FB Memes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2011, 09:40 PM
FB Memes?
We've all seen them. Crap like this:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! MY GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH MY HAND ON MY HEART. THEY NO LONGER DO THAT FOR FEAR OF OFFENDING SOMEONE! LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL RE-POST

Well I want to create some equally-obnoxious Atheist themed memes to copy n' paste.

How about:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! MY GRANDFATHER'S GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH HIS HAND ON HIS HEART. THEY ADDED 'UNDER GOD' IN 1954 BECAUSE CHRISTIANS WANT TO PUSH THEIR BELIEFS ON OTHERS! LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL RE-POST

What do you think? What are some others that bug you?

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 09:49 PM
RE: FB Memes?
I think it's weird that a country would brainwash children by making them pray to their country like that.

The ironic thing is that WWII propaganda in America showed the "poor innocent children being recruited into the Nazi war machine" (children stood at their desks with the national salute, reciting the nazi pledge)

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't really pay attention to facebook, if I did I'd probably start being a hacker I'd be so pissed at people. As far as the message you have there, I grew up when they had kids do that, and I refused to. A few teachers tried to convince me to say it, but I wouldn't. And in the end of the day the schools accepted that a 7 year old kid knows more about rights than the teachers. They could never require you to pledge allegiance.

I hear enough of these statements offline, why would I want to hear the crap online?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Patriotism: The delusion that your country is better then an other because you where born in it.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-03-2011, 03:40 AM
(21-03-2011 09:40 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  We've all seen them. Crap like this:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! MY GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH MY HAND ON MY HEART. THEY NO LONGER DO THAT FOR FEAR OF OFFENDING SOMEONE! LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL RE-POST

Well I want to create some equally-obnoxious Atheist themed memes to copy n' paste.

How about:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! MY GRANDFATHER'S GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH HIS HAND ON HIS HEART. THEY ADDED 'UNDER GOD' IN 1954 BECAUSE CHRISTIANS WANT TO PUSH THEIR BELIEFS ON OTHERS! LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL RE-POST

It's very cool Smile

"Under God" was inserted in the 50's as a direct response to the godless communist threat and a way to separate, and assure, the world camps. We were on the side of god, therefore we were the good guys....

Of course, I just took a hit on FB for reposting this:

http://www.heavingdeadcats.com/2011/03/21/the-god-meme/
(By the way - if you're not a regular reader of Heaving Dead Cats - you should be...)
The comment I received:

"This is rough Sean. If i was of some protected class of person, this would not be politically correct. If you said these kinds, or types of things about, women, jews, blacks, imigrants, muslims, short people, fat people, mentally retarded p...eople, etc. You would be chastised. And you would chastise me if i did. Yet, you say these things about Christians, simply because we do not believe, or agree with what you believe. Sean, really? Have we harmed you? For believing. Friend, we love you, even when you are mad at us, for believing. Steve"

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2011, 05:48 AM
That was great overall, but this was the best one:

Quote:Ban eating pigs – Create bacon.

Fantastic.

Btw, you may want to point out to Steve that your commentary actually is not focused on Christians but includes Jews and Muslims too. Some people simply do not get it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-03-2011, 06:35 AM
(21-03-2011 09:40 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  We've all seen them. Crap like this:

How about:

The one that got me was the prayer wave for the tsunami victims. Really? A predominantly atheistic nation gets hit with a giant wave of water and your first thought is to not only make the empty gesture of prayer but to send that empty gesture in the form of a giant wave? Really?
22-03-2011, 07:04 AM

(22-03-2011 06:35 AM)gamutman Wrote:  The one that got me was the prayer wave for the tsunami victims. Really? A predominantly atheistic nation gets hit with a giant wave of water and your first thought is to not only make the empty gesture of prayer but to send that empty gesture in the form of a giant wave? Really?

That one came really really close to pushing me over the edge. I usually let the very few "God" friends I have on FB do their thing. The ones I have are generally quiet with just a rare God meme, but the prayer wave came so close to getting a mega sarcastic reply (I even started typing). It was only when I realized with all that was happening in Japan it was just not a good time to pick a fight so I was restrained.

How about:

BTW I like this a lot mostly because it's 100% truth with just a little venom. I wouldn't post it though sorry to say. I'm just not a boat rocker.
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't post it either, but mostly because I don't support pledging allegiance to symbols of any type. I do, however, post shit stirring stuff on my Facebook page.
22-03-2011, 07:56 AM
(22-03-2011 03:40 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  "This is rough Sean. If i was of some protected class of person, this would not be politically correct. If you said these kinds, or types of things about, women, jews, blacks, imigrants, muslims, short people, fat people, mentally retarded p...eople, etc. You would be chastised. And you would chastise me if i did. Yet, you say these things about Christians, simply because we do not believe, or agree with what you believe. Sean, really? Have we harmed you? For believing. Friend, we love you, even when you are mad at us, for believing. Steve"

My reply to my buddy...

Steve - Couple things:

1. I didn't say these things, I simply reposted an interesting, and what I believe to be a thought provoking, article.

2. Questioning long-standing assumptions/beliefs is how we grow as people. This wasn't meant t...o be offensive to any one individuals' faith; however, if you found it offensive, I would simply ask, what exactly was it that offended you? Obviously some of the memes are tongue in cheek, but others are dead on aren't they?

3. Isn't this the same right/opportunity to espouse my belief (or lack thereof) as someone who puts a biblical quote in their status update? I don't go on to their update and say things like - "Yeah, whatever...there is no god..." That would be rude and mean...just curious how that works in the other direction.

4. Atheists, or non-theists, are among the most discriminated groups in the US, even homosexuals have a better chance of being elected to public office in the US than an atheist - largely because atheists are cowed into being quiet and not voicing their views for public consumption and discourse. Just somethings to think about...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user