FRC: This is a "Flight 93 Election".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2016, 09:03 AM
TLDR: 2 days before 9/11's 15th anniversary, head of Family Research Council compares Clinton candidacy and liberalism to 9/11 hijackers and says Evangelical voters must take back the plane or end western civilization as we know it. Facepalm

Gary Bauer: 'This Is A Flight 93 Election'

Quote:Gary Bauer of American Values, which is one of the co-sponsors of the 2016 Values Voter Summit, closed out his speech at the event today by literally comparing the upcoming presidential election to Flight 93, the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania on 9/11 after passengers fought back against the terrorists who had hijacked it.

"This country is the equivalent of that plane right now," Bauer said, citing a recent column posted on the Claremont Institute website. "We're heading for a disaster unless we can get control of the cockpit again and then maybe, just maybe, we'll have a chance."

The passengers on that plane "took the only shot they had," Bauer stated. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a Flight 93 election. This may be out last shot. It's time to roll. It's time to run down the aisle and save Western civilization."

Edit: Gah, wrong group, it was American Values, not FRC.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2016, 06:37 AM
RE: FRC: This is a "Flight 93 Election".
He actually mentioned neither Clinton nor liberalism in the video. Why are you making shit up?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2016, 08:37 AM
(11-09-2016 06:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  He actually mentioned neither Clinton nor liberalism in the video. Why are you making shit up?
That's nitpicking on semantics. One might reasonably infer that Bauer was addressing those people who actually support policies of the conservative right (ie. anyone agreeing with the agenda of the Values Voter Summit) and oppose any leftist/liberal political thinking. Therefore, it is not a major stretch to further infer that Bauer was indirectly referencing the Clinton campaign (and interests of left-leaning voters who might go for something along the lines of Johnson or Stein) and comparing conservative voters to "heroes" while smearing liberal ideas and voters as "terroristic" in nature. But these are things that have already been stated without dancing around the topic and probably shouldn't surprise anyone following the US presidential election.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
11-09-2016, 12:42 PM
(11-09-2016 08:37 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  That's nitpicking on semantics. One might reasonably infer that Bauer was addressing those people who actually support policies of the conservative right (ie. anyone agreeing with the agenda of the Values Voter Summit) and oppose any leftist/liberal political thinking. Therefore, it is not a major stretch to further infer that Bauer was indirectly referencing the Clinton campaign (and interests of left-leaning voters who might go for something along the lines of Johnson or Stein) and comparing conservative voters to "heroes" while smearing liberal ideas and voters as "terroristic" in nature. But these are things that have already been stated without dancing around the topic and probably shouldn't surprise anyone following the US presidential election.
It's not an issue of semantics or nitpicking, it's an issue of you putting words in his mouth that he never said and twisting the meaning of the words that he did say into a caricature. You should have researched the full context of this quote before criticizing him because the issue he raises is a legitimate one. He was not comparing the Clinton campaign or liberalism to terrorism, he was literally talking about Islamic terrorism and the consequences of allowing hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees from a barbaric, backwards culture enter into Western societies.

11-09-2016, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 01:09 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(11-09-2016 12:42 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 08:37 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  That's nitpicking on semantics. One might reasonably infer that Bauer was addressing those people who actually support policies of the conservative right (ie. anyone agreeing with the agenda of the Values Voter Summit) and oppose any leftist/liberal political thinking. Therefore, it is not a major stretch to further infer that Bauer was indirectly referencing the Clinton campaign (and interests of left-leaning voters who might go for something along the lines of Johnson or Stein) and comparing conservative voters to "heroes" while smearing liberal ideas and voters as "terroristic" in nature. But these are things that have already been stated without dancing around the topic and probably shouldn't surprise anyone following the US presidential election.
It's not an issue of semantics or nitpicking, it's an issue of you putting words in his mouth that he never said and twisting the meaning of the words that he did say into a caricature. You should have researched the full context of this quote before criticizing him because the issue he raises is a legitimate one. He was not comparing the Clinton campaign or liberalism to terrorism, he was literally talking about Islamic terrorism and the consequences of allowing hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees from a barbaric, backwards culture enter into Western societies.

You don't even have to caricature a guy who's a religious nut. Also I imagine if a liberal said something along the same lines, conservatives would be outraged about them "politicizing 9/11".

