quote:Capsaicin selectively binds to a protein known as TRPV1 that resides on the membranes of pain and heat-sensing neurons.[30][31] TRPV1 is a heat-activated calcium channel that opens between 37 and 45 °C (98.6 and 113 °F, respectively). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to open below 37 °C (normal human body temperature), which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. Prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes presynaptic substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat. Neurons that do not contain TRPV1 are unaffected.

We thought it might be fun to apply some spice to the naughty bits during a vehicular episode of oral sex. It turned out to be a terrible idea, and I had to pull over and do a quick dousing with 7UP, my only resource. Of course, the cops pulled up behind me and asked what we were up to. I did some fast talking, but never tried that one again.No

Quote:I also recall reading somewhere that birds are not affected, suggesting that the development of the capsaicin was an evolution that allowed preferential distribution of seeds by birds, rather than land animals.

That's my understanding too.

Quote:Birds will happily eat the hottest of hot chili peppers, a fact so well known that some varieties are popularly known as "bird peppers."

What's interesting to me is the cultural values that seem to attach to the love of hot peppers. Mexicans, Thais, or Asian Indians seem to have in common that all take a certain pride in their ability to eat the hottest ones, almost a kind of machismo, and their appreciation for those outside their culture who are willing to try the spicy food.

I'm not sure about machismo....I do it for the flavour and the free endorphin rush. Smile

Me.