Extremely religious boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
RE: Extremely religious boss
(25-11-2016 06:56 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 11:22 PM)daterxies Wrote:  Do i just live with it? Do i go to HR which i know they will definitely get involved but again i fear MY consequence if he finds out it was me. What would you do in my situation? Im not a very vocal Atheist and i honestly dont give a shit what your views are, i have mine, he has his but i dont want to be subjected to his views daily at work.

You already have your answer, but you lack the courage to take action. The best approach I believe would be to nicely ask your new boss if he can stop listening to the Christian radio while you guys are at work.

As your supervisor if you have a problem you should take it with him first, especially if its concerning him. You should think of every situation as though it were yourself in the other person's shoes, that is after all why it is called the golden rule.

Treat others as you would treat yourself. Amazing how much of the time we forget this one tenant that could save us from almost all the drama in our lives.

.... I would love to see it i the roles were reversed, and you were watching the atheist experience all the time on youtube, I bet he would quickly forget the golden rule and be straight off to the HR department.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Wisconsin is definitely an at-will state. Federal law prohibits you being fired for complaining about being pressured religiously, but state law permits you to be fired for wearing a tie that your boss suddenly decides he doesn't like a day after you complained, and it's damn hard to prove in court that this is anything but coincidence.

A bit of internet research (read: I'm not an expert) tells me that Wisconsin is also a one-party consent state. That means you are free to record any and every conversation that you are a party to, surreptitiously, without getting permission from or informing the other participants. But double-check your employee manual. Just because you're allowed to do it in your state, doesn't mean you're allowed to do it in your office. Also, while you aren't committing a crime when you record, surreptitious recordings are inadmissible in civil cases. They would, however, be just fine for proving to upper management or HR that your boss is breaking internal rules.

Since you say someone got in trouble for handing out pamphlets, I'd guess that HR would be on your side in this sort of complaint. Go to them, ask to be anonymous, say that you feel that the workplace is getting religiously hostile because you're having a particular brand of Christianity pushed on you that you don't agree with -- and that you don't think your boss should be your pastor anyway -- and ask that they do something about it. Don't make a big deal about you being an atheist... just say that you don't agree with the guy's doctrine (without going into specifics about what part of the doctrine you don't agree with and why you don't agree with it) and that constantly having that doctrine pushed on you in the workplace is inappropriate. Because it is, regardless of whether you're an atheist, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a different type of Christian, or exactly the same denomination of Christian but with different opinions. Your boss is not your preacher, and he needs to learn the distinction.

So long as he doesn't know who to retaliate against, there's no reason not to give your boss a bit of compassionate leeway. Assume he doesn't know proper boundaries, rather than that he's deliberately violating them, and have HR see if a bit of education will fix the matter before bringing the hammer down on him.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
05-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I've worked for a highly religious person for the last 6 years, who is also a Trumper, and honestly it doesn't really get easier. I'm leaving and the religious atmosphere and Trump support are two of the reasons, besides the inept managers, lying, and backstabbing.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
06-12-2016, 06:04 AM
(05-12-2016 11:20 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  I've worked for a highly religious person for the last 6 years, who is also a Trumper, and honestly it doesn't really get easier. I'm leaving and the religious atmosphere and Trump support are two of the reasons, besides the inept managers, lying, and backstabbing.

The worst kind of backstabbing is for it to happen by someone you didn't expect it to happen from.

Et Tu Brute? Et Tu? You have my condolences.
06-12-2016, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 08:30 AM by Full Circle.)
(25-11-2016 08:26 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 07:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And yet here we have a very outwardly Christian boss not giving two fucks about putting themselves in other people’s shoes. Sorry mate, but in this case it isn’t a peer causing the problem it is a person who can very decisively retaliate against you.

Also you equate cowardice with thoughtful planning and information gathering, a ridiculously naive idea.

We can not expect others to show us the same kindness as we treat them with. Sometimes, believe it or not, it does not come naturally to us to think how our actions might effect others. The Christian boss has thus far for months been led to believe that none of his co-workers/subordinates mind his behavior, how then is he supposed to know that his actions are upsetting someone if that someone does not step forth?

Seriously? Maybe to you it doesn’t but to anyone who isn’t a sociopath it does come naturally.
It boggles my mind that you really believe (unless you're simply trolling) that a boss assumes his shit doesn’t stink and comes out wrapped in cellophane because none of his underlings has confronted him and said anything. You are either very naive or trolling.

(25-11-2016 08:26 AM)‘Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  A person only has to worry about retaliation if they approach a situation badly. Going behind someone's back, boss or not, is not going to be well reciprocated. It will likely lead the supervisor to foster distrust for all his subordinates, not just our friend here. As a person who has been in a hostile work environment twice before I can say that drama is the penultimate thing you ever want at a workplace. Second only in my opinion to injury and or death.

You probably meant to use the word received and not reciprocated, says the guy who lauds his grasp of the English language. Rolleyes
You are guilty of Literary offense #13 as per Mark Twain id est:
Use the right word, not its second cousin.

If the guy didn’t want drama he shouldn’t be foisting his brand of crazy on everyone else in the room.

(25-11-2016 08:26 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  That is why I believe a direct approach is the best approach to try at first. How to formulate the conversation though? I believe that politeness and sincerity would best win over forcefulness and contempt.

The boss has placed his subordinates in a position that they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If the guy is callused enough to not be aware “how our actions might effect others” (as per your own words) then he has already shown his insensitivity. Based on his actions those around him have solid evidence that he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about them or how his actions affect them. It is appropriate for the underlings NOT to have faith that the boss will do what is proper and correct.

(Notice the use of the word faith in this sentence, it is used correctly within the context of the topic, firm belief in something for which there is no proof.)

(25-11-2016 08:26 AM)‘Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I never said he was a coward, just that he lacked courage.

You really don’t have a working grasp of the English language do you?

cow·ard·ice
ˈkou(ə)rdəs/
noun
lack of bravery.

brav·er·y
ˈbrāv(ə)rē/
noun
courageous behavior or character.

(25-11-2016 08:26 AM)‘Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  As the wisest man I’ve ever known once said. "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways."

Non sequitur with previous statement. Nice try though. No

Hope I was able to help you learn something useful that you can apply to your future posts. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce