Poll: Should Apple comply with the order to unlock the San Bernardino iPhone?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 06:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’
(22-02-2016 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 04:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  HACKERMAN TO THE RESCUE!

"And why do the best hackers on the planet not work for the FBI? Because the FBI will not hire anyone with a 24-inch purple mohawk, 10-gauge ear piercings, and a tattooed face who demands to smoke weed while working and won't work for less than a half-million dollars a year. But you bet your ass that the Chinese and Russians are hiring similar people with similar demands and have been for many years. It's why we are decades behind in the cyber race."

Decades! For systems that aren't even decades old, no less. It takes real dedication to be that far behind!

It's like stupid clever. In like 2000 DoD mandated all systems would be IPv6 ready by no later than 2012. The Chinese said "Aha! Stupid Americans we will start to write our new cyber attacks exploiting the vulnerabilities of IPv6. We got you now!" 16 years later the Chinese are like "Where the fuck you at stupid Americans? Why ain't you IPv6 ready yet?" Sometimes incompetence can work to your advantage. At work we call it the Baby Huey effect.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-02-2016, 06:16 PM
From the link...

Quote:His letter includes an appeal for a national conversation about “how to both embrace the technology we love and get the safety we need.” Comey, who became the FBI’s director in 2013, said there is “a serious tension between two values we all treasure — privacy and safety.”

“That tension should not be resolved by corporations that sell stuff for a living. It also should not be resolved by the FBI, which investigates for a living,” wrote Comey,
“It should be resolved by the American people deciding how we want to govern ourselves in a world we have never seen before. We shouldn’t drift to a place — or be pushed to a place by the loudest voices,” Comey said.

I can agree with that. But not just "American people". Apple is global. Whereas the FBI only wants to be.

Incidentally, Franklin's privacy vs. safety quote, i.e. that ages old tension between freedom and security, is a great secular example of what christians have been doing for centuries with biblical texts.

From the link:
Quote:Misquoting folks isn’t new. It arises from the need to push an idea rather than investigate truth;

Of course, anyone who is or has been married, or indeed entered into any social contract (words chosen deliberately), will know that for harmonious coexistence, life is a trade-off between freedom and privacy vs. security and safety.

Governance systems can be tested for robustness by up-scaling or down-scaling as a thought experiment...

For example, would you read your partners diary if you suspected them of infidelity?
If yes, you're with the FBI. If no, you're with Apple.

What if you thought your accountant was stealing your money? Investigate or not?

Consider

So I think it boils down to (like much of law) on intent, consent and the four reasons to monitor and measure: To validate prior decisions, to justify future decisions, to set direction and/or to intervene.

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I thought I heard on the radio today that the phone actually belonged to the guy's employer. What if they give permission?

Or maybe I misheard.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
22-02-2016, 06:37 PM
(22-02-2016 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought I heard on the radio today that the phone actually belonged to the guy's employer. What if they give permission?

Or maybe I misheard.

I think the main problem is that the FBI has suggested Apple introduce a backdoor into iOS but it will only be used just this one time. Apple says "So you want to destroy the trust our consumer base has in us and suspect we're in bed with you (because we will be) since it will only be used this one time. Bullshit. It will get out there and it will be exploited. And that will cost us big bucks to rectify." I think the McAfee dude is saying "The FBI is inept. I and my hackers will decrypt the shit for free in 3 weeks using traditional means by using worldwide resources and crowd sourcing. Apple is right to object and the FBI is stupid to think they know how to properly do this." Meanwhile the consumer is naively saying "Thank God I use Android." Siily, silly gooses.

#sigh
22-02-2016, 06:42 PM
(22-02-2016 06:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought I heard on the radio today that the phone actually belonged to the guy's employer. What if they give permission?

Or maybe I misheard.

I think the main problem is that the FBI has suggested Apple introduce a backdoor into iOS but it will only be used just this one time. Apple says "So you want to destroy the trust our consumer base has in us and suspect we're in bed with you (because we will be) since it will only be used this one time. Bullshit. It will get out there and it will be exploited. And that will cost us big bucks to rectify." I think the McAfee dude is saying "The FBI is inept. I and my hackers will decrypt the shit for free in 3 weeks using traditional means by using worldwide resources and crowd sourcing. Apple is right to object and the FBI is stupid to think they know how to properly do this." Meanwhile the consumer is naively saying "Thank God I use Android." Siily, silly gooses.

I was thinking along the lines of rules about the use and information on company computers and other electronics. That's why I asked if the company that owned the phone can't okay it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

22-02-2016, 06:49 PM
I doubt this is worth the argument.
There is likely nothing useful on it, and both those assholes are dead.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-02-2016, 06:49 PM
(22-02-2016 06:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 06:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think the main problem is that the FBI has suggested Apple introduce a backdoor into iOS but it will only be used just this one time. Apple says "So you want to destroy the trust our consumer base has in us and suspect we're in bed with you (because we will be) since it will only be used this one time. Bullshit. It will get out there and it will be exploited. And that will cost us big bucks to rectify." I think the McAfee dude is saying "The FBI is inept. I and my hackers will decrypt the shit for free in 3 weeks using traditional means by using worldwide resources and crowd sourcing. Apple is right to object and the FBI is stupid to think they know how to properly do this." Meanwhile the consumer is naively saying "Thank God I use Android." Siily, silly gooses.

I was thinking along the lines of rules about the use and information on company computers and other electronics. That's why I asked if the company that owned the phone can't okay it.

If the FBI confiscated it as crime scene evidence the company has no say in the matter. Problem is FBI don't know how to decrypt the info and are asking/trying to compel Apple into helping them by introducing a "one-time" backdoor into their operating system because they can't think of any other way to do it. There's no fucking way the FBI can legally do this so McAfee stepped in with a solution which does not compromise Apple and gets the info for the FBI for just this phone, not a fucking backdoor into the iOS.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-02-2016, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 07:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-02-2016 06:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  I doubt this is worth the argument.

Due diligence.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-02-2016, 07:02 PM
(22-02-2016 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 06:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  I doubt this is worth the argument.

Due diligence.

There really aren't any interesting unanswered questions about this.

Certainly nothing interesting enough for this bullshit demand from the FBI.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 07:04 PM
(22-02-2016 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 06:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was thinking along the lines of rules about the use and information on company computers and other electronics. That's why I asked if the company that owned the phone can't okay it.

If the FBI confiscated it as crime scene evidence the company has no say in the matter. Problem is FBI don't know how to decrypt the info and are asking/trying to compel Apple into helping them by introducing a "one-time" backdoor into their operating system because they can't think of any other way to do it. There's no fucking way the FBI can legally do this so McAfee stepped in with a solution which does not compromise Apple and gets the info for the FBI for just this phone, not a fucking backdoor into the iOS.
Thanks...I haven't really looked into the whole story, just heard a few news blurbs here and there. Your explanation helps. Thumbsup