F**cked up things loving Christians have said to you.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 02:50 PM
RE: F**cked up things loving Christians have said to you.
"I'll pray for you."

aka

“You’re such a wretched specimen of humanity that you need divine intervention in order to avoid your just punishment of eternal torment by fire.” - JT Eberhard

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2014, 03:34 PM
(19-09-2014 10:31 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Some Christians use their faith as a license to say things they might never say otherwise. That has nothing to do with saving souls and everything to do with being a petty asshole.

It's rough all over.
20-09-2014, 03:35 PM
(20-09-2014 02:50 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  “You’re such a wretched specimen of humanity that you need divine intervention in order to avoid your just punishment of eternal torment by fire.” - JT Eberhard

If that was the case, then why the hell wouldn't you appreciate the prayer?
20-09-2014, 03:37 PM
(19-09-2014 11:02 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  "If you really feel that way you should leave the church".

Pastor Jacqueline Thomshaw, of Word of Life Fellowship, revealing in those few words to me, a troubled teenager struggling to reconcile church doctrine with what my brain kept telling me and pouring it all out onto a four page handwritten letter to her, that the unconditional love of church fellowship was actually conditional, that she was abandoning to hell a soul she had failed to convert, and that her church giving up on someone was in her view sanctioned by god. It was the greatest disillusionment I'd ever felt my entire life, and I'm sixty years old. Glad I got that out of the way relatively early.

Do you practice unconditional love for everyone now? Smile

I try to, it's really great once you get it going.
20-09-2014, 03:58 PM
All these posts are why my blood boils when I hear some asshole say "God is love."

No he sure the fuck ain't.
20-09-2014, 04:00 PM
(20-09-2014 03:35 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 02:50 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  “You’re such a wretched specimen of humanity that you need divine intervention in order to avoid your just punishment of eternal torment by fire.” - JT Eberhard

If that was the case, then why the hell wouldn't you appreciate the prayer?

Because it's not sincere. The tone of voice makes it clear that it's really just a snide, condescending, self righteous, passive-aggressive way Christians have of saying "fuck you."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
20-09-2014, 04:02 PM
(20-09-2014 04:00 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 03:35 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  If that was the case, then why the hell wouldn't you appreciate the prayer?

Because it's not sincere. The tone of voice makes it clear that it's really just a snide, condescending, self righteous, passive-aggressive way Christians have of saying "fuck you."

Am I missing something?

There has never been a Christian in my life like that.

Where do you people live? (I agree the comments people have made are terrible, do you all live in like West Virginia or summot where people are evil?)
20-09-2014, 04:10 PM
(20-09-2014 04:00 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 03:35 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  If that was the case, then why the hell wouldn't you appreciate the prayer?

Ya know. This is why I (ironically) am incredulous over the idea of Atheist and Christian online communities.

Ya go into them with this idea of "the enemy" and before ya know it, with all of this affirmation and re-affirmation of your idea, all of x group is "the enemy". So, while communities are great, sometimes they need to let reality in, a little bit, or become reality's victim.
[+] 1 user Likes Li_Holodomer's post
20-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Someone once told me that I should kill my children (I don't actually have any, but they didn't know that). Their reasoning was that if I killed them while they were young enough, they'd automatically go to heaven, but if they were raised to adulthood by an atheist it would be unlikely that they'd become believers and "get saved." And, since I'm already going to hell anyway, it's not like me killing them would get me into any worse trouble.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 1 user Likes KnowtheSilence's post
20-09-2014, 04:36 PM
(19-09-2014 10:20 AM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  Another time I had a debate with a Christian and it was very respectful all up till the end.

When left out the door he says the following

"Thanks for entertaining me."

My expressions changed from Smile to Censored

I obviously am not in a good place to judge their actual meaning since I wasn't there and don't know what sort of tone they used when they said this, but it is possible that this wasn't meant as an insult. "Thanks for entertaining me" is something that people (especially older people) use to say something to the effect of "thanks for putting up with me," not meant to imply that you were somehow amusing to them .

I'm just thinking out loud.