Face it...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2016 10:31 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: Face it...
(16-11-2016 11:03 AM)Belinda Wrote:  ..."progressives" lost! I am a highly-education atheist from a prestigious university; my Ph.D. is in economics, and I am a woman. I'm also a Trump voter. Why? because Hillary's economic policies would absolutely devastate the economy to a greater extent than Obama's policies already have. He will repeal and replace a healthcare law that is a disaster. He will reduce taxes, both for corporations (we have the highest corporate tax rates in the world) and for individuals He will rebuild the military, which has been devastated by Obama. He will fix a crumbling infrastructure.

These policies are not "racist", "homophobic", "bigoted", "mysoginistic", "Islamophobic", or "xenophobic"; they are policies that will benefit the entire nation. I have not been able to grasp why most atheists are liberals; the only politically reasonable atheists I know read, study, and admire Objectivism (Ayn Rand).

Who are the Trump voters? People who are educated like myself (and a woman too), Latinos in higher numbers than Romney, blacks in higher numbers than Romney got, mainstream Republicans, and -- here is the big one -- Democrats who voted for Obama but flipped for Trump. It's not just "Uncle Ned" (thank you Darrel Ray) who shows up to Thanksgiving dinner gloating that Trump won.

Why don't you all quit freaking out and give him a chance? I've never seen people so unhinged over the results of an election. Are you that mentally unstable?

Whatever your beliefs, he is our next President, and it will go easier on you if you at least TRY to be reasonable. Sadcryface2

I find it ironic that you ask us to be reasonable, because what you just posted is so wholly intellectually incoherent. I'm not even sure how to list everything wrong you just asserted in one post. For now, I'll keep it simple: You cannot believe in both Randian political philosophy and the laissez-faire economics she championed while simultaneously believing that the economic policies Trump has proposed throughout his campaign are tenable. Trump's stated positions are antithetical to neoliberal economics and his campaign's ascendancy was largely the result of channeling rage in rural America at job loss and wage stagnation that were the result of the neoliberal policies you claim to support.

Either you believe Trump won't follow through with every harebrained economic proposal he absentmindedly spewed on the campaign trail or you don't know what types of economics Rand and the neolliberals that followed her endorsed.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
16-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Is this The Tactic™ the right-wingers have come up with, lately?

They don't listen to what we say, ever, so they assume the same is true of us... and then it (sort of) logically follows that the best way to 'reach us" with The Truth™ is to pretend to be atheists and educated* persons, so they can 'splain it to us?

It's not enough data to call, just yet, but I'm starting to see a pattern.

*By "educated", I do not mean "holds (a) degree(s)", but the much broader sense of "has read books outside of my approved circle of thought and/or degree field".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-11-2016, 11:46 PM
(16-11-2016 11:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Is this The Tactic™ the right-wingers have come up with, lately?

They don't listen to what we say, ever, so they assume the same is true of us... and then it (sort of) logically follows that the best way to 'reach us" with The Truth™ is to pretend to be atheists and educated* persons, so they can 'splain it to us?

*By "educated", I do not mean "holds (a) degree(s)", but the much broader sense of "has read books outside of my approved circle of thought and/or degree field".

It'd be more effective if they weren't so laughably bad at it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-11-2016, 11:51 PM
(16-11-2016 01:56 PM)Belinda Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 12:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  OP you accuse others of fascism when your boy is the epitomy of a personality cult? You have a PhD in economics you say? I happen to have one in economics too, from a *more* prestigious university than yours, and I'm a gay transgendered woman from Neptune.

See how you are? Sarcastic and nasty. All atheists do not have to share the same politics. People need to calm down, especially when someone expresses another point of view, but agrees with you on what is most important.

You care to address the question? IMO if anyone's in danger of fascism it's Trump and his slimy hangers-on. What is most important huh? So all you need to do is say "Yes yes, there is no God" and I'm supposed to swallow the rest of your bullshit without chewing?

I would like to point out that my heart rate is entirely normal, I'm not even mad. So I want you to know that I am perfectly calm when I say that you're an idiot Smile If you've really got a PhD then you won't be the first idiot with a PhD that I've encountered.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Trollololololol

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
17-11-2016, 12:28 AM
(16-11-2016 11:03 AM)Belinda Wrote:  it will go easier on you...

