Face to Faith discussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Face to Faith discussions
I heard the phrase "Face to faith" as a slip of the tongue on "The Star Spot" podcast. It struck me as an interesting topic. Often, when discussing faith with an otherwise intelligent faith-head, I feel I'm talking to someone else when the topic touches on matters of faith than when discussing matters not pertaining to the person's superstitions.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 11:19 PM
RE: Face to Faith discussions
I've actually appeared a couple of times on a ustream talk show as part of a panel discussion with theists. I enjoy it.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
24-04-2013, 07:19 AM
(23-04-2013 10:47 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  I heard the phrase "Face to faith" as a slip of the tongue on "The Star Spot" podcast. It struck me as an interesting topic. Often, when discussing faith with an otherwise intelligent faith-head, I feel I'm talking to someone else when the topic touches on matters of faith than when discussing matters not pertaining to the person's superstitions.

Hey, KC, that's your cue. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2013, 02:07 PM
(24-04-2013 07:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 10:47 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  I heard the phrase "Face to faith" as a slip of the tongue on "The Star Spot" podcast. It struck me as an interesting topic. Often, when discussing faith with an otherwise intelligent faith-head, I feel I'm talking to someone else when the topic touches on matters of faith than when discussing matters not pertaining to the person's superstitions.

Hey, KC, that's your cue. Drinking Beverage

I don't really understand what the OP is saying.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
24-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Essentially, their mentality of faith appears incongruous to their state of reasoning on all other matters.

Pretty sure that was the gist of it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
24-04-2013, 02:16 PM
(24-04-2013 02:11 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Essentially, their mentality of faith appears incongruous to their state of reasoning on all other matters.

Ahh okay.

Nah... many people here think I'm insane.

24-04-2013, 02:22 PM
(24-04-2013 02:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 02:11 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Essentially, their mentality of faith appears incongruous to their state of reasoning on all other matters.

Ahh okay.

KC, you never answered the question I put to you in another thread, and I am still curious.

How do you integrate that everything is preselected and predestined into actual life? If nothing anyone does changes a damn thing, why would anyone bother doing things?

If the outcome is already decided, why make decisions?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-04-2013, 02:43 PM
(24-04-2013 02:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 02:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ahh okay.

KC, you never answered the question I put to you in another thread, and I am still curious.

How do you integrate that everything is preselected and predestined into actual life? If nothing anyone does changes a damn thing, why would anyone bother doing things?

If the outcome is already decided, why make decisions?

No, I did... sec...

I'll paste it.

(24-04-2013 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 06:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  KC, so do you make any decisions? Or are events predetermined so you need not make decisions?

Ultimately... no... I don't make decisions.

Although, my perception of free will makes it seem as if I do make decisions.

Quote:The more I think about this predetermined thing, the more it looks like anything one did would be totally pointless.

Just sit back and let whatever happens, happen, since it was predetermined to happen anyway.

Consider

It would be like that if God wasn't in control of it... meaning... if somehow, I had control of my predestination (contradiction, I know).

God doesn't allow me to "sit back and do nothing". He has given me the desires and wants so that I am in line with the predestined plan.

Edit: Sorry this took so long, Dom.

24-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Sorry, that thread must have dropped out of sight... didn't see your answer.

So when you have to make a life decision that baffles you - you ask god? Or you don't have to, because whatever you end up doing will be what he wants since he hardwired you to be predisposed to making that decision?

I recall you struggling with whether you should speak up about your pastor or not - how exactly did that decision then take shape?

Just curious how you work this, I would feel my life to be quite pointless if everything was predestined to happen anyway.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-04-2013, 03:02 PM
(24-04-2013 02:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Sorry, that thread must have dropped out of sight... didn't see your answer.

So when you have to make a life decision that baffles you - you ask god? Or you don't have to, because whatever you end up doing will be what he wants since he hardwired you to be predisposed to making that decision?

I recall you struggling with whether you should speak up about your pastor or not - how exactly did that decision then take shape?

Just curious how you work this, I would feel my life to be quite pointless if everything was predestined to happen anyway.

Like I said, because of my perception, I feel as if I have some say-so; however, everything is completely predestined. It doesn't feel that way to me, though... since I'm not omniscient.

Also, and this is just my personal belief, I think God gives us a perception of free will in order avoid the inevitability feeling of uselessness that comes along with the lack of free will.

Our choices feel important because we perceive that they are our own... when in reality, they have all been preplanned by God.

Because of this, I don't feel useless or hopeless. I know God is in control, but that doesn't take away my feeling that my choices are important. But... this is all a perception.