Poll: Should Apple comply with the order to unlock the San Bernardino iPhone?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 01:15 PM
RE: FBI boss to Apple backers: ‘Stop saying the world is ending’
(23-02-2016 11:19 AM)TheBear Wrote:  My bottom line stance is this - In situations involving known criminals who have committed crimes, there is no 'off limits' regarding their privacy when it comes to lawful investigations. They have forfeited those rights.

The privacy being protected is not just theirs, it's yours, mine, and everyone else's too.

You're being shortsighted.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-02-2016, 01:20 PM
(24-02-2016 01:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 01:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And yet they both have terms in the EULAs regarding information sharing with law enforcement. Does Apple have such terms in theirs regarding their encryption?

Poor analogy.

That's not really an issue IMO. Protection of majority trumps EULA. If you really want info to be private, don't put it on the phone/web/whatever.

The issue is that computers in general and phones in particular are ubiquitous, and that government is asking for power to spy on their citizens. It always ends badly. Even if a really good government, competent, not-corrupt, the whole nine yards, were in office and asked for this, there's no guarantee that once they have it they will remain such paragons. Better not to give it to them. If privacy is surrendered it will be a long hard road to claw anything back.

I'm pointing out why his analogy is flawed. The protection of the majority is encapsulated in the EULA by the clause that states that info may be turned over to law enforcement officials, while such is not the case with Apple's encryption. For that reason, comparing this case to a hypothetical subpoena to Twitter or Facebook is silly, because those users already understand and have agreed to the idea that their privacy is already compromised, in some cases.

As for the rest of your post, of course I agree, and that is why I don't like the government's stance here. I'm struggling to think of one power or capability the government has which it has not abused at one time or another ... and wondering why we should add to that list.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Interesting article on what could be next if FBI wins case against Apple

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/27/if-ap...-unlocked/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-03-2016, 05:34 AM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/...ork-court/

At least one judge isn't very happy with the idea of handing cops the power to remotely spy on people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
01-03-2016, 06:48 AM
(01-03-2016 05:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/...ork-court/

At least one judge isn't very happy with the idea of handing cops the power to remotely spy on people.

I like where he says

“In a world in which so many devices, not just smartphones, will be connected to the Internet of Things, the government's theory that a licensing agreement allows it to compel the manufacturers of such products to help it surveil the products' users will result in a virtually limitless expansion of the government's legal authority to surreptitiously intrude on personal privacy."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
01-03-2016, 07:10 AM
The FBI has way too much power as it is. One can never put the genie back into the bottle once it is out.
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
02-03-2016, 02:50 AM
Governments rarely expand rights they have constricted without the impetus of revolution.
21-04-2016, 04:06 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...r-s-salary

Turns out the FBI simply paid about $1.3 million for a tool that can break into this particular iPhone. Apple's noble refusal to comply with them was rendered utterly irrelevant by this move. The FBI and CIA always get what they want, no matter how much violence and illegal and unconstitutional actions it takes.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-04-2016, 05:29 PM
(21-04-2016 04:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...r-s-salary

Turns out the FBI simply paid about $1.3 million for a tool that can break into this particular iPhone. Apple's noble refusal to comply with them was rendered utterly irrelevant by this move. The FBI and CIA always get what they want, no matter how much violence and illegal and unconstitutional actions it takes.

Duh. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-04-2016, 06:21 PM
(21-04-2016 04:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...r-s-salary

My Feds are better than your BfV? Maybe it's just that the peops there keep secrets better. Gasp