FBI bypasses Apple - Hacks iPhone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 06:35 PM
FBI bypasses Apple - Hacks iPhone
linky
Quote:Justice Department cracks iPhone; withdraws legal action

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI said Monday it successfully used a mysterious technique without Apple Inc.'s help to hack into the iPhone used by a gunman in a mass shooting in California, effectively ending a pitched court battle between the Obama administration and one of the world's leading technology companies.

The government asked a federal judge to vacate a disputed order forcing Apple to help the FBI break into the iPhone, saying it was no longer necessary. The court filing in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California provided no details about how the FBI did it or who showed it how. The FBI is reviewing the information on the iPhone, the Justice Department said in a statement.

Apple did not immediately comment on the development.

Soooo. As the article mentions further on, there are some unanswered questions.

Quote:Who showed the FBI how to break into iPhones?
How did the government bypass the security features that Apple has invested millions of dollars to build into its flagship product?
Are newer iPhones vulnerable to the same hacking technique?
Will the FBI share its information with scores of state and local police agencies that said they also need to break into the iPhones of criminal suspects?
Will the FBI reveal to Apple how it broke its security?
Did the FBI find anything useful on the iPhone?

This development is somewhat disturbing, although it was going to happen eventually.

I wonder if they needed to have the phone or if it could be done remotely.
Once a phone has been hacked, could you tell if it has been hacked?
Will this same technique work on other software? This is unlikely, however, but it still may be possible.

Given Apple's resistance to helping the FBI, I don't see the Feds being willing to share their secrets in return.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
28-03-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: FBI bypasses Apple - Hacks iPhone
Another article, this one on CNN:

linky
Quote:A law enforcement official, speaking to reporters on condition of anonymity, would not reveal how it pulled off this hack, but he said the method only works on this particular model, an iPhone 5C running a version of iOS 9 software. He said it was "premature" to say whether this method works on other models.

The article also notes that Apple would need to know the techniques used, in order to prevent foreign espionage via the iPhones. It will be interesting to see how concerned the FBI is about national security.

Quote:Several experts closely watching this case say the fight between the FBI and Apple will only continue elsewhere. Both sides are already waging a similar battle over a criminal's iPhone in New York City.
This was evident from the first court filings. Every law enforcement case will be a matter of national security.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
28-03-2016, 07:18 PM
I certainly hope that Apple now upgrades its security and fuck the FBI.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
28-03-2016, 07:20 PM
I've no doubt that they had the phone in front of them. It's actually not terribly difficult to do -- from what a few friends have said who have done it. They insisted it was dumb for the government to sue Apple to begin with. All it really takes is taking apart the phone. They had the means probably all along but wanted to see if they could get apple to give them REMOTE access...thereby the ability to unlock any iPhone.

It was also dumb they bricked the phone to begin with.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post