Extremely religious boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Extremely religious boss
Alright, i registered here to get peoples opinions. My work hired a new person about 2 months ago who is my "lead". Jokingly with my other co workers, i told them that watch our new guy be extremely religious (They all know im an Atheist, he does not) and sure as shit, every SINGLE day i hear about stuff he does because "As a Christian"

I was able to deal with some of it, he would ask me stuff and i would brush it off, i dont think he gets the hint yet that i dont want to talk to him about it. Its bad enough that my new boss is a die hard christian, here to spread the word of god (His words) and i fear if i say anything about his constant preaching that its going to fuck me over in the end.

To top it off, he listens to his Christian radio station at work and every day i have to hear about the Gay Agenda, which infuriates me (I am straight, married with kids) BUT i was raised by a gay parent. Why should i have to listen to this bullshit at work?

I work at a larger company (400+) and im at a loss of what to do. I fear if i say something to him im going to go straight to his shit list, mainly due to the fact of him talking about Atheist and how we are ruining everything for them is a big enough reason for me to really not want to say anything as i know his mind set.

Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work. Maybe send an anonymous e-mail the the head HR person? My biggest issue with that is if they do tell him he can no longer listen to it and preach, im sure he will listen to it quietly right by where i work, and me being one of the few that would hear it narrows it down to pretty much just me and 2-3 other guys.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like daterxies's post
23-11-2016, 11:34 PM
RE: Extremely religious boss
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Alright, i registered here to get peoples opinions. My work hired a new person about 2 months ago who is my "lead". Jokingly with my other co workers, i told them that watch our new guy be extremely religious (They all know im an Atheist, he does not) and sure as shit, every SINGLE day i hear about stuff he does because "As a Christian"

I was able to deal with some of it, he would ask me stuff and i would brush it off, i dont think he gets the hint yet that i dont want to talk to him about it. Its bad enough that my new boss is a die hard christian, here to spread the word of god (His words) and i fear if i say anything about his constant preaching that its going to fuck me over in the end.

To top it off, he listens to his Christian radio station at work and every day i have to hear about the Gay Agenda, which infuriates me (I am straight, married with kids) BUT i was raised by a gay parent. Why should i have to listen to this bullshit at work?

I work at a larger company (400+) and im at a loss of what to do. I fear if i say something to him im going to go straight to his shit list, mainly due to the fact of him talking about Atheist and how we are ruining everything for them is a big enough reason for me to really not want to say anything as i know his mind set.

Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work. Maybe send an anonymous e-mail the the head HR person? My biggest issue with that is if they do tell him he can no longer listen to it and preach, im sure he will listen to it quietly right by where i work, and me being one of the few that would hear it narrows it down to pretty much just me and 2-3 other guys.

I'd go to HR and ask that they leave your name out of it and see how it goes.
It seems it's either you say something or continue to put up with his preaching.
23-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Ask for more time off because your religion insists that you should pray 5 times a day.

Overtly read the Teachings of Buddha on your break-times while fondling your rosary.

Put a picture of Ganesh on your desk.

If he makes any complaint to you, just smile innocently.

Seriously, though, you have my sympathy. To make a similar point at my office, I brought in cakes during Ramadan for the non-muslims to devour noisily (nyom nyom) because my muslim colleagues were bemoaning their hunger.

When I left the room, one lady expressed how offended she felt and the Hindu accounts lady replied, "now you know how I feel when you guys eat meat in the office".

Yes, I was being a little shit but my action emboldened the non-conformists to express their opinions.

The point of my story ... is your colleague aggressively religious or just passively expressing what they unthinkingly believe to be their privilege?

If it's the former, go to HR. If it's the latter you need to find a way to burst their bubble as gently as possible... may Allah help you find a way.

Wink

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
23-11-2016, 11:49 PM
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Alright, i registered here to get peoples opinions. My work hired a new person about 2 months ago who is my "lead". Jokingly with my other co workers, i told them that watch our new guy be extremely religious (They all know im an Atheist, he does not) and sure as shit, every SINGLE day i hear about stuff he does because "As a Christian"

Your legal options depend on what jurisdiction you live in. Are you in the US? If so, you might have the makings of a legal case. I forget exactly what it's called, but the keywords are "hostile work environment".

Your administrative options depends on the employee handbook. Dig it out and read through it carefully. Legal options will probably depend on whether you've exhuasted your administrative options.

I agree that it would be hazardous to just plain confront your boss. Unequal relationship and a high probability of some nasty retaliation.

