FIRST country song I have ever really liked.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2016, 01:34 PM
RE: FIRST country song I have ever really liked.
Given the choice between listening to country, rap, or hip hop music ----

I'd just as soon stick a gun to my head and see how many times I can pull the trigger.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-03-2016, 01:52 PM
(26-03-2016 12:03 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  A little background. I grew up unfortunately on a street full of bigots, and grew up associating country music to bigotry. Well that is flat out false, just like any other group, you have assholes in every bunch. I have learned a lot since then, especially after meeting my "redneck" friend from Oklahoma, John. He grew up believing, gave up on it in his early 20s but even then was more of a Libertarian. But after a stint at Dish Hellwork, he is now not only an redneck atheist, but an economic liberal as well.

Anywho, he has pointed out to me over the years many liberal "rednecks" like Willy Nelson and Woody Guthrie, whom while I never got into but still valued their empathy. Well just now this morning I ran into a song by Margo Price "About To Find Out" which is about the smugness of those who think they are hot shit. Really appropriate considering what is going on in politics and the 1%.

HERE IS MARGO PRICE "ABOUT TO FIND OUT",

What a coincidence, we watched her live on a morning program today!
Indeed we both thought she was great, and told a great story. They sold the wedding rings, and her husband went out and sold the car without telling her to try and get her music recorded. Jack White's ( The White Stripes) own label picked her up.
26-03-2016, 02:08 PM

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
26-03-2016, 02:18 PM
(26-03-2016 01:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Given the choice between listening to country, rap, or hip hop music ----

I'd just as soon stick a gun to my head and see how many times I can pull the trigger.............

Yep, you know I am dealing with someone else who thinks that way. And the fans of hip hop and rap say the same thing about classic rock and metal. Coke vs Pepsi, Ford vs Chevy.

But the reality with any new product, music or the things you buy, there are prior influences that go into your personal tastes that have a bigger range than you think. All the different types people like stem from BOTH African and European folk music going back far enough.

I do have my preferences sure, everyone does, but am not stuck on saying "no" off the bat anymore. With the types of music I don't care for, I still give each individual song, a few bars. It depends now for me on the individual song. But I am no longer "never" about an entire style.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-03-2016, 02:27 PM

[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
26-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I grew up with and played classical music, for the most part.
Dolly Parton is a genius, musically.
Her talent is amazing ... she is one of the most musical people I have ever seen.
I also love Blue Grass. It's as complex, beautiful, and musical as any classical music ever composed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-03-2016, 03:21 PM
(26-03-2016 03:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I grew up with and played classical music, for the most part.
Dolly Parton is a genius, musically.
Her talent is amazing ... she is one of the most musical people I have ever seen.
I also love Blue Grass. It's as complex, beautiful, and musical as any classical music ever composed.

I assume you've heard of Chris Thile. He's one of my favorites. I'd post some vids, but I'm too lazy. If anyone wants to see some ass kicking on a mandolin you should youtube him.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
26-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins were favorites of my dad's. I guess I was just used to hearing their music. When I was a kid and dad was in college, he and mom also listened to folk music of the time (Peter, Paul, and Mary and The Kingston Trio). That mix of country with folk vibes is the country music I like best...Willie, Waylon, Kristofferson...the story tellers.

I was a bit older when I realized how good Cash was. I was okay with his music because it was so familiar but didn't give it much thought until I discovered Willie and the like.

When dad died I put together some songs for the memorial service. I was trying to remember his favorite artists and sample a bit from all of them. That's when I realized what a talent Marty Robbins was. I was surprised that all the words from the albums 'Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs' and 'More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs' were etched in my memory though I hadn't heard them in decades.

Pretty much all 'modern' country music over the last 30 years leaves me cold.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-03-2016, 04:36 PM
The best (ironic) country song ever................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post