FFRF Challenges prayer at UTK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 05:02 PM
FFRF Challenges prayer at UTK
As you all might have heard prior, the FFRF sent a letter to the UTC in Tennessee to stop having Christian prayers before football games at their public schools--or else. UTC complied. Now FFRF has it's site set on UTK--also in Tennessee.

I personally find this funny because I live in Tennessee and in Knoxville. I am posting this to share the shit hitting the fan. It's already bubbling. All my friends are from Knoxville and on Facebook the bitching is getting worse.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 05:13 PM
RE: FFRF Challenges prayer at UTK
(18-09-2012 05:02 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  As you all might have heard prior, the FFRF sent a letter to the UTC in Tennessee to stop having Christian prayers before football games at their public schools--or else. UTC complied. Now FFRF has it's site set on UTK--also in Tennessee.

I personally find this funny because I live in Tennessee and in Knoxville. I am posting this to share the shit hitting the fan. It's already bubbling. All my friends are from Knoxville and on Facebook the bitching is getting worse.

There's precedent, so it's highly likely that the prayer will get replaced with a moment of silence. That's why there's so much bitching! They can see the headlights bearing down on them.

I don't see what the problem is, though. If they want to pray, they'll still have that same opportunity -- they just won't get to use it as an evangelical tool.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
22-09-2012, 11:45 AM
RE: FFRF Challenges prayer at UTK
Agree. The whole idea is to stop the public preaching, which is intimidation of non-believers or other religions. East TN is very white-christian-conservative.

The message sent by public Christian prayer:
- You're not welcome here unless you believe as we do.
- WE are the ones in charge, you need to get that and shut up.
- You need to get with the program, which is Christianity.

I find ALL public prayer, inhuman...immoral...unacceptable.

How about a prayer to my Lord Lucifer? Evil_monster
Would that "offend" the Christians in the audience?
Make them feel uncomfortable?
Make them feel unwelcome?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user