Extremophiles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2014, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 12:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
Extremophiles
Just watched the Cosmos episode on evolution and I got a new hero. No not the attractive smart black man. The tardigrade. The fuck is this thing. When shit hits the fan it just says fuck it, I'll die for a bit until things get better?!? The fuck is this thing.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-04-2014, 12:57 PM
RE: Extremophiles
Tardigrade Consider Is that when your teacher takes fucking forever to give you a score? Angel

Speaking of extremophiles read what the the 300 or so species that live around thermal vents thrive in, and what the hell are "microbial flocs" anyway?

Living at Extremes

If there is a harsher place to live than a hydrothermal vent, it hasn't been found yet. Pitch darkness, poison gas, heavy metals, extreme acidity, enormous pressure, water at turns frigid and searing -- this seafloor environment seems more like something from deep space than from our own deep sea.

Yet amazing communities of life exist at hydrothermal vents and the so-called "black smoker" chimneys that, given the right conditions, rise above them like erupting stalagmites. Blind shrimp (evolved from shallow water species with eyes?) , giant white crabs, and a variety of tubeworms are just some of the more than 300 species of vent life that biologists have identified since scientists first blundered upon this otherworldly community two decades ago. More than 95 percent of these species are new to science.

http://www.indiana.edu/~g105lab/images/g...nities.htm

(cool vids here too)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-04-2014, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 01:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2014 12:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Tardigrade Consider Is that when your teacher takes fucking forever to give you a score? Angel

Speaking of extremophiles read what the the 300 or so species that live around thermal vents thrive in, and what the hell are "microbial flocs" anyway?

Living at Extremes

If there is a harsher place to live than a hydrothermal vent, it hasn't been found yet. Pitch darkness, poison gas, heavy metals, extreme acidity, enormous pressure, water at turns frigid and searing -- this seafloor environment seems more like something from deep space than from our own deep sea.

Yet amazing communities of life exist at hydrothermal vents and the so-called "black smoker" chimneys that, given the right conditions, rise above them like erupting stalagmites. Blind shrimp (evolved from shallow water species with eyes?) , giant white crabs, and a variety of tubeworms are just some of the more than 300 species of vent life that biologists have identified since scientists first blundered upon this otherworldly community two decades ago. More than 95 percent of these species are new to science.

(cool vids here too)

Way to make feel like an even bigger pussy. What I got going for me is you're an even bigger pussy than me. Tongue

#sigh
13-04-2014, 03:08 PM
(13-04-2014 01:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 12:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Tardigrade Consider Is that when your teacher takes fucking forever to give you a score? Angel

Living at Extremes

(cool vids here too)

Way to make feel like an even bigger pussy. What I got going for me is you're an even bigger pussy than me. Tongue

Don't get your panties all in wad Girly. Ohmy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-04-2014, 05:14 PM
The more I learn about the nature of things around us, the more I think that there is much more than we will ever know. Like many universes, and something bigger beyond that...

When you think that there is all kinds of life in a handful of dirt, and that for that life a mile's radius is as big as the universe is for us, who is to say that we are not some tiny spec of living things in the belly of something much bigger? What if the universe is just like a handful of dirt in the scope of what may be out there?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2014, 05:28 PM
(13-04-2014 03:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 01:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Way to make feel like an even bigger pussy. What I got going for me is you're an even bigger pussy than me. Tongue

Don't get your panties all in wad Girly. Ohmy

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

#sigh
13-04-2014, 06:14 PM
(13-04-2014 05:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 03:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Don't get your panties all in wad Girly. Ohmy

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

He sounds exactly like I might have imagined him to sound .. only better.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-04-2014, 06:26 PM
(13-04-2014 05:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  The more I learn about the nature of things around us, the more I think that there is much more than we will ever know. Like many universes, and something bigger beyond that...

When you think that there is all kinds of life in a handful of dirt, and that for that life a mile's radius is as big as the universe is for us, who is to say that we are not some tiny spec of living things in the belly of something much bigger? What if the universe is just like a handful of dirt in the scope of what may be out there?

Horton Hears a Who.

I want to make water bear stuffies, they are so freakin' adorable.
13-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I was pondering that maybe life in the universe mostly abio/exists/evolves in what we perceive as extremes,.

And that we are the the extremeophiles, able to co-opt such a dangerous gas as oxygen.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
14-04-2014, 09:56 AM
(13-04-2014 10:15 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I was pondering that maybe life in the universe mostly abio/exists/evolves in what we perceive as extremes,.

And that we are the the extremeophiles, able to co-opt such a dangerous gas as oxygen.

I can see that, good point. Perhaps the lifeforms in the deep ocean vents blog how biologics can live on the SURFACE of the planet without dying of radiation.