FFS, Mary Poppins? Why Disney???!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 07:13 AM
FFS, Mary Poppins? Why Disney???!!!
So, the sleazebags in the movie industry just can't help shitting on classic movies. Disney is going to make a sequel to Mary Poppins. It is apparently going to take place 20 years later and come out on video the day after it releases (I added that).

Fuck you Disney.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-09-2015, 07:15 AM
RE: FFS, Mary Poppins? Why Disney???!!!
Seems rather unnecessary to me, but can't say I give a shit. LOVE that episode of South Park too BTW.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
15-09-2015, 08:03 AM
There is a whole series of books isn't there. I don't know how well known that is as I only randomly found out that like 4 years ago. I'd guess it's a leap off of those.

I think they were feeling this out with that Tom Hanks Disney movie about trying to get that film made to judge the interest.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-09-2015, 08:05 AM
I suppose a sequel is preferable to a remake.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
15-09-2015, 08:08 AM
(15-09-2015 08:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I suppose a sequel is preferable to a remake.

Well, that is true. I wouldn't put it past them to remake it with the new cast.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
15-09-2015, 08:20 AM
(15-09-2015 08:08 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I suppose a sequel is preferable to a remake.

Well, that is true. I wouldn't put it past them to remake it with the new cast.

That said, I didn't think Disney had the rights to her other books...so I'm not sure what kind of sequel it could be.....

As to the remake...No...no..no...

That movie was practically perfect in every way.

Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-09-2015, 08:27 AM
(15-09-2015 08:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:08 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Well, that is true. I wouldn't put it past them to remake it with the new cast.

That said, I didn't think Disney had the rights to her other books...so I'm not sure what kind of sequel it could be.....

As to the remake...No...no..no...

That movie was practically perfect in every way.

Tongue

But think of all the CGI they could do now. They could add so much in the background in that penguin scene and even add more scenes from stock footage with the chimney sweeps and edit it so that Bert shoots first and ......oh wait, wrong movie.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-09-2015, 08:28 AM
On an unrelated note, I've just been shopping because it's Malaysia day tomorrow.

It's probably not safe to go out because protest marches have been scheduled and also the air quality is ghastly due to Indonesia being on fire again.

Also I have a dinner guest and I'm cooking my world famous cauliflower cheese.

Anyway... obviously I needed to purchase god's finest vegetable and I figured I should get some herbs to make a soup starter, maybe pea soup as a kinda joke because of the smog-filled atmosphere here.

Thing is, I have a couple of problems...
1. Inside the fridge are some compartment and one has this flap thingy and one hinge is broken so I needed to get something to fix it that won't mean it's permanently shut.
2. My guest is very sexy and I'm hoping to end up with at least a passionate kiss before the day's out. But I have a raging toothache and I'm worried that there's an infection that might give me bad breath. So I bought something for that.

Anyway, here's my shopping list:

Soup
A cauli
Fridge elastic
Eggs
Pea
Halitosis

Smartass

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
15-09-2015, 08:34 AM
(15-09-2015 08:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Anyway, here's my shopping list:

Soup
A cauli
Fridge elastic
Eggs
Pea
Halitosis

Smartass

That belongs in the groan-worthy jokes thread.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-09-2015, 09:15 AM
That Tom Hanks movie Finding Mr Banks was interesting to me - I always wondered about those weird nanny stories (there are several, Poppins, Ms Piggle-Wiggle, etc.,.).

I always felt the original Poppins film to be very complex - part happy fantasy, part uneasy reality - the "real world" thrust upon children. Disney actually pulled it off... something they probably couldn't do without the perfectionist expectations of Walter cracking the whip.

Even as a small child, I became concerned for the poverty of the old woman selling birdseed, and felt the desperation of the father - though I'm certain I had no idea of the extent of eithers' struggles.

In book form, those kinds of stories can help guide children through their thoughts about growing up. I don't know if that is so true with film - so much is often left out for the sake of time, entertainment, and of course, money.

The origional Poppins film achieved a certain level of complexity that balanced fairly well with musical fantasy. Since Walt's death, Disney's track record has been less about art, and more about money, with a capital MOUSE. So, when someone says 'sequel' all I can think is, they've either forgotten what the word "origional" means or they hope you have.
Hmm... Consider don't we have "Nanny McFee", these days? And what about "Lemoney Snicket" .... and the continuing (never-ending) adventures of that Potter boy ...? Jesustits - talk about jumping on the big bucks bandwagon!

If Disney pulls it off a second time with Poppins, integrity may gain some very long ago lost ground. I'm not placing any bets. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post