11-09-2016, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 09:34 PM by Icextentialist.)
(11-09-2016 12:42 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
I did actually research the context of the quote, which had basis in reference to an editorial article on the Claremont Institute website at http://www.claremont.org/crb/basicpage/t...-election/

It does basically say that the liberal agenda and Hillary Clinton will kill America. I don't need to interpret anything because that's what the author says. The author seems to be trying to justify their Trump vote over Hillary, so they compare the aforementioned to the worst thing they can think of heading up to 9/11, which is, presumably, the terrorists attacking America. Apply the content of the referenced editorial and Bauer's conservative background, and voila! You reach the conclusions we have reached already. Needless to say, I think both the author and Bauer are, arguably, way off base in their points. And I think YOU should delve deeper into background materials before accusing others of not taking things in context.

Peace, home dude.

Edit: Also, consider this response to the (forced) Flight 93 analogy. To me, this is more relevant for argument than the initial post by a guy using a pseudonym or a guy appropriating someone else's words as a talking point in front of what tends to be a group of select irrational and bigoted individuals. Value Voters, my ass. Kiss ass, partisan rabblerousers would be more apt. http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/08/isnt...-election/

[+] 2 users Like Icextentialist's post
11-09-2016, 10:50 PM
(11-09-2016 09:21 PM)Icextentialist Wrote:  I did actually research the context of the quote, which had basis in reference to an editorial article on the Claremont Institute website at http://www.claremont.org/crb/basicpage/t...-election/

It does basically say that the liberal agenda and Hillary Clinton will kill America. I don't need to interpret anything because that's what the author says. The author seems to be trying to justify their Trump vote over Hillary, so they compare the aforementioned to the worst thing they can think of heading up to 9/11, which is, presumably, the terrorists attacking America. Apply the content of the referenced editorial and Bauer's conservative background, and voila! You reach the conclusions we have reached already.
No, you didn't. The context of the quote is the full speech Bauer gave, not the article where he got the phrase "flight 93 election" from. Their statements are not interchangeable because they were written by two different people. Your assertion that Bauer was comparing Clinton and liberalism to terrorism with the flight 93 analogy could only have been born out of your ignorance of the context surrounding the quote. The full speech shows that he was literally talking about Islamic terrorism.

(11-09-2016 09:21 PM)Icextentialist Wrote:  Needless to say, I think both the author and Bauer are, arguably, way off base in their points.
Why do you think they're way off-base? I'm from Germany, the Western country that has taken in the vast majority of Muslim refugees up to this point, so I know first-hand about the consequences that Bauer was alluding to in his speech. On New Year's Eve last year, for instance, several hundred women were sexually assaulted by these third-world savages. The same thing happened again with dozens of women at various concerts over the past several months. If you speak German, you can look up the endless stream of newspaper articles about Muslim migrants sexually assaulting women in Germany and committing honor killings in the name of their God. Bauer is exactly right when he says that Clinton cannot be pro-women and import thousands of these barbarians into the US at the same time.

(11-09-2016 09:21 PM)Icextentialist Wrote:  And I think YOU should delve deeper into background materials before accusing others of not taking things in context.
"I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!"

(11-09-2016 09:21 PM)Icextentialist Wrote:  Peace, home dude.

Edit: Also, consider this response to the (forced) Flight 93 analogy. To me, this is more relevant for argument than the initial post by a guy using a pseudonym or a guy appropriating someone else's words as a talking point in front of what tends to be a group of select irrational and bigoted individuals. Value Voters, my ass. Kiss ass, partisan rabblerousers would be more apt. http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/08/isnt...-election/
I can agree that Trump's candidacy is like flight MH370, but the whole election? No. There's not a whole lot of mystery about what Clinton will do once she is office. Unlike Trump, she has held public office before so she has a record of policy decisions people can look at to figure out where she stands on certain issues.

12-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Yes, yes. You know a cute little rhyme from preschool and you watch over my shoulder while I do everything but sift through the mounds of trash journalism to find legitimate coverage of events and statistics from reliable organizations before making my own conclusions. Thanks for clearing that up! (stalker alert!)