Unless you decide to just ignore it, I suggest you document everything. Keep a log, record surreptitiously if local law and company policy doesn't disallow it, bring it up in conversation with fellow employees so that they'll remember and make good witnesses. It's a good non-committal action -- you don't have to follow through with it -- and I understand it will be extremely useful if you do decide to initiate action.

If you do take action, think three moves ahead. What if the boss does that passive-aggressive thing with the radio? What's your response? If you take it to HR and they discount the whole thing, what's your next move? If they stick it in a mediation process to "come to a compromise" (rather than a disciplinary process or investigation that's not based on some golden median bullshit), what's your response? If it gets back to your boss and he fires you for it, what reaction will you have lined up and ready? Get all your ducks in a row before you take any action.

If nothing else, are you allowed to bring in noise-cancelling headphones to "eliminate distractions and focus on my work"?
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-11-2016, 07:22 AM
I had a boss and some co-workers begin to treat me and another co-worker differently once it was apparent we weren't religious (I identified as atheist but my co-worker was more agnostic). We both tried transferring but our store manager helped make that impossible so we both ended up quitting instead of being miserable with how we were being treated.

I'd recommend you talk to HR and mention that his actions are making the workplace uncomfortable for you. He can have his religion and his Christian radio and his anti-gay agenda, but he should have them outside the workplace.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
24-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Your boss sounds like a real insecure dingbat.
24-11-2016, 08:40 AM
I'd probably just play along for my entertainment, but I sort of see life as a very realistic role playing game and get a kick out of convincingly playing the part when it suits my needs because it reminds me how gullible and easily controlled people are once you figure out how to feed their egos.

I mean, let's face it, religion is just one of many social constructs we go along with for the sake of succeeding in this ridiculous world.

As an alternative, next time he asks how your weekend was, say "In an attempt to summon a demon I crucified a kitten while reading a scripture from the Necronomicon because, as a good atheist, I believe that's what Jesus wouldn't want me to do."

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
24-11-2016, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2016 09:33 AM by Full Circle.)
If the guy was a co-worker I’d go with the yakherder option but because he’s your boss I’d go with the Reltzik approach of documenting everything (your company is big enough that it must have an employee handbook that addresses such things) and then use the DLJ/pablo suggestion of going to HR with the evidence.

There is always the Full Circle option, the ASR Tactical Ninja Road Stars Tire Puncturing Security Caltrop Device Evil_monster
[Image: 51j1UrxxoML._SY300_.jpg]
https://www.amazon.com/ASR-Tactical-Punc...B016E8Q04G

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-11-2016, 09:36 AM
You could try killing him with kindness.

Make yourself indispensable, be sure to go out of your way to be kind, ethical, thoughtful, "christian".

Basically wage a campaign to convince him you're the most "christian" person out there, but in deeds alone.

Walk the walk, but don't talk the talk. Wish everyone a merry christmas, but leave it at that.

But when he asks you about your denomination, reply "oh, I prefer to let my actions speak for themselves and keep my faith private, for the sake of the others in the office; I don't want them to feel uncomfortable; you know, the quote about they will know them by their deeds (John 13:35). Be very firm about this.

Then, when he's really convinced you're a top notch christian, tell him you've been an atheist for X years, and that you've just proven that atheists can be moral too.

You now own the moral high ground and can watch the cognitive dissonance freak him out.

Bonus, you've modeled the behaviour you wish he would follow, you've probably gained a number of allies, and life at the office is great, so he has nothing to say against you.
May cost you a promotion, but he would be hard pressed to have you fired.

Win-win.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
24-11-2016, 12:53 PM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

Gee... difficult scenario to work through. I think approaching HR under the condition of non-disclosure is the best way to go. There's no technical/ethical need for HR to divulge who made the complaint they're following up—in fact they'd most likely be breaching the Privacy Act if they were to.

You can base your complaint in terms that your section leader is repeatedly making unwelcome and pervasive religious comments, or displaying behaviour regarding his religion that creates a hostile or abusive work environment for you.

A boss preaching his/her faith to employees, or trying to convert them can also fall under the umbrella of religious harassment, especially if it interferes with your job performance or peace of mind. It's called proselytising, and it's one of the more complicated aspects of religious harassment. In other words, if management do tell him to stop proselytising, is that in itself religious harassment? Probably not under your circumstances, but you need to more than wary with these types of god-botherers—they've got a whole sack of devious ways and means of undermining people who don't believe in the same fairy tales.

—Good luck, and let's know how you're getting on.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.