Poll: Should Apple comply with the order to unlock the San Bernardino iPhone?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 09:08 AM
RE: FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’
FBI are asking for something that affects a lot of people and is clearly open to abuse. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
23-02-2016, 09:09 AM
(23-02-2016 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 08:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just not a very good thought.
This is about the risk to the security of the millions of iPhones.

... which sounds very caring n'all.

Call me cynical but could it be "about the risk to" market-share relating to the perception of lack of "security of the millions of iPhones".

Drinking Beverage

I didn't claim it was altruistic. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2016, 09:16 AM
(23-02-2016 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 09:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... which sounds very caring n'all.

Call me cynical but could it be "about the risk to" market-share relating to the perception of lack of "security of the millions of iPhones".

Drinking Beverage

I didn't claim it was altruistic. Consider

I didn't claim you claimed it was altruistic.

And you didn't claim I claimed you claimed etc.
Big Grin

23-02-2016, 09:20 AM
(23-02-2016 09:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't claim it was altruistic. Consider

I didn't claim you claimed it was altruistic.

And you didn't claim I claimed you claimed etc.
Big Grin

I curse you, and I recurse you!

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-02-2016, 09:20 AM
(23-02-2016 08:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 08:56 AM)TheBear Wrote:  One more thing I'd like to add - If this was related to Timothy McVeigh's iPhone, Apple would be falling all over themselves in their cooperation with the FBI. I believe that since it's not a McVeigh type, but instead a Muslim, Apple is making a political statement supporting the notion of those poor, persecuted Muslims.

Just a thought ...

Just not a very good thought.

I disagree. The sky isn't falling, and the 4th Amendment hasn't been repealed. And what about Android and all those other non iPhone devises that FBI can and do hack into all the time during lawful investigations? Should they cease and desist? And what about phone records from carriers? Do they need to start refusing to release phone call records in criminal investigations? Was it unconstitutional for the FBI to enter their house and go through all their personal effects?

Is Apple a god, and somehow above the law, just because they invented a device which is difficult to hack?
23-02-2016, 09:22 AM
(23-02-2016 09:20 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 08:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just not a very good thought.

I disagree. The sky isn't falling, and the 4th Amendment hasn't been repealed. And what about Android and all those other non iPhone devises that FBI can and do hack into all the time during lawful investigations? Should they cease and desist? And what about phone records from carriers? Don't they need to start refusing to release phone call records in a criminal investigations? Was it unconstitutional for the FBI to enter their house and go through all their personal effects?

Is Apple a god, and somehow above the law, just because they invented a device which is difficult to hack?

Without a warrant, FBI can get fucked. If they're hacking Android phones without warrants then they're criminals.

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-02-2016, 09:30 AM
(23-02-2016 09:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 09:20 AM)TheBear Wrote:  I disagree. The sky isn't falling, and the 4th Amendment hasn't been repealed. And what about Android and all those other non iPhone devises that FBI can and do hack into all the time during lawful investigations? Should they cease and desist? And what about phone records from carriers? Don't they need to start refusing to release phone call records in a criminal investigations? Was it unconstitutional for the FBI to enter their house and go through all their personal effects?

Without a warrant, FBI can get fucked. If they're hacking Android phones without warrants then they're criminals.

I agree.

When I said, "lawful investigations", due process was implied. Drinking Beverage
23-02-2016, 09:34 AM
(23-02-2016 09:30 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 09:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  Without a warrant, FBI can get fucked. If they're hacking Android phones without warrants then they're criminals.

I agree.

When I said, "lawful investigations", due process was implied.

And the issue is that oversight. A backdoor in encryption algorithms potentially weakens them to the point that everything might as well be plain text. Which means that not only the FBI, NSA and the *lawful* kids (who are not guaranteed to follow due process, only to try not to get caught not following it), but every other malicious Tom, Dick and Harry, can have a party in your phone. Still keen?

23-02-2016, 09:41 AM
What's wrong with the idea of taking that device to Apple, have Apple extract the information from that device only, turn the files over to the FBI, then destroy the hacking program once they got what they wanted? Is that too far fetched?
23-02-2016, 09:48 AM
I got a better idea - farm out that project to a 16 year-old hacker in China. Laugh out load