FB discussion with a theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 07:57 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
FB discussion with a theist
I rarely engage on FB as I find it pointless.

I got drawn into a discussion on blasphemy/free speech and one of the posters responded to me that you should never insult god.

When I asked which god (naming several no longer worshipped), they responded with "the ones currently worshipped." Frusty

So, I guess the belief part is the important thing, not what you believe. Good grief.

I weep for humanity. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-05-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: FB discussion with a theist
I find that people who respond in that manner are only doing themselves a disservice, by not examining their weak position. But who knows, maybe they'll achieve some brain leakage, and through the opening receive some bits of enlightenment. Crazier things have happen.

Nicely done on keeping your cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
20-05-2015, 07:56 AM
(20-05-2015 07:41 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I weep for humanity. cup:

Two gods one cup...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
20-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Ah well, tell them your nonexistent god can beat up their invisible god any day of the week.

Check and mate, theists. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
20-05-2015, 09:49 AM
I like to think that I am never really slinging insults at god, just at the people who insist that personal imaginary friends deserve respect from other mature humans like myself.

Your first sentence sums it up, so avoid engaging with idiots on FB is the smartest thing you can do.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
20-05-2015, 01:07 PM
"Dear Mr or Miss fb person,

I'm not insulting your god, for I am just a humble tool of reason and critical thinking. If your god is offended by the use of reason, then it is free to submit a complaint. If it is an unreasonable complaint, I'm fairly certain it will be filed with all of the other gods who are equally upset.

As an atheist, I don't believe your god is upset. I believe you are upset. I don't believe your god wishes to curtail my behavior. I believe you do.

Your god has not been insulted. It is you who feels insulted because your god only exists in your mind.

Have a good atheist day."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Quote:and one of the posters responded to me that you should never insult god.

Fuck god.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-05-2015, 04:18 PM
It's kinda hard to insult genocidal tyrant. Whatever bad you say about him is probably truth not insult.

To be more serious, you don't "insult" god because? Those who believe in some fairy tale start cry? There is no reason for which religion shouldn't be criticized.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-05-2015, 04:24 PM
With the Christian trinity god you get three for the price of one.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
20-05-2015, 06:58 PM
FB is crazy. Today, I watched a video of a guy interacting with a fox he had saved. The fox acted much like a cross between a dog and a cat. Anyway, it was an innocuous little clip. After a few pleasant observational comments, the thing turned into a discussion of religion or no religion, pages of it.

While it is absolutely ridiculous that that clip should cause the religious to spout bible verses, it was interesting that so many told the religious to STFU. In the end, it ended up making me feel good - I see more and more atheists everywhere these days. Young and old, all walks of life - you gotta love that.

The first 40+ years of my life no one EVER opposed religious crap aloud. Makes me feel good to see it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post