I honestly cannot compare the possible migrants to the US, as of yet unidentified origin, to the situation in Germany. Most of the refugees who end up here tend to not cause issue en masse, though they do pose a difficulty in that their beliefs and customs are fundamentally different from those in Western society. Canadians have expressed as much regarding the latest batch of 12,000 refugees who got sent their way. I'd be interested in your humanitarian solution for the millions of homeless refugees that don't threaten jihad at the drop of a hat, many of whom are persecuted in their homelands for not being Muslim. Short of extreme "solutions" such as drowning them all in a large body of water or sending them back to active war zones, both of which I'm sure many people would support, where do they go/what should we in more developed nations do? I'm no bleeding heart, but I do recognize that happy, healthy people who are treated kindly by their supposed foes tend to be less likely to kill someone over just their religious beliefs/ideals. Most dogs don't bite the hand that feeds them, or something like that.

Unfortunately, change takes generations. Though it IS getting demonstrably better through deradicalization generation by generation, you're probably talking in the span of decades before the majority of refugees disassociate from their fundamentalist ideals. This does not make the violent actions of the fundamentalist minority okay, nor does it excuse the whole from scrutiny.

I consider the source of quotes to reflect both the intent of the original quote and the further intent of the quote when it was repurposed. Even in the context surrounding the quote, as you put it, I still come out hearing, "The terrorists are coming and it's all the liberals' faults! Especially that damned Hillary Clinton!" It's like Donald Trump quoting Mussoulini and then saying he likes to be associated with good quotes regardless of who made the original quip or comment. It's not a valid excuse. Especially when you're a bigot quoting "bigot-y" things or a fascist (among other not-so-flattering labels) quoting a deceased fascist.

You have a fair point on Clinton's record being a good indication of what to expect in her possible presidency. Which is why I trust her more than Trump with his littered background of cheating employees, scamming people with a fake university, flip flopping with no regard for anyone but his own agenda, lying far more broadly and dangerously than Clinton, heavily misogynist and generally bigoted opinions on damn near everything, an utter disregard for foreign policy (see: Mexico - wall, Middle East - carpet bombing and a suggestion of mob-style elimination of entire families, tactical nukes as his primary solution to anything difficult with hostile nations) etc. Even if a Clinton administration allows more refugees, the predominantly white Christian crowd Bauer was speaking to doesn't need to worry about losing their majority voice anytime soon.

12-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Forgot to mention and didn't want to bother editing the above post... Isn't the idea of a Flight 93 election just generally stupid? Both Bauer and the phantom writer have forcibly crafted and/or used the analogy to say that heroic passengers (conservative voters) need to take back the plane (nation) and land it (safely, without a hair out of place and, one would presume, preferably no Muslims in sight). Properly crafted with regards to the actual Flight 93... it leads one to think that Bauer wants voters to take back the country then steer it in a direction that involves self destruction... that's not very appealing. The analogy doesn't apply if it's not being used properly and politicizing the 9/11 attacks as Bauer has done is in poor taste.

[+] 1 user Likes Icextentialist's post
12-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Icextensialist already got the relevant points, but yes, he was citing a previous article in this. The Values Voter Summit is a right wing meeting by mainly Evangelical Christians who oppose liberal candidates, hence my feeling that his speech alluded to Hillary Clinton. Actually reading the article he was referencing, the article explicitly states Hillary Clinton.

(Bolding mine.)
The Claremont Institute Wrote:2016 is the Flight 93 election: charge the cockpit or you die. You may die anyway. You—or the leader of your party—may make it into the cockpit and not know how to fly or land the plane. There are no guarantees.

Except one: if you don’t try, death is certain. To compound the metaphor: a Hillary Clinton presidency is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto.
With Trump, at least you can spin the cylinder and take your chances.

Quote:A Hillary presidency will be pedal-to-the-metal on the entire Progressive-left agenda, plus items few of us have yet imagined in our darkest moments. Nor is even that the worst. It will be coupled with a level of vindictive persecution against resistance and dissent hitherto seen in the supposedly liberal West only in the most “advanced” Scandinavian countries and the most leftist corners of Germany and England. We see this already in the censorship practiced by the Davoisie’s social media enablers; in the shameless propaganda tidal wave of the mainstream media; and in the personal destruction campaigns—operated through the former and aided by the latter—of the Social Justice Warriors. We see it in Obama’s flagrant use of the IRS to torment political opponents, the gaslighting denial by the media, and the collective shrug by everyone else.

It’s absurd to assume that any of this would stop or slow—would do anything other than massively intensify—in a Hillary administration.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user