FIRST country song I have ever really liked.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 11:53 AM
RE: FIRST country song I have ever really liked.
I can't hold enough whiskey to get me to like any of that shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
03-04-2016, 11:56 AM
(03-04-2016 10:52 AM)StrangestTribe Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 09:00 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Recommend away Smile

I got tired and stopped adding songs Hobo
Consider
Bluegrass-ish: Trampled by Turtles, The Fox Hunt, .357 String Band, Pine Box Boys, Split-Lip Rayfield, Hackensaw Boys, Mountain Sprout, Hot Buttered Rum String Band, Head for the Hills.

Similar, but bluesier: Hillstomp, Devil in a Woodpile, Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir.

Singer/Songwriter: Austin Lucas, Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Jason Isbell, Justin Townes Earle, Greg Griffin (Bad Religion).

These are all the bands that are coming to mind at the moment. If I think of more, I will definitely add them. I know they don't all adhere to your specifications, but I'm pretty sure every single one of these artists incorporates all the instruments you mentioned at one point or another.

I love Trampled by Turtles.

I'm listening to "Barton Hollow" by The Civil Wars as I type this.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
03-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
03-04-2016, 02:03 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
04-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I do a great Johnny Cash imitation. I have the same deep voice but I have a real, not faked, cowboy accent. I grew up as a cow puncher in the Dakotas. However, my wife hates country music, as do I, and I can put her in orbit just by saying, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash," and then singing, "I keep a close watch on this heart of mine. . ." Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
04-04-2016, 11:44 AM
I used to bounce in a country bar -- it was only a couple miles from my house (making it the local watering hole) -- and was owned by people I went to school with, and I'm friendly with....

I hated country music.

I used to wear a portable CD player with earbuds, and listen to loud rock and roll while working....

And yeah -- the "acquired" "cowboy" accent some of the dweebs there would use was pretty annoying..... Especially when you come to realize the furthest west they ever went was to Chicago for a field trip to the Science and Industry museum in junior high.........................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-04-2016, 11:52 AM
I tend to prefer the bluegrass end, but there's a lot of great country music.

Alison Krauss might be too mainstream, but she has a gorgeous voice and her band is tight. I love listening to her.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-04-2016, 01:16 PM
(04-04-2016 11:52 AM)julep Wrote:  I tend to prefer the bluegrass end, but there's a lot of great country music.

Alison Krauss might be too mainstream, but she has a gorgeous voice and her band is tight. I love listening to her.

Yes! I could listen to Alison Krauss all day.
04-04-2016, 01:20 PM
I was just over at Tim McGraw's twitter page today and asked him what he thought of Margo Price's song "About To Find Out", no response and I am sure he is busy, but she LIKED MY TWEET!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
10-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Most of the country music on the radio today is just pop music, so heavily manufactured and cleaned up to the point of loosing any character and soul it could have. Just like most pop music it's designed to be catchy but without substance. Having spent time in two places with very large rodeos you come to know a lot of country and a lot of singers quite well, even if you don't want too. There are however some fantastic Bands/songs out there.

I'm a huge history buff, especially military history so I adore this song about the history of Cavalry, and the band is unfortunately underrated:
Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier! by Corb Lund

Despite the religious content this is a fantastic story, and the end is just great:
Cattleman's Gun by Dean Brody

More mainstream and a bit more Rock and roll infused but I think this is a great song, and having met him he's a very personable and pleasant gentleman:
Mr. Misunderstood by Eric Church

As I've said before I really enjoy Alternative Bluegrass, especially that which has a distinct bit of Americana sound to it. Devil Makes Three and Trampled by Turtles have both been mentioned and are fantastic bands with "Do Wrong Right" and "Stars and Satellites" being their best albums respectively.

Similar bands that are so criminally underrated or unknown that it makes me sad include: Jonah Tolchin, Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons, and none more so than Brown Bird. Seriously, this band was amazing and the loss of David lamb was absolutely tragic. He infused such beauty and meaning into his lyrics.

A special mention has to go out forWilliam Elliott Whitmore has this voice that makes me think of deep woods Appalachian. I utterly love it and I consider him to be one of the greatest living American song writers especially if you like more somber, mournful or melancholy stuff like I do. His music can be utterly haunting.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post