Extremely religious boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 07:11 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
RE: Extremely religious boss
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work.

You already have your answer, but you lack the courage to take action. The best approach I believe would be to nicely ask your new boss if he can stop listening to the Christian radio while you guys are at work.

As your supervisor if you have a problem you should take it with him first, especially if its concerning him. You should think of every situation as though it were yourself in the other person's shoes, that is after all why it is called the golden rule.

Treat others as you would treat yourself. Amazing how much of the time we forget this one tenant that could save us from almost all the drama in our lives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2016, 07:19 AM
(24-11-2016 08:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'd probably just play along for my entertainment, but I sort of see life as a very realistic role playing game and get a kick out of convincingly playing the part when it suits my needs because it reminds me how gullible and easily controlled people are once you figure out how to feed their egos

That's a pretty sad way to view the world.
25-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Make a voodoo doll in his likeness, stick it with pins, and keep it on your desk. There's nothing he can do about it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-11-2016, 07:49 AM
(25-11-2016 06:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work.

You already have your answer, but you lack the courage to take action. The best approach I believe would be to nicely ask your new boss if he can stop listening to the Christian radio while you guys are at work.

As your supervisor if you have a problem you should take it with him first, especially if its concerning him. You should think of every situation as though it were yourself in the other person's shoes, that is after all why it is called the golden rule.

Treat others as you would treat yourself. Amazing how much of the time we forget this one tenant that could save us from almost all the drama in our lives.

And yet here we have a very outwardly Christian boss not giving two fucks about putting themselves in other people’s shoes. Sorry mate, but in this case it isn’t a peer causing the problem it is a person who can very decisively retaliate against you.

Also you equate cowardice with thoughtful planning and information gathering, a ridiculously naive idea.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Do you have an employee handbook or company code of ethics? I would start there and see if you can find something that would support your complaints (harassment, etc.). Then I would document his behavior which could be deemed harassment, because HR will likely want some proof.

From there, I would approach HR and be sure you tell them you want this to be confidential. I believe in cases of harassment, you can remain anonymous.

In the meantime, are you allowed to listen to an iPod?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
25-11-2016, 08:20 AM
You could also make this about productivity when you file a complaint.

He is less productive because he's taking time out of his day to constantly talk about issues that upset him, that aren't work related and the radio station he listens to, fuels multiple issues that takes up his time, the companies time and my time.

His lowered productivity effects everyone around him, causing even greater loss to productivity. This means that projects get delayed, conflicts are more frequent and that ultimately he's costing the company money, time and resources.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
25-11-2016, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 08:29 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(25-11-2016 07:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And yet here we have a very outwardly Christian boss not giving two fucks about putting themselves in other people’s shoes. Sorry mate, but in this case it isn’t a peer causing the problem it is a person who can very decisively retaliate against you.

Also you equate cowardice with thoughtful planning and information gathering, a ridiculously naive idea.

We can not expect others to show us the same kindness as we treat them with. Sometimes, believe it or not, it does not come naturally to us to think how our actions might effect others. The Christian boss has thus far for months been led to believe that none of his co-workers/subordinates mind his behavior, how then is he supposed to know that his actions are upsetting someone if that someone does not step forth?

A person only has to worry about retaliation if they approach a situation badly. Going behind someone's back, boss or not, is not going to be well reciprocated. It will likely lead the supervisor to foster distrust for all his subordinates, not just our friend here. As a person who has been in a hostile work environment twice before I can say that drama is the penultimate thing you ever want at a workplace. Second only in my opinion to injury and or death.

That is why I believe a direct approach is the best approach to try at first. How to formulate the conversation though? I believe that politeness and sincerity would best win over forcefulness and contempt.

I never said he was a coward, just that he lacked courage. As the wisest man I've ever known once said. "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways."
25-11-2016, 08:27 AM
(25-11-2016 07:19 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 08:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'd probably just play along for my entertainment, but I sort of see life as a very realistic role playing game and get a kick out of convincingly playing the part when it suits my needs because it reminds me how gullible and easily controlled people are once you figure out how to feed their egos

That's a pretty sad way to view the world.

Is it factually incorrect? Does putting your hands together and saying a prayer serve any less of a practical purpose than wearing a tie or shining your shoes? People are irrational. That means obtaining their cooperation often means appeasing that irrationality. Half the things we do are done for no other reason than to fit in with the standard narrative. I see it as neither a good thing or a bad thing, just a reality to consider in the formulation of an effective strategy for day to day life.

'Murican Canadian
25-11-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't know what state you live in, but certainly does not help now that we have our entire gov hijacked by the religious right.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2016, 09:52 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments. I am in Wisconsin btw. Celestial_Wonder, i totally understand where your coming from, the fact is though he really believes people who dont want to be involved in his religious world are actually EVIL, products of Satan lol. If i say something directly to him, whats going to make me viewed by him differently then anyone else who doesn't want to be bothered by Christianity? Hes been "Born Again" for 15 years now, ive known him for about 2 months... he certainly isnt going to see me as an exception. The bible states that there are no such thing being free from god and becoming "independent". If i reject his crap, im automatically put in the Satan camp, and as such is the reason why i write all of this, ive been where im at for 6+ years and make decent money, its a good company and i dont want to leave because of 1 guy. Id rather all of us be suspects then him know it was me lol.

I never really read our handbook, i know we have one... I know at one point there was a Pastor who worked with us, he tried handing out pamphlets for Halloween and got in trouble for doing this.. so im pretty sure theirs stuff in there about pushing your views on to others. As i said, we are a large company, hence have different ethnicities and religions.

I really wish i could be as open about my Atheism at work as he is about his Christianity and not have to worry about repercussions

Again i appreciate everyone's' comments. There is another Atheist who works by me (My boss isnt his however) and he got into it with him about it, so i also know im not the only person that this bothers by me. After the altercation my boss came up to me telling me how its a sad world we live in when "we" have to deal with non believers like that.

Come to think of it thats whats even more annoying, i have NEVER told him my religious views, yet for some reason im automatically with "him" Whenever he starts talking about it, i brush it all off.. yet he still goes on about it. He would have to be blind to see im not interested in discussing his shit. I think ill get together with the other guy who has a problem with it and see what we want to do. Ive worked with him for 5 years, we are good buddies at work.. i just need to do something because im holding all this in and i know one day im gonna blow up on him, id rather take care of it before i end up hitting that boiling point.
[+] 1 user Likes daterxies's post