FRC: This is a "Flight 93 Election".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2016, 05:40 AM
RE: FRC: This is a "Flight 93 Election".
Why is the right cursed with idiots like this? Facepalm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 01:12 PM
(13-09-2016 05:40 AM)Naridar Wrote:  Why is the right cursed with idiots like this? Facepalm
Maybe it has something to do with what right espouses? Bigotry is attractive to idiots I think.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-09-2016, 06:12 PM
(12-09-2016 02:11 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  I honestly cannot compare the possible migrants to the US, as of yet unidentified origin, to the situation in Germany. Most of the refugees who end up here tend to not cause issue en masse, though they do pose a difficulty in that their beliefs and customs are fundamentally different from those in Western society. Canadians have expressed as much regarding the latest batch of 12,000 refugees who got sent their way.
The Canadian government was smart to implement a more sensible refugee policy than the one we have in Germany. They're ultimately still experiencing issues with their refugee population, but thanks to the fact that they only allowed women, children and families to enter the country, they don't have to deal with the same number of sexual assaults that we experience over here in Europe. According to CBC News, "unaccompanied men [are] not included because of ongoing security concerns."

(12-09-2016 02:11 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  I'd be interested in your humanitarian solution for the millions of homeless refugees that don't threaten jihad at the drop of a hat, many of whom are persecuted in their homelands for not being Muslim. Short of extreme "solutions" such as drowning them all in a large body of water or sending them back to active war zones, both of which I'm sure many people would support, where do they go/what should we in more developed nations do? I'm no bleeding heart, but I do recognize that happy, healthy people who are treated kindly by their supposed foes tend to be less likely to kill someone over just their religious beliefs/ideals. Most dogs don't bite the hand that feeds them, or something like that.
I doubt that there's an ideal solution for a messy situation like this, but one thing that would greatly alleviate the problem is if Saudi Arabia allowed these Muslims to come into their country as refugees and housed them in the conveniently deserted city of Mina (a city consisting 500,000 tents which can house up to 3,000,000 people and which is only used during hajj, an annual pilgrimage that lasts less than a week). The other Gulf states should also start taking in these people as refugees seeing as they're rich in both wealth and resources. The language and culture of these refugees are much closer to the ones found in these Arab states than they are to those in Western countries which should reduce the likelihood of problems with the native population.

(12-09-2016 02:11 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  Unfortunately, change takes generations. Though it IS getting demonstrably better through deradicalization generation by generation, you're probably talking in the span of decades before the majority of refugees disassociate from their fundamentalist ideals. This does not make the violent actions of the fundamentalist minority okay, nor does it excuse the whole from scrutiny.
Since you used the word "demonstrably", I think it's only fair that I ask you for your sources. I've tried researching statistics comparing the views of first and second-generation Muslims in Europe before, but I was only able to find a study conducted by a right-wing think-tank in the UK (not necessarily reliable) which showed that second generation Muslims are much more radical than their parent's generation.

(12-09-2016 02:11 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  I consider the source of quotes to reflect both the intent of the original quote and the further intent of the quote when it was repurposed. Even in the context surrounding the quote, as you put it, I still come out hearing, "The terrorists are coming and it's all the liberals' faults! Especially that damned Hillary Clinton!" It's like Donald Trump quoting Mussoulini and then saying he likes to be associated with good quotes regardless of who made the original quip or comment. It's not a valid excuse. Especially when you're a bigot quoting "bigot-y" things or a fascist (among other not-so-flattering labels) quoting a deceased fascist.
I don't think the discussion about this particular issue is going anywhere because we have a completely different approach to interpreting a speaker's/writer's intent. I suggest we agree to disagree on this point.

(12-09-2016 02:11 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  You have a fair point on Clinton's record being a good indication of what to expect in her possible presidency. Which is why I trust her more than Trump with his littered background of cheating employees, scamming people with a fake university, flip flopping with no regard for anyone but his own agenda, lying far more broadly and dangerously than Clinton, heavily misogynist and generally bigoted opinions on damn near everything, an utter disregard for foreign policy (see: Mexico - wall, Middle East - carpet bombing and a suggestion of mob-style elimination of entire families, tactical nukes as his primary solution to anything difficult with hostile nations) etc. Even if a Clinton administration allows more refugees, the predominantly white Christian crowd Bauer was speaking to doesn't need to worry about losing their majority voice anytime soon.
I can't claim to speak for the guy, but I'm not so sure that it's about losing their voice as much as it's about having to deal with a decades-long clash of cultures that will occur between the Muslim refugees and the overwhelmingly Christian native population. Germany is a textbook example of what happens when you allow tens of thousands of sexually frustrated single men from a backwards culture that treats women like chattel to enter a modern Western society. I think there's an even better argument to be had, though.

It would be a very inefficient use of money to transport all of these refugees to the US. I think that money would be much better spent on financially contributing to the European efforts to house hundreds of thousands of them. As far as I'm concerned, the US should feel obligated to either contribute significant amounts of cash to Germany and the other countries struggling to finance social programs for the refugees and/or use its allied status with Saudi Arabia to persuade them into taking in a large number of refugees. That's the least they could do for causing this crisis with their pointless wars in the Middle East in the first place.

(12-09-2016 02:24 AM)Icextentialist Wrote:  Forgot to mention and didn't want to bother editing the above post... Isn't the idea of a Flight 93 election just generally stupid? Both Bauer and the phantom writer have forcibly crafted and/or used the analogy to say that heroic passengers (conservative voters) need to take back the plane (nation) and land it (safely, without a hair out of place and, one would presume, preferably no Muslims in sight). Properly crafted with regards to the actual Flight 93... it leads one to think that Bauer wants voters to take back the country then steer it in a direction that involves self destruction... that's not very appealing. The analogy doesn't apply if it's not being used properly and politicizing the 9/11 attacks as Bauer has done is in poor taste.
Where are you getting that "conservative voters" thing from? They're by far not the only ones who oppose plans to bring over thousands of undocumented people from known terrorist countries.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Terrorists have countries?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.