D.
17-11-2016, 03:42 AM
(16-11-2016 11:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Is this The Tactic™ the right-wingers have come up with, lately?

Quote:highly-education atheist
This immediately raised some red flag for me. Shouldnt it be "highly educated atheist", or "higher education atheist"? But ill wait and see what arguments she has to bring forth. Degress dont matter as much to me as content. I have seen enough insanely stupid PhDs next to insanely clever MsCs, etc.. Drinking Beverage

Otoh, i think its a bit hypocritcal to mock her for giving her credentials (if they are correct!) right away, when we had people stepping in here who were immediately asked for their credentials.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
17-11-2016, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2016 04:41 AM by Mathilda.)
(16-11-2016 11:03 AM)Belinda Wrote:  ..."progressives" lost! I am a highly-education atheist from a prestigious university; my Ph.D. is in economics, and I am a woman. I'm also a Trump voter. Why? because Hillary's economic policies would absolutely devastate the economy to a greater extent than Obama's policies already have. He will repeal and replace a healthcare law that is a disaster. He will reduce taxes, both for corporations (we have the highest corporate tax rates in the world) and for individuals He will rebuild the military, which has been devastated by Obama. He will fix a crumbling infrastructure.

These policies are not "racist", "homophobic", "bigoted", "mysoginistic", "Islamophobic", or "xenophobic"; they are policies that will benefit the entire nation. I have not been able to grasp why most atheists are liberals; the only politically reasonable atheists I know read, study, and admire Objectivism (Ayn Rand).

Who are the Trump voters? People who are educated like myself (and a woman too), Latinos in higher numbers than Romney, blacks in higher numbers than Romney got, mainstream Republicans, and -- here is the big one -- Democrats who voted for Obama but flipped for Trump. It's not just "Uncle Ned" (thank you Darrel Ray) who shows up to Thanksgiving dinner gloating that Trump won.

Why don't you all quit freaking out and give him a chance? I've never seen people so unhinged over the results of an election. Are you that mentally unstable?

Whatever your beliefs, he is our next President, and it will go easier on you if you at least TRY to be reasonable. Sadcryface2

What you have done is made an argument from authority (assuming that you are indeed telling the truth, I am sceptical of that) and personal opinion.

You give us no reasons to believe what you say about Trump. Instead you just tell us what to believe because of who you claim to be. Which of course we have no way of verifying.

To demonstrate, let me re-word what you post could have been like if it had been written by someone else and see how much credibility we would have given it.

Quote:..."progressives" lost! I am a lowly-education theist with who left school; I have no knowledge of economics, and I am a straight able bodied white man. I'm also a Trump voter. Why? because Hillary's economic policies would absolutely devastate the economy to a greater extent than Obama's policies already have. He will repeal and replace a healthcare law that is a disaster. He will reduce taxes, both for corporations (we have the highest corporate tax rates in the world) and for individuals He will rebuild the military, which has been devastated by Obama. He will fix a crumbling infrastructure.

Who are the Trump voters? People who are as poorly educated like myself (and a man too), Latinos in higher numbers than Romney, blacks in higher numbers than Romney got, mainstream Republicans, and -- here is the big one -- Democrats who voted for Obama but flipped for Trump. It's not just "Uncle Ned" (thank you Darrel Ray) who shows up to Thanksgiving dinner gloating that Trump won.

[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
17-11-2016, 04:09 AM
(16-11-2016 12:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  OP you accuse others of fascism when your boy is the epitomy of a personality cult? You have a PhD in economics you say? I happen to have one in economics too, from a *more* prestigious university than yours, and I'm a gay transgendered woman from Neptune.

Consider
17-11-2016, 04:24 AM
(16-11-2016 09:51 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 07:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Sparkball?

Unsure

Laugh out load I won't be compromising Fireball family security when I tell you that his name was Edward and mine is Steven. I can say that it was pretty annoying at the time of the newspaper article, since he had dyslexia and couldn't spell to save his life. But I never said that to him, ever. "Sparkball"? Shit, he had the red hair! Laugh out load Mine's from my love of fire and my temper, which "used" to be legendary. Tongue

Steven Fireball.

That has a nice ring to it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post