FSM met my needs today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 11:14 AM
FSM met my needs today
[img][Image: image_zps368dd981.jpg][/img]

So, I have an 8 hour CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy - it's an all day dialysis for patients too unstable to tolerate the fluid shift of traditional hemodialysis) class today. The FSM was so good to me. He new my coffee wasn't yet effective, and then he appeared to me. Good to know His Noodliness is looking after all my critical patients requiring CRRT.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
24-09-2014, 11:40 AM
RE: FSM met my needs today
I wish my mom had had that available to her. After some ten years of dialysis she was barely able to tolerate it anymore and when disconnected there was always a time when she almost died.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-09-2014, 06:44 PM
(24-09-2014 11:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  I wish my mom had had that available to her. After some ten years of dialysis she was barely able to tolerate it anymore and when disconnected there was always a time when she almost died.

Long term dialysis is so hard on the body and the mind Sadcryface
Such a huge part of the life of a person with end stage renal failure is hooked up to a machine that both saves their life and has the ability to kill them quickly.

There is another form of hemodialysis that is kind of an in between CRRT and traditional hemo where the patient is on it for 8 hours. It would be great if there were dialysis centers that would provide treatments overnight with comfy beds. The patient could sleep while they get their treatment, and then go on about their day. If I had the money, I'd totally start it up. Make it like the Westin but with a dialysis machine and a bedside nurse.

For CRRT you have to be in the ICU. That's a horrible way to live long term. It's heartbreaking to see the patients cycle back and forth between ICU and step down, especially when they spend more than a year inside the hospital.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
24-09-2014, 07:01 PM
My mom refused dialysis in the end. She was sick of it all.

It was a huge circus, too. This was in Germany, and there were a zillion hoops to jump through.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man