Extremely religious boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 10:07 AM
RE: Extremely religious boss
Option 1 - If he wants to talk about religion he should do it on his own time. Not company time, or your time. Tell him so
Option 2 - Walk around and talk gibberish and if he challenges you explain that you're praying to your God/Saviour/Deity. Maybe ask him to join you in doing the same and if he objects point out that you object to him proselytizing about his religion.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2016, 06:13 PM
(25-11-2016 08:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 07:19 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  That's a pretty sad way to view the world.

Is it factually incorrect? Does putting your hands together and saying a prayer serve any less of a practical purpose than wearing a tie or shining your shoes? People are irrational. That means obtaining their cooperation often means appeasing that irrationality. Half the things we do are done for no other reason than to fit in with the standard narrative. I see it as neither a good thing or a bad thing, just a reality to consider in the formulation of an effective strategy for day to day life.

Not sure if it's incorrect. There are many ways to view the world. Tongue
25-11-2016, 08:05 PM
(25-11-2016 06:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 08:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Is it factually incorrect? Does putting your hands together and saying a prayer serve any less of a practical purpose than wearing a tie or shining your shoes? People are irrational. That means obtaining their cooperation often means appeasing that irrationality. Half the things we do are done for no other reason than to fit in with the standard narrative. I see it as neither a good thing or a bad thing, just a reality to consider in the formulation of an effective strategy for day to day life.

Not sure if it's incorrect. There are many ways to view the world. Tongue

My view is through the lenses of a cynical, dark humoured, pragmatic, borderline psychopathic utilitarian Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
25-11-2016, 09:42 PM
The next time he raised the topic, I would tell him I don't think it's appropriate for the workplace. If he persisted after that, I would refer the issue to HR. Any retaliation at that point will almost certainly violate company policy, and probably law as well.
25-11-2016, 09:43 PM
(25-11-2016 08:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 06:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Not sure if it's incorrect. There are many ways to view the world. Tongue

My view is through the lenses of a cynical, dark humoured, pragmatic, borderline psychopathic utilitarian Big Grin

I'm attempting to go the Zen route.
25-11-2016, 09:50 PM
(25-11-2016 06:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  [...] Treat others as you would treat yourself. Amazing how much of the time we forget this one tenant that could save us from almost all the drama in our lives.

Uh... you mean "tenet".

I don't really think the so-called golden rule applies in this instance. In fact it's been made clear by the OP that his Christian boss is definitely not adhering to it by preaching/proselytising to his staff. What would he do if the situation were reversed—you were constantly attempting to deconvert him to atheism? Of course he'd object (quite rightly).

But this behaviour on his part is typical of many Christians; do as I say, not as I do. Or more crudely, "I don't give a fuck what your beliefs are, mine are the only correct ones, and you must follow them too—otherwise you're a worthless piece of shit".

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
25-11-2016, 10:03 PM
(25-11-2016 09:50 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... you mean "tenet".

I don't really think the so-called golden rule applies in this instance. In fact it's been made clear by the OP that his Christian boss is definitely not adhering to it by preaching/proselytising to his staff. What would he do if the situation were reversed—you were constantly attempting to deconvert him to atheism? Of course he'd object (quite rightly).

Yes I presume he would object, but the situation with our friend here is that he has not objected and its been two months since the supervisor came about. I said it before, that we commonly forget to think about how our actions may affect others. The supervisor obviously a religious man, has only been doing what he has because there has been no objection, at least as far as we know. WE can't presume to know how he will react, but we can presume to know that a man who stays silent in the face of oppression, will only continue to suffer until he himself takes actions against it.

Quote:But this behaviour on his part is typical of many Christians; do as I say, not as I do. Or more crudely, "I don't give a fuck what your beliefs are, mine are the only correct ones, and you must follow them too—otherwise you're a worthless piece of shit".

That behavior is typical to many people in general not just Christians, especially the latter.
27-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Wow this guy lives in lala land. He's going around making the mistake of thinking everyone thinks like him. WTF? At this point I think there should be a real concern for this individual. BRAIN WASHED to shreds comes to mind. I feel bad for him.

Okay now that I've got that out of the way... this may be the only chance you'll ever get to do this! Get a couple of guys together to do this with you. Have you and another dude wait down in a telco closet or some creepy area, have the other guy walk brain washed into the creepy area for unknown reason and you two need to be wearing goat masks (at least masks... full suits even better) then jump out at him suddenly making sure your friend runs screaming as well for full affect.

I bet he shits himself and never talks about his religion in public again. Evil_monster
28-11-2016, 01:18 PM
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work. Maybe send an anonymous e-mail the the head HR person? My biggest issue with that is if they do tell him he can no longer listen to it and preach, im sure he will listen to it quietly right by where i work, and me being one of the few that would hear it narrows it down to pretty much just me and 2-3 other guys.
If your number one concern is the noise from the radio just tell him that, while you think the music is fine, there's a time and a place for everything and you find it distracting, it upsets your concentration. Keep religion out of it.

On the other hand if you want to beard the lion in his den ...

The number one factor that you have to take into consideration is that atheists are one of the most hated minorities in America. When it comes to religion we are just a notch below the position of the Jews in Nazi Germany. They won't come for us (yet) but they'll damn sure kick us out.

The number two factor is how secure you are financially? How long can you live without a job? How quickly can you find other employment? If you go to HR do not kid yourself that they are going to be fair about this. They are going to see you as the problem. You could wind up on the street.

Consult a lawyer before going to HR. What are your rights? Does your company have government contracts?

Bottom line: learn to live with it.

Sapere aude
01-12-2016, 12:13 PM
If you work at a private (non-governmental) entity, you are probably employed "at-will". So, as others have stated, tread lightly unless you can afford to be suddenly out of work.

I think that a confidential consultation with HR is the way to go. I also would go lightly in that regard as you probably also don't know the views of the HR person you talk with. I'd start with the radio being distracting, not the content of the radio show. If HR is sympathetic, ask if they can simply walk by the work area under the guise of another purpose and they can see/hear the situation. They can simply follow up with him, noting that it is distracting.

As for the constant preaching in everyday speech, that is a bit tougher and to get him to stop will probably take a direct confrontation from a neutral (HR). If you want to go to that level, be prepared for the blowback. I don't recommend you addressing the issue directly with him based on your limited time working together.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley