F**cked up things loving Christians have said to you.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: F**cked up things loving Christians have said to you.
(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  ---
Ya go into them with this idea of "the enemy" and before ya know it, with all of this affirmation and re-affirmation of your idea, all of x group is "the enemy".
---
Why would anyone do that?
Do you have some sort of preconceived notions about all places you go?

(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  So, while communities are great, sometimes they need to let reality in, a little bit, or become reality's victim.

Ironically, how ironic. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-09-2014, 08:37 PM
(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 04:00 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Because it's not sincere. The tone of voice makes it clear that it's really just a snide, condescending, self righteous, passive-aggressive way Christians have of saying "fuck you."

Ya know. This is why I (ironically) am incredulous over the idea of Atheist and Christian online communities.

Ya go into them with this idea of "the enemy" and before ya know it, with all of this affirmation and re-affirmation of your idea, all of x group is "the enemy". So, while communities are great, sometimes they need to let reality in, a little bit, or become reality's victim.

That's a generalisation but I know what you mean... in-group / out-group, confirmation bias etc.

It happens here a little too but not with the vitriol I've seen on other sites.

It seems natural that people who have escaped (or are hoping to escape) from an oppressive environment would want to defend their newly found 'safe' community.

Others, who are looking to welcome fence-sitters or the genuinely curious outsiders, will view the community as inclusive.

This place, according to its founder, is the latter... and the former.

I don't envy the Mods here who try to maintain that balance.

Wait... what am I saying?

Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-09-2014, 08:42 PM
(20-09-2014 08:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Ya know. This is why I (ironically) am incredulous over the idea of Atheist and Christian online communities.

Ya go into them with this idea of "the enemy" and before ya know it, with all of this affirmation and re-affirmation of your idea, all of x group is "the enemy". So, while communities are great, sometimes they need to let reality in, a little bit, or become reality's victim.

That's a generalisation but I know what you mean... in-group / out-group, confirmation bias etc.

It happens here a little too but not with the vitriol I've seen on other sites.

It seems natural that people who have escaped (or are hoping to escape) from an oppressive environment would want to defend their newly found 'safe' community.

Others, who are looking to welcome fence-sitters or the genuinely curious outsiders, will view the community as inclusive.

This place, according to its founder, is the latter... and the former.

I don't envy the Mods here who try to maintain that balance.

Wait... what am I saying?

Sadcryface

Lol, yeah, I know what you mean.

But I've been to this one site, Atheism+ (just for kicks) and they spewed me out like a virulent gastrointestinal plague out of their anus.

Here's fine and pretty fun, but this whole "shit jebus worsheepers do" attitude is not good.
20-09-2014, 08:43 PM
(20-09-2014 05:14 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  ---
Ya go into them with this idea of "the enemy" and before ya know it, with all of this affirmation and re-affirmation of your idea, all of x group is "the enemy".
---
Why would anyone do that?
Do you have some sort of preconceived notions about all places you go?

(20-09-2014 04:10 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  So, while communities are great, sometimes they need to let reality in, a little bit, or become reality's victim.

Ironically, how ironic. Dodgy

It's quite clear what I meant.
20-09-2014, 08:52 PM
When I was broke as hell and I asked my grandmother for some money she told me I deserved to be poor because I'm an atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Mage The Entertainer's post
20-09-2014, 08:54 PM
(20-09-2014 08:42 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  ...
Here's fine and pretty fun, but this whole "shit jebus worsheepers do" attitude is not good.

Depends on your definition of 'good'.

If catharsis and / or humour are considered good then... Tongue

Cool

20-09-2014, 08:57 PM
(20-09-2014 04:02 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Am I missing something?

There has never been a Christian in my life like that.

Where do you people live? (I agree the comments people have made are terrible, do you all live in like West Virginia or summot where people are evil?)

Well bless your pea-pickin' 'lil heart. I guess you've never been to the Deep South, have you? I'm tempted to record myself sayin' it so you can fully appreciate the condescension.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
20-09-2014, 09:02 PM
(20-09-2014 08:57 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 04:02 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Am I missing something?

There has never been a Christian in my life like that.

Where do you people live? (I agree the comments people have made are terrible, do you all live in like West Virginia or summot where people are evil?)

Well bless your pea-pickin' 'lil heart. I guess you've never been to the Deep South, have you? I'm tempted to record myself sayin' it so you can fully appreciate the condescension.

I live in the South.
20-09-2014, 09:03 PM
(20-09-2014 08:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 08:42 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  ...

Depends on your definition of 'good'.

If catharsis and / or humour are considered good then... Tongue

Cool

Well I define not good as just contributing to the general stress, angst, and frustration over the topic.
20-09-2014, 09:04 PM
(20-09-2014 08:52 PM)Mage The Entertainer Wrote:  When I was broke as hell and I asked my grandmother for some money she told me I deserved to be poor because I'm an atheist.

Interesting logic. Dodgy

This must mean that theists, and presumably also the lilies of the field, deserve material wealth.

S'funny how there is a correlation between poverty/instability/insecurity and belief in the supernatural